PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke- Why?

WaimakRydah
08-15-2008, 03:41 AM
I have noticed when my 200S is in neutral and i give it high revs suddenly a cloud of black smoke will puff out. However ive been riding it up the driveway and looking to see if it happens while the bikes in motion and it doesnt. Why would that be. It doesnt happen when Im just normally riding it. I also have reason to believe my bike is running quite rich. Would that have something to do with it. Its been doing this for quite some time now.

torker
08-15-2008, 07:39 AM
That's exactly what black smoke means...too much fuel.
TORKER.

WaimakRydah
08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for that. I just wanted to be sure it wasnt anything more serious.

torker
08-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Maybe it's time to go thru it. dissasemble the hole thing and clean everything very good with lots of carb cleaner and put back together. See if you can find the factory setting (if your trike is stock) and start from there. Carbs do wear out so check everything really good. Good Luck
TORKER.

WaimakRydah
08-15-2008, 07:34 PM
do you know where I could find the factory setting? The carb isnt the original carb but its very similar and I cant notice any differences apart from the number engraved on the side of it. Ill have to wait til i get more fuel before I can trial the different settings. Ive been doing some playing around with it earlier today and making the needle more leaner but it didnt make much difference. Im guna go on a trail ride tomorrow as it is then I will try some more different settings.

cr480r
08-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Is the air filter clean?

drhatc200
08-15-2008, 10:02 PM
i had same problem on my 85 200x rebuilt carb it actually idles now lol got kit for $11

WaimakRydah
08-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Is the air filter clean?

I personally dont think it would be the air filter as its been doing this for quite some time and ive cleaned the filter several times since its been doing it.

i had same problem on my 85 200x rebuilt carb it actually idles now lol got kit for $11

Was it a carb rebuild kit? Did you need to adjust it at all or did it idle as soon as u rebuilt it?

Nick_R_23
08-15-2008, 11:08 PM
A BIG +1 on the carb rebuild kit...I bought mine and installed it and it ran like new!! You will have to adjust the mixture screw, but if you put it at the factory setting, it puts it close enough most of the time.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Erics350x
08-16-2008, 12:15 AM
set the mixture screw at 1.25 turns out

WaimakRydah
08-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Just an update. I installed my XR carb that ive never got to work good until now. It only runs perfect with the choke in the halfway position but it idles beautifully like that and has no high rev miss. I still think I am running it rich but that isnt really causing any problems. In saying this I havent yet rode it with this carb working as it is due to having a broken chain at the moment.

Erics350x
08-20-2008, 08:21 AM
You either have a clogged main jet or you need a couple sizes bigger main. It'll never run at full power at half choke

WaimakRydah
08-21-2008, 03:46 AM
You either have a clogged main jet or you need a couple sizes bigger main. It'll never run at full power at half choke

It sounds more healthier then it did with the original carb and it has no high rev miss so it would be quicker then what Ive been using the last few monthes