PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed: Tri-Zinger vs ATC 70

Qdude79
06-18-2003, 08:16 PM
OK- I've got a dilemma. I'm looking for a cheap mini for my young ones to learn on. I've got a line on both bikes at a decent price. W/out getting into specifics of these particular bikes, tell me:

All things equal (age, condition, price, etc.), WHAT WOULD YOU GO WITH???

The Zinger is 60cc 2 stroke, 70 is 4 stroke.

Zinger = one speed 70 = shifter.

Yamaha vs. Honda???
Which one is faster, more reliable, more valuable, easiest to get parts for, etc. In other words:
WHICH ONE WOULD YOU GO WITH AND WHY?
TIA- Qdude

Trikeaholic
06-18-2003, 08:31 PM
I bought the zinger, because of the front suspension, and more "safety" features, like the throttle limiter and lanyard kill switch. I also bought it for my sons 2nd birthday, so I figured he would learn on it sooner. Well, he is 3 1/2 now, and still has no interest in learning to ride it. At least his feet touch the pegs now!

Howdy
06-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Either machine is good. I personally ( my kids also ) like Honda so I have 2 70's for my boys and Pickles Daughter. I like 70's because New parts ( after market and OEM ) are still available. Not all parts but a lot of them. Also my kids are 6+ now so they need to learn to shift and yet be on machines they can handle. At the rate they are going they will be riding 90cc's soon.

I really have no problem with the TriZingers. They have many benifits also. The no shifting is a plus for beginers. They also have a teather cord for teaching.

just my 2 cents.
Howdy

bbechtel16
06-18-2003, 09:59 PM
I'd go with the Honda, because of learning shifting and such. Shifting isn't real hard to master on an auto-clutch 4-stroke so it's still good for learning. If you start them on an auto they might go to the dark side (Polaris, the we're auto freaks company; or quads in general, since there aren't really and big fully auto trikes that I'm aware of. Either would be a decent choice though.

350Xccelerator
06-18-2003, 10:09 PM
i have a 2 70s and they are great for kids a whole bunch of my lil cousins have leard on it. You'll enjoy riding it too i garanty it.

jenndnn3
06-18-2003, 10:27 PM
There is alot to be said in teaching a child to shift....My eldest still forgets....(as I wince) the middle has it down, the youngest just wants to ride......Mine are 8,7, and 6

The absolute best advice is this......Take the young one with you and have them ride each and let them decide.......check how it fits the youngun...how well they can reach each important thing, ie brakes, gas, if there is shifter...have them shift....its easy to shift down for the youngun, much harder to shift up.......Some get it down great others do not....It is basically which one will fit them the best......

TimSr
06-19-2003, 02:08 AM
TimJr started on a Zinger at age 3 1/2. About a 2 years later we also had an ATC70. By then he was a seasoned rider and really enjoyed hopping on the 70 and shifting, but even then he was having trouble with it on the trails, shifting on the fly, and trying to figure out which gear he should be in for the situation.
The Zinger handles much better than the Honda, center of gravity is lower, and its more stable. Both machines are very reliable. The Zinger brakes are junk, and the Honda ones work much better. The Honda also has the advantage of some engine braking on downhills where the Zinger will free roll. The Zinger's shaft drive is a godsend, from a maintenance perspective. Im all for learning to shift, but when your dealing with 3,4 and 5 year olds, they are having enough trouble judging when to use gas and brakes without trying to figure out what gear they should be in for a particular incline. A lot of kids this age still cant balance a bicycle. For 7-9 year olds its a different story. Also the 70 is a little larger and more suited to kids a little bit bigger than the Zinger. For younger kids, 3-6 years old, Id recommend the Zinger over the 70 without hesitation, and avoid major downhills. For older kids, and more experienced, the 70 would be better suited.
Performance wise the Zinger has a lot more gettup and go, and as I stated before, handles much better. The 70 gearbox gives it a much wider range and much higher top speed. Its also great for learning the basics of shifting which I feel should come after learning the basics of riding.

Ivan T
06-19-2003, 02:31 AM
I would go with the 70, it may be a bit more difficult in the first week but once the neccessary skills have been acquired it is a bike for life.
We have had one of our 70s since about 1986 and my dad, brother and I still ride it.
Not saying it is all you need but it is still fun.

josh_michels
08-01-2003, 04:15 PM
quads in general, since there aren't really and big fully auto trikes that I'm aware of.

Don't forget the Polaris 250r/es trike. Big (and i mean real big), 2 stroke, fully automatic. Not saying that its a good thing...its just a thing.

Josh