PDA

View Full Version : KLT 250 C1 Prairie owned by a new guy.

kltrider
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, I have been searching for a couple days on anything I can find on my machine. There has been a load of great information so far.

My KLT is in really good condition, the only thing that it needs is a fuel pump. I haven't been able to find one locally, and online they are more money than I want to pay. Is there a different pump that would work?

Thanks for the help. Here is a pic of my new KLT.

LonesomeTriZ
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Does it have a locking hub? I love that feature.

kltrider
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
yeah, it is a '83 and has the locking rear hub. Makes the thing turn real easy. Now if I could just find a fuel pump that works I would be in business.

ATC-Eric
08-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Do you know if the pump is a pulse pump or not?

If this guy works Ive got a couple good ones layin around I would hook you up with cheap. This is a generic pulse pump, one in, one out.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n73/ericbs200/DSC00003.jpg

kltrider
08-13-2008, 11:21 AM
It is an electric pump and I don't think that it is a pulse pump. It is a pretty simple thing, it turns on with 12V from the key and thats about it. I am sure I could rig up a universal pump, but I am not sure what fuel pressure I would need, or what kind of flow to look for.

If anyone has that kind of info that would be great.

McDerry
08-14-2008, 12:37 PM
$12 12v pump from a autoparts store. Would have to make your own mount and wiring, etc...

Frankencelery
08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
My KLT200 had a generic pump in it, and it ran....sort of. I ended up scrapping it for parts, but that was because it needed an engine rebuild and I couldn't justify the cost. I'll bet the small generic electric pump will work.

kltrider
08-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Alright, I picked up a 12V pump at the auto parts store, and everything works. The pump I got is 2.2-3.5 psi and flows fuel well.

I was able to get the thing running, but the only way to keep it running is to leave it on full choke and feather the throttle. It pops and sputters and the second I move the choke off of full it dies. Any ideas on what I need to do to make it work? I am guessing the carb needs tuning because the guy I bought this thing from just put in a carb kit and the carb is clean.

Any help?

thx