PDA

View Full Version : '83 ALT 125 Warmup then dies

RAA!
08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
So the bike runs great after starting, good power etc. But after about 10-20 minutes it starts to bog a bit when I give it throttle, a little while after that though its gone. It will hold and idle and not die for a long time but if i give it any gas it will mostly bog and die on me. If I let it sit for a minute or two it will run just fine, for about how long I let it sit for.

It's just really annoying, the bike has been like this for about 10 years and we could never figure it out. I had the carburetor looked at and cleaned, with some parts replaced. And got a new gas cap, plug, hoses etc...

I searched for this problem on the forums, and from what I found it looks like it could either be:

Fuel starvation, we think the fuel floats get stuck and just choke it.

Or the Stator coil, but I don't think this is it since it will idle for a long time after it will just bog to throttle.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm going on a trip with some friends and I just gotta get this running good before then (this is my first time riding a 3-wheeler, 'just really exited) :cry:

kltmojave
08-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Look at the fuel pump I had something simular go wrong with mine, I replaced my fuel pump and probelm went away. Just a thought.

RAA!
08-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I was just thinking about that but... would it really be heat related? 'Cause its not that close to the engine. :o I'm willing to try it though. This problem has been with the bike for years...

It seems to sloooowwwwllly run worse and worse until it can't even hold an idle then dies x_x

Taiser
08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Seen that before, in my case it was cracked manifold...very small crack but it could also be just an improper seal/o-ring. Everything is nice and tight when cold but warms up and crack expands, lets air in, mixture gets to thin and stalls. Let it sit, cools off a bit and works again until it expands. You can check the manifold with a bright light or better yet get a shop to do a NDT test on it, they can dye it and look for any defects with a black light!