PDA

View Full Version : 83-84 swingarm bolt

sunblock
08-06-2008, 02:07 AM
Well I finally sawed my way through my stuck swingarm bolt on my 250r and have managed to remove the swingarm and engine. I know that replacement bolts are not the easiest to find, I also see that one forum member has a good deal on a repoduction of the bolt but I am just curious, what is stopping me from just going to the hardware store and buying a bolt that will do the same job? I know it will be non-oem and lower the trikes value, and maybe ugly but who really cares on an old air fooler. Is there some other reason I am missing??

sbjones73
08-06-2008, 04:49 AM
as long as you don't care and it fits in the bearings and bushings correctly, there is no difference.

you can find engine mounting bolts on ebay for some times a reasonable price.

good luck

dreadhed
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Make sure you get a SS bolt for the hardware store if you can, so it won't rust. I have read not to use grade 8 bolts too. I guess they will snap instead of bend. IDK if it's true or not. If I need a swing arm bolt I would get a hold of Yamahondaman(SP?). He does bad azz work.

ATC-Eric
08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Tritecate350 here on the boards has a couple left for sale, forget the price.

I think the only problem you might run into is where the rear brake pedal mounts.

Daddio
08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Tritecate350 here on the boards has a couple left for sale, forget the price.

I think the only problem you might run into is where the rear brake pedal mounts.

Exactly Eric.

I guess if you don't mind not having rear brakes go for it. Just don't forget how fast these things are.:eek:

sunblock
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Exactly Eric.

I guess if you don't mind not having rear brakes go for it. Just don't forget how fast these things are.:eek:

Thats the only thing that I could think of as well. The rear brake just slides on the bolt, it has a cotter ping to hold it in place. I think mounting the pedal will be easy, its will just behind the head of the bolt making it more difficult to remove than the stock setup.