PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help fast

rm250romper
08-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey everyone, this is an awesome site, now on to my problem.
Got a 185, not sure year or anything but I can't get it to run. It's got really good compression, spark, and is getting fuel. I got a manual, searched the site and have come up with nothing to help me so if anyone has any ideas, that'd be great. Thanks

-Dave

clutchcargo
08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Be more specific. Is it a Honda ATC 185? Is the spark plug wet? Has it been sitting in storage for years? Carb may need cleaning. Make sure you have fresh gas and a new spark plug first. Check your kill switch. Go through all of the basics, cause it might be something simple. How does the air filter look? Maybe the filter is clogged and it's not getting enough air? Also, check your connections on your wiring. Maybe something came unplugged.

rm250romper
08-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey I appologize about the lack of info, it is a honda atc 185, Spark plug is wet, carb was just went through by a local dealer, electrical is all good. It has spark but maybe not enough to fire it, I don't know really, I'll buy a new plug and go from there. Thanks

-Dave

Tri-Z Pilot
08-11-2008, 09:38 PM
compression? put your finger on the spark plug hole and turn the motor over, if your finger is blown off you should have enough to start. clogged airfilter? try starting with it off. possibly incorrect cam or ignition timing? i would try a new spark plug first though i have had new ones that were defective and the machine wouldn't start or run right. any how welcome to the site and keep us posted

cr480r
08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
how old is the gas in the tank? if it has spark, getting it running should be easy assuming it is a mechanically sound engine... did it run when parked?

Erics350x
08-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Pull the plug and dry it out with a flame, crank the engine over a few times with the plug out, then install the plug and try again with the choke down and 1\4 throttle. It also wouldn't hurt to remove the air filter before trying it again.

Daddio
08-11-2008, 10:02 PM
:welcome:
I would start with a new plug. If the plug is wet it could be because it is bad or it could be that the carb is leaking fuel into the engine. How does the inside of your tank look like? If it has any rust in it, it could be getting into the needle seat and letting it flood the engine. It's a Honda it should start right up if everything is in order.;)

rm250romper
08-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the replys, Put a new plug in it and no go, checked spark and it's there just not as much as I would think it would need. So, I guess I'll break out the meter and start checking things. One thing I did notice was that what i think is the generator, the drum that spins under the starter recoil, well whatever it's called, it's rusted pretty good so I'm thinking it needs cleaned to get good power?

YTZ Money Pit
08-11-2008, 11:26 PM
yea, i think when the magnet passes the pickup it induces a voltage, so the rust might make it weaker

Frankencelery
08-12-2008, 12:05 AM
You should see an obvious blue spark when you pull the starter. If it's faint, or especially if it's orange, you have an electrical problem.

Erics350x
08-12-2008, 12:11 AM
yea, i think when the magnet passes the pickup it induces a voltage, so the rust might make it weaker

yea, clean it up with some sand paper or a wire wheel.

YTZ Money Pit
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
also check the resistance in the wires and look for corrosion on the connector ends. that would account for some voltage loss

rm250romper
08-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the ideas. I cleaned up that part and she runs like a champ. I also picked up a couple 250's for 200 bucks, one just needs a carb and throttle cable. http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/793785543.html
I thought it was an awesome deal. Thanks again!
:beer

-Dave

money89tractors
08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Neither of thos are Honda Big Reds. The one on the right looks like an air R.

-Phil

rm250romper
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Yea I know, I don't think he knew much about them

Frankencelery
08-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Everybody's getting R's cheap! I want some of that action! Of course, I've instituted a self-imposed ban on any more trikes. Until I can afford to put a cement floor in the barn (which will be when I win the lottery), I can only keep my trikes in the garage, and 7 is the breaking point!