PDA

View Full Version : helmet?

saturnthegiant
08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm getting my 125m tomorrow, plan on doing some riding this weekend! for those of you in the know, what is a good brand, affordable helmet? And what is the right type to get?

I saw a few on ebay, didn't know if they were the right type or not.

MO dx
08-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Dennis kirk has alot of ones on sale right now

cr480r
08-14-2008, 09:35 PM
I would not buy a helmet without putting it on my head first.. I would go down to your local bike shop and at least try them on...even if you do end up buying mail order.

scooterroo
08-14-2008, 09:36 PM
yeah the dealerships usually have good selections. probably your best bet!

TriMotoMan
08-14-2008, 09:49 PM
i got my THH helmet for 30 bucks and its just as good as my 120 dollar oneal helmet

money89tractors
08-15-2008, 12:37 AM
IF you have a Gander Mountain near you, they have VERY good helmets for around $70.

-Phil

saturnthegiant
08-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Yeah theres a Gander Mountain on my way home from Little Rock, i'll check it out. Thanks. And yes i was wondering how you would determine the size you need without trying it on!!!LoL

topless
08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Our local bike shops have good selections and high prices. Every brand fits a little different and I would not buy one without trying one on.

Aka_am
08-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I got lucky with mine, both are the same brand, differant models, but same size, my personally helmet fits perfect, the other one, it seems too small, but just right for all my double up'ees

WaimakRydah
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I would personally go for a thor helmet. But theyre quite expensive.

HondaManr
08-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Fulmer helmets are nice, and also arent priced bad either.

maggiesboy
08-16-2008, 08:24 PM
A helmet is like an insurance policy.... pump alot of money into something that you need, but hope to never need to use it.

I wear ARAI, they have saved me before, I will wear them for along time. They are a bit of money, but the comfort is well worth it.

Dirtcrasher
08-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Unrelated story......

I'm working at the New England Patriots Foxborough Stadium where hard hats are required. 2 days ago, a guy on a JD Gator flipped over and it was bad bad bad. his hard hat flipped off... He died twicw in the helicopter and now he's in a coma.

Those dam hard hats don't stay on or do chit. And neither does a helmet that doesn't fit right or doesn't get latched. Too many guys refuse to strap on their helmet and I can't see why??

Go down and try on the a helmet, then order the one you like in the same size. Wear it all the time and strap it too!!

mikeftlaud
08-16-2008, 08:51 PM
I bought a HJC Cromium helmet. It is like a chrome silver with red and other colors over the chrome look. Looks very cool. I paid over $300 for it. Remember if you have a $50 dollar head wear a $50 dollar helmet. I learned the hard way. Did not wear my helmet just to test run my 250R down the street and back. That is the only time I wrecked it. I broke everything on my face and had to have reconstructive surgery. I also broke my T-7 vertebre and hand. But most damage was to my face and neck. Not to mention the road rash and the neat ride in the helicopter.

BigReds Forever
08-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I like HJC as well. I have a little older CL-X4 that has served me well. A great site to look at for great priced gear is http://www.newenough.com

money89tractors
08-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I know i stated Gander Moutain has helmets for $70 or so, but i was unsure of the brand. The Brand name is Raider.

Some of you say the price of a helmet is related to how good it is, which is possible. With these raider helmets, ive had great luck.

I rolled my monster of an ATV (500 Arctic Cat 4x4) over myself at around 30mph on pavement and the helmet kept my pumpkin safe. Granted it was a BAD roll over, the helmet kept my head from being smashed and split. I recogment them highly for anyone like me who doesnt have a lot of money to spare on some things.

-Phil

drhatc200
08-17-2008, 11:56 AM
well here is what i got for $60 from a boy i work with he had it sitting on his shelf and didnt need it anymore since he sold his 4 wheeler.