PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cagiva owners....questions..

Eric250R
08-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Well, I was lucky enough to get my hands on, but I know little to nothing about these machines. It had been traded around and sold many times to alot of people who had no idea what it was and each one took a few more parts off of it. I'm left with little more than a frame, bottom end, and air box. The guy I got it from put me in touch with the guy he got it from and so on. The last guy I talked to says the guy he got it from still has most of the parts for it but I"m not holding my breath. So, I know it can't be a full on accurate restoration and I"m going to have to cut a few corners, but I"d like to get it close.
I can have a swing arm fabbed up and I"m sure I can find some tripples and forks to fit it. I know the rear fenders are from a T-3 so no problem there, same with the front being from a R. I'm assuming the seat from a T-3 could also be used ? But here's the main thing, I need engine parts, practically the whole thing. Does anyone know if Cagiva still offers parts for this engine ? Are they even still in business ? I heard that Husky bought them out. I'm sure I"ll have more questions as I get started. But please feel me in on anything I need to know. Thanks.

MTS
08-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Ill do some digging tommrow, Might be able to help you out,

torker
08-15-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm sure that you'll be able to get engine parts if you knock on the right doors. Some parts you may not find in the US, but there's plenty in Europe. There's a very good magazine on classic, restored bikes (can't remember the mag's name, I think it's CLASSIC BIKES) with lots of parts info of all makes including some that are not around anymore.
Internal engine parts for the top end should be easy, so should be a crank and rod. Clutches and baskets should also be easy. What exactly are you needing? Can you post a parts list? Star there, we'll try and help you out.

:pics: :pics: :pics: PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSEEEE!!!!!!!
That's mandatory...
TORKER.

Orangecnty250r
08-15-2008, 07:55 AM
The cagiva engine parts are extinct. I have had sources look in several countries including italy. after the buyout the trashed all the old stock....very sad indeed.

Bigbore
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
The cagiva engine parts are extinct. I have had sources look in several countries including italy. after the buyout the trashed all the old stock....very sad indeed.

I don't know whether to congratulate you for feel sorry for you! O'h well, Congratulations! :beer

I agree with OC. Over the last 3 years I've bought almost every Cagiva part that I could get for my restoration. Engine seals, pistons, are all tough. I spent a lot of time with an Italian family member in Italy, and got some NOS parts.

Your resto or rebuild is going to be long and expensive road. Post some of the parts you need and I can dig through some boxes and see what I've got.

I can machine the triples for you, and fab some of the other parts.

scooterroo
08-15-2008, 11:02 AM
tooo cool, congrats on getting a cagiva, even if it isnt complete.

SWIGIN
08-15-2008, 11:10 AM
i rode with a dude who had a cagiva back in the mid 80s (no idea on the exsact year...maybe 84 or 85)

it was brand new and i didnt even know what it was at the time but he always had a back pack full of spare parts. he told us that it was to hard to find parts for so he had parts with him.

even back then (acording to him ) it seems they were hard to get parts for...or at least in a hurry

torker
08-15-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm sure that you'll be able to get engine parts if you knock on the right doors. Some parts you may not find in the US, but there's plenty in Europe. There's a very good magazine on classic, restored bikes (can't remember the mag's name, I think it's CLASSIC BIKES) with lots of parts info of all makes including some that are not around anymore.
Internal engine parts for the top end should be easy, so should be a crank and rod. Clutches and baskets should also be easy. What exactly are you needing? Can you post a parts list? Star there, we'll try and help you out.

:pics: :pics: :pics: PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSEEEE!!!!!!!
That's mandatory...
TORKER.

Guess I was wrong :confused: :confused: :confused:
Maybe you can use newer Cagiva parts???
TORKER.

Eric250R
08-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I knew this would be a major uphill battle, but I couldn't pass it up. And that's truly dissapointing about Husky trashing all the old stuff. The motor is a WMX250 correct ?
But as I said I'm still holding onto a very small glimer of hope that one of the previous onwers still has some parts.
The main things I need are engine parts and the Tank. The rest I can piece together. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to do a ground up resto with all original parts. But, with the hard times that have fallen, I simply can't afford to compete with some of the hard core collectors. I"m not saying I"m just going to through it together with junk, not at all, but some corners will have to be cut.
I have a really good bottom end. And matching bearings and seals up won't be much of a problem. It also still has the stator and flywheel. I need both side cases, the whole top end,( including piston) and the whole clutch setup. I"m sure a few other odds and ends.
Once again, thanks alot for your help, and anything some of you may have laying around would be nice if you would part with it:lol:

Orangecnty250r
08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I recently threw an extra tank out because I knew it wasnt worth to list it on ebay...when I bought mine it came with an extra front hub ...subframe, seat and white old school maier rear fender with the cagiva emblem on it. I have built more than a half dozen tigers (a few model svery rare). The cagiva by far has been the hardest build I have ever done....my motor looks brand new but eventually will need some parts to get running other than that It should be done in the near future and look close to brand new....BUT this is what this hobby is about!!!! so go for it if it makes you happy!!!!

3or4wheels
08-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Cagiva made a 3 wheeler?That would explain the Motoplat ignition on my 87 t3 that has the Cagiva name on the coil.The kicker also was a Cagiva part made to fit which I trashed for an original item.

Eric250R
08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I recently threw an extra tank out because I knew it wasnt worth to list it on ebay...when I bought mine it came with an extra front hub ...subframe, seat and white old school maier rear fender with the cagiva emblem on it. I have built more than a half dozen tigers (a few model svery rare). The cagiva by far has been the hardest build I have ever done....my motor looks brand new but eventually will need some parts to get running other than that It should be done in the near future and look close to brand new....BUT this is what this hobby is about!!!! so go for it if it makes you happy!!!!

You threw out a tank ??:eek: :cry: Wow, that sucks. But yeah, I"m going to do the best I can with it and guess I"ll just have to do alot of searching.

3or4wheels, yes there were Cagiva 3 wheelers, they were made by Tricky Dick's.

whiteman350x
08-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Your best bet is to find a 84 wmx250 dirtbike. That will get you the engine parts and tank. I found one complete on ebay. It took 5+ plus years tho. Anybody have a repair book on the engine?

Epix FQX
08-17-2008, 07:27 AM
a while back i came across this website.
its mostly MX bikes but since the wmx is virtualy the same as the trike.
they have dealers listed in the parts for sale area that "as they say" wont hang up the phone or laugh at you when you ask for cagiva parts.

www.cagivawmx.com

i hope this can help you guys out.

Orangecnty250r
08-17-2008, 10:27 AM
a while back i came across this website.
its mostly MX bikes but since the wmx is virtualy the same as the trike.
they have dealers listed in the parts for sale area that "as they say" wont hang up the phone or laugh at you when you ask for cagiva parts.

www.cagivawmx.com

i hope this can help you guys out.

Yup tried those guys

OZQUAD44
08-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Good luck bloke

Because it came from a two wheeler, I'm sure most of the conversion bits. Ah-la Kawasaki and Honda, should be easy to get. They seem to have been sourced from what ever was the standard at the time.

Seems like the bits your after are the rare bits. Aint it always the way (haven't got a KXT250B inlet manifold by chance have you?). I'd have to agree with previous posts. I'd be Looking for the two wheeler as a whole. Does a husky motor fit in that frame?

Am I right in thinking the Cagiva 250cc, whilst very quick, was actually 200cc?

scooterroo
08-17-2008, 11:31 AM
have you guys searched for anything from tricky dicks? wasnt there a post on here awhile ago, maybe a long time ago, where one member or someone knew the guy that made the tricky dicks conversions or something like that?

Eric250R
08-17-2008, 12:00 PM
OZ, no sorry on the intake, but a friend has a few spare T-3 parts and I"ll see what he has. As for the engine, it'a actually a 190cc making 38 horsepower.

And yes, I"m aware my best bet for parts is finding a WMX dirtbike which is what I have been searching for. I've found a few 83 model parts, anyone know what years will interchange ? Oh, and no I don't think the husky engine will work. Most of the one's I"ve seen have had the chain on the right side. Speaking of which, anyone know if a front sprocket from another machine will work ? Also back to the seat, was this a one off by Tricky dicks, or did they use the seat from the bike or the T-3 ?

Epix FQX
08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
if i'm not mistakin the 83 and 84 wmx250 didnt change.
so they are actualy the same machine.
but you'd have to check that couse i'm about 85% sure on that.

over here in the netherlands i know 2 guys that are selling the wmx125 but i dont know if the 250 and 125 parts interchange!