PDA

View Full Version : 200s axle troubles

nickvo
08-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post!

so anyways i have an atc 200S but dont know what year and i have 2 questions. first, what is the little splined knob to the bottom right of the recoil do? is it a high/low or reverse or something or just a dummy for the ones that actually have something?

second, my chain is loose and the axle is on angle because the bolts that hold the axle in place and that are used for tightening the chain dont hold. the chain side gets pulled in close making my chain loose and the 3 wheeler drag to the right. this is not a user error here and i am making sure they are tight, and i mean tight! right now i put on a motocross chain off my bike on it and it is helping because it is a much stronger chain and can deal with the angle but it makes that nasty clunk sound that a loose chain makes. does anybody know how i can fix this?

i really want my boat...*ahem* i mean 3 wheeler running properly again!

Thanks!:D

1984ATC200S
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
the splined knob is the neutral indicator it should have a little plastic thing with an arrow on it pointing to the N on the starter case theres a clip that holds it on, i lost my clip but still have the plastic thing. as for the Axle i haven't been that deep into mine "yet" .

nickvo
08-12-2008, 10:24 PM
ok thanks, i had no idea about the nuetral thing. i dontk now if its just natural wear and tear on the axle but i do abuse the poor thing haha, jumping it over jumps it shouldnt be jumped (being a motocross guy), getting it just over the seat in water and all that good fun. thanks!

1984ATC200S
08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
yeah i jump mine to and had water up to the gas cap the other day but its a Honda! how are the rubber bushings in your sprocket? that could be some part of it.

nickvo
08-12-2008, 10:37 PM
the rubber bushings are fine, but the whole axle is angled slightly to the right which makes the front and rear sprockets not line up properly

Russell 350X
08-13-2008, 12:07 AM
The 4 bolts in the axle carrier will tighten, or are the nuts that are supposed to be inside broke loose from the welds?

nickvo
08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
the nuts are still in good shape and there are no broken welds or anything but no matter how much i tighten them, they do not want to hold

nickvo
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
anybody???

Frankencelery
08-13-2008, 07:27 PM
It's been so long since I've had mine apart...could you be missing washers on the bolts?

nickvo
08-14-2008, 10:13 AM
as a matter of fact, there are no washers on any of the bolts. i will put new washers on and hopfully it will work

Frankencelery
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't know if that's it or not, I can't remember if they're supposed to HAVE washers, but it might fix your problem. I know mine's never slipped, but I haven't had a chance to look and see if there's washers or not.

1984ATC200S
08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
There should be a flat washer with a lock washer on top of it under each of the bolts
except the bolt that holds the adjuster on, there is just a lock washer on that bolt.

nickvo
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
yeah my adjuster snapped so i gotta pull it by hand tighten it, pull it again tighten more and keep doing that every time. that cant help at all why the back end slides......

Jonpin
08-19-2008, 02:27 PM
hmm i have a 200e is it maby your bearings have had all they can take and the axle is just crooked in the housing im kinda thinking that might be a problem with mine cause the brakes are crazy one second they go to the ground and then there so tight there draging and the bike wont move i havnt realy messed with it for awhile so i havnt looked i need to clean and start the poor thing befor it rots on me just the 250es and 350x keep me so busy when im not working

nickvo
08-19-2008, 02:45 PM
well its not the bearings or anything, its just the axle mounts dont hold tight enough and you can see they are close to all the way moved back then after 15 minutes they are all the way forward

Jonpin
08-19-2008, 02:55 PM
hmm idk all i can think is get the asjuster fixed that should probly help hold it in place and just tighten the holy H E L L out of the bolts

BigRed_Ryno
08-19-2008, 04:34 PM
A little oil on the thread of the bolts reduces the friction on the thread an you can really crank them up. i sometimes have similar problems with mine.