PDA

View Full Version : 250sx quits

POS 250sx
08-15-2008, 03:01 PM
so I got this 1986 250sx for free bout 4 years ago. it runs like a champ screaming loud, i really love the machine, but it was free for a reason, beat to hell. so i put swing arm bearings in it, then axle broke and i welded ring gear to axle shaft, rebuilt carb bout 3 times, it had been converted to 250r front end, poorly, tank is all bashed in, forks were seized broke front axle got new axle and replaced forks with 250s forks. ignition switch came apart, so since starter and the lights didnt work i gutted the wiring, now it has a kill switch and head light switch. seat is recovered with material from a bus seat. i use it mainly for chores cleaning horse stalls etc and mudbogging with my buddies who all have polaris sportsmans.

ok now that you understand what kinda life this machine has had, maybe som1 can gimme some advice. If i keep moving quick, 3rd gearish on trails it runs fine, it screams, runs beautifully, but lately if im doing chores with it in 1st gear and at lower rpms it starts to bog and dies, ill rev it up but she'll die soon as i let off, then she wont restart until i come back in an hour or so. My choke was absolutely fornicated wen i got it, seized and im curious if this could be causing a problem if its seized again, float seems to be working fine. I also just put its busted old fender back on, could this be restricting cooling wen im not going that fast? and is there an overheat kill switch somewhere?

night4creeper
08-15-2008, 04:53 PM
kinda sounds like it is flooding out at idle/low rpms. you might check your air filter and play with the mixture/pilot screw on the carb a little.

POS 250sx
08-16-2008, 12:21 AM
but why is it that it idles fine right after i beat the snot out of it? I road around the trails for about an hour, really opening it up, and when i was done it idled fine, just prolonged idling when im doing chores, it just wont stay running no matter wat i do. i hate to take carb apart and clean it when it runs so perfect when it first starts and when im romping around, or its just sitting idling.