PDA

View Full Version : ##$@#$@ stupid #$#$# timming chain!

oscarmayer
08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
so yea, i started putting my 200E back together. I'm using the big cam and other power parts on it instead of the 185S as the 185 will be down for a bit.
anyway,
I'm cruzing along perfectly fine and dandy on assembly the top end (mind you motor is still in the trike, so it's a pitta to work on) when i go to put the head on and oops, the timming chain slipped down for the 5th time. NP right? i use my handy handy flex reach claw and grab it just like I did all the 5 times. it slipped down. Well WTF!I can sldie it easly and it is not turning the motor. great! the freakin thing slipped off the dadgum #$%##$#$% 3$%@#%#%@#@#%@$%@ sprocket in the lower end. Now I have to take everythgin back off, including raising the jug up enough to get my fingers in there and get the chain back on the sprocket.

Anyone have any better ideas? Is there a easier way to get it back on the bottom gear? (crank shaft gear)

any help before I go tearing it all down this weekend would be greatly appreciated!

SWIGIN
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
i leave the side cover off till the top end is done this way you just reach in and do it

this is a very common thing to happen so i wouldnt get all wound up over it

oscarmayer
08-11-2008, 02:16 PM
well it's a 200E and the side cover has all the gearing for the electric starter. I tried to remove it but it looks like i'll have to remove a lot more than a few bolts and a simple cover. I knwo if I remove the top end again, i can fix it, but i was trying NOT to have to undo what i jsut did. :/
guess there's not much way around it.

someone PMed me an idea i'll try first, and see, but if is still a pitta, i'll have to take the jug off and do it with the fingers.

Erics350x
08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
you can get it back on from the top if you have patience. shometimes a wire hanger helps

Dirtcrasher
08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I had one do the same thing, and leaving off the side cover until your done IS the best insurance. But, if you rock it bgack and forth and mess with it long enough, you'll get it - took me about 10 minutes to get mine and I had to walk away twice!

SWIGIN
08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
well it's a 200E and the side cover has all the gearing for the electric starter. I tried to remove it but it looks like i'll have to remove a lot more than a few bolts and a simple cover. I knwo if I remove the top end again, i can fix it, but i was trying NOT to have to undo what i jsut did. :/
guess there's not much way around it.

someone PMed me an idea i'll try first, and see, but if is still a pitta, i'll have to take the jug off and do it with the fingers.

i fully understand what needs to come off on your motor....iv bin in maybe 50 of these motors

sounds like you arnt realy up to the task.....for real, im not busting on you.

ether way you are going to be tearing a bunch of stuff off and what are you going to do if it falls again?

Louis Mielke
08-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Get someone who has done it before to help you.

oscarmayer
08-12-2008, 12:14 PM
^ i'm in dallas area, no one lives here. I'm all alone.
:shiftyeyes:

I'll try a coule of things. I'll let ya know how it goes. taking the cover off is a pitta on the 200E cause of all the dadgum gearing there. Before i take it appart i'll try 2 things. once i et it fished up, I'm going to use a price of wire and hold it up so it don't fall again till I install the head and cam.

Twilight
08-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Ive done my 200e a couple times, just let it hang a lil with a screwdriver and rock the motor until the gear catches.

Erics350x
08-12-2008, 09:00 PM
pulling the head makes it easy