PDA

View Full Version : 85 Honda 250 SX Questions

zainyD
08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey guys and gals, I just found this forum and figured it would be the perfect place to get some info on the new-to-me 85 Honda 250 SX that I have sitting in my garage. The most awesome part about this trike is that I got it for FREE!!!! I couldn't believe my luck! I has been used, but not abused and I don't think it has a lot of hours on it.

Anyway, it ran when it was parked, but it's been a while since that time. The guy I got it from had pulled the carb, gas tank, air box, etc to clean them up but never had the time to work on it. I bought a new spark plug, battery, oil, etc for it yesterday and ordered some Maier replacement plastic for the rear today. I doubt very much that this thing has ever been serviced and it still has the original tires on it.

I have cleaned the carb, installed the new plug, and almost got everything back together. I also cleaned out the gas tank and airbox. I still need to purchase a new oil filter and air filter, change the oil and diff fluid, etc. I should probably find a replacement spark plug wire/coil as the boot on the one I have is torn. I will also check the valve clearance.

Here's my first question, do I need to follow any special procedures when I attempt to start it for the first time?

What other things do I need to address before I start it up?

As I already mentioned the tires are original and are terribly dry rotted. I need suggestions as to what replacements I should buy. I live in Florida so most of my wheeling will be in mud and sandy trails. I will probably just keep the same size tire as what is on the trike currently which is 22x11x8. I saw that ITP makes a Mud-Lite in this size and that Carlisle has a few tires in that size. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get this thing back on the trails again!!!

beets442
08-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Sounds like you have everything in order. JC Whitneys has some parts and tires that are cheap. Service Honda also for some factory parts maybe worth a try.http://www.servicehonda.com/ Beets

zainyD
08-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Does anyone have experience buying ATV tires through Wal-Mart? Good? Bad?

Dirtcrasher
08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
I never seem to have any luck when I buy cheap tires, esp if you ride toiugh trails with rocks etc etc. I usually spend 65 to 85$ a tire and they last me a good long time.....

zainyD
08-15-2008, 05:20 PM
I called the local motorcycle/atv place and am gonna pick up some tires and an oil filter tonight. They didn't have the air filter in stock, but said they should be able to get it by early next week.

They have ITP Mud-Lites in stock so I'll put those on the back and probably a Kenda front tire since they have tires specially designed for the front.

If all goes according to plan I should have it running by the end of next week!

zainyD
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I filled the gas tank and tried firing it up, but haven't had any luck yet. It'll start with a little spray of starting fluid, but won't run more than a second or two. I've cleaned the carb, but I didn't rebuild it. I have spark, so it seems to be a fuel issue. Do I need to clean out my carb again?

erectordale
08-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Check and make sure you are getting fuel in the fuel line at the carb the petcocks are bad about plugging if that's ok clean the carb again this time pull all the jets and with a torch tip cleanning set or small fine wire check all the orifice holes in the carb make sure air will blow through them. normally it's a petcock or plug jet when you have these symptons

Jonpin
08-19-2008, 02:36 PM
yea im in florida to i would say mudlites should be badass i was wanting to get a set of good year raw hide 3's i just like that patern where in florida do you ride im in melbourne and its hard to find a local place theres like one good place left in grant

zainyD
08-20-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm in Polk County, but will probably ride up in Richloam, Croom, etc.

Gonna give starting it another try today. I pulled everything apart on the carb yesterday and gave it a good cleaning. Hopefully, that'll do the trick.

Itrike
08-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I have had 3 1985 250sx still have one, great bike just not real fast. I don't use the steal tanks the ones i had all have rust and it would almost always clog the carb. I use a plastic tank now and have no problems, pluss they dont dent, my bike is a rider not a garage queen. I think the tire choises you made will work fine. Like was mentioned just keep an eye on the diff oil. Also make sure that front tire don't rub the forks.

zainyD
08-20-2008, 01:20 PM
IT RUNS!!!!!

I cleaned out the jets more thoroughly this time and she fired right up after a few cranks. Now I just need to fine tune the idle and I'll be set. Eventually I will probably buy a rebuild kit for it. I don't have a lot of experience with carbs so this was a learning experience for me.

Itrike, thankfully, it already has a plastic Clarke tank on it. As far as the diff oil goes I checked it last week and it was nice an clean. I will keep an eye on it through. I'm gonna try to keep it out of the real deep water and mud, it'll mostly by a trail bike.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

I can't wait to get a set of tires on this thing so I can take it out for a spin!

Frankencelery
08-20-2008, 01:55 PM
You're gonna love it. Not being a need-for-speed type myself, my SX is my best rider.

You learned something about tires that I'm just figuring out now...that there's a difference between front and rear tires. I knew that there were some low-profile tires for the back, but I had no idea that some tires are designated front only. I just put 3 Cheng Shin C827's on my SX. I probably should have used something else in the back!?!?

hublake
08-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Does anyone have experience buying ATV tires through Wal-Mart? Good? Bad?

I recently got 3 OEM tires from my Honda dealer for my 85 250sx. Cost $42.00 each.

Jonpin
08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
I recently got 3 OEM tires from my Honda dealer for my 85 250sx. Cost $42.00 each.

wow thats pretty cheap

zainyD
08-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I picked up my rear tires and air-filter this evening, but they were still working on the front tire so I'll have to get it tomorrow. Said they were having trouble getting the valve stem to seal properly.

I'm going crazy with anticipation!!!!

tri-Z ripper
08-20-2008, 08:49 PM
:welcome: to the boards! youll have a blast on that thing till you want speed then youll be a trike junkie just like the rest of us:lol:

zainyD
08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
tri-Z ripper, I'm sure you're right. This one will have to do for now though.

So far I've got about $600 invested in parts/labor getting it fixed up which isn't too bad I think. I have done all the labor/work except the tires so that's saved me a lot of money.

The shop called and said my front rim is rusted out around the valve stem preventing it from sealing properly even with a special stem. So, I had them order a new rim, thankfully it was only $30 from Honda. I was hoping to have it back on the trial this weekend, but that's not gonna happen. I am really starting to get impatient!!!! On the up side my new Maier rear fenders should be delivered tomorrow so I'll have everything done by the time the front tire is finished.

Tom Petty said it best when he sang, "....the waiting is the hardest part."