PDA

View Full Version : I'm running again!!!!!!!!!!!

ccdhowell
08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
My T3 has been down since last Thanksgiving. It died during a run at Little Sahara, Ok two days before Thanksgiving; it was the stator and flywheel. I finally got it back together in April and took it riding with a buddy. Buddy worked on my all day and finally I let him ride it. It took him all of 20 seconds to flip it really nasty; bent the triples. I let it sit until two weeks ago, bought forks and triple off ebay, rebuilt the forks, new bearings in the triples and new Kenda Front Max tire, yea I like the fat front look. I put it all together today and boy do I feel better now. No more bent front end and no more free rides for anybody but another Tecate rider. Most folks just don't understand the powerband of the Tecate engine and can't handle it. I'm used to it and it's still brutal. I rode my Tecate around a bit and it scared the hell out of me twice when the powerband hit and I wasn't even hard it the throttle. Kinda funny, I had forgotten how fast it was...and I've been racing my Raptor all year, it's slow by comparison.

Anyway, I do have a question. I can't seem to get the timing quite right. I bought a stator off ebay and it didn't have the marks to line up with the marks inside the case so I guessed. Got it wrong a couple times, then I got it started and hooked up a tack and got out my timing light and checked and adjusted it until it was where it was supposed to be. But it still doesn't kick right. The kick doesn't freely spin the engine, like the engine is really tight, but take the plug out and it spins freely...it's the timing. Today after I got it back together I took the flywheel off and turned the stator plate clockwise a bit more, I think this retards the timing. Anyway, it kicks the same, still bound up, but when you get it running, it's not too hard, starts pretty good really. After it fires off it idles too high, like it has an air leak and it doesn't have an air leak, I checked. So the question is, will it idle too high and and a little iratically if the timing is retarded just a bit too far?

Thanks,
Chris

scooterroo
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
cool beans chris. glad to hear its up and running again. what kind of stator is the one you bought? is it possible to use the old stator plate with the newer coils? just an idea. your probably a degree or two out on the timing. did you check your carb for the high idle, maybe a bit gummed up or choke is sticking?

83ATC185S
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Hopefully your friend offered to pay for the parts. glad to see another one running again!

tri-Z ripper
08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Hell yeah i dont let anyone ride my trikes without a deposit first unless they themselves own one! LOL

Daddio
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
It does sound like a timing issue. I do know that retarding the timing on a 2stroke will help with over-rev and advancing it will give you more torque and better low-end response. But as far as causing it to idle high and make it kick too hard it almost sounds like it is a little too advanced.

ccdhowell
08-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I took it out for a long ride today. After a while the high idle settled down, probably a little gummed up in the carb from unuse. Anyway that's good.

I'm betting the timing is retarded too much when I tried to run it up high in the rpms, it just fell flat way on top. It hasn't done it like that before. It's jetted real good, and it wouldn't pull in the upper rpms so I'll bet that I'm just a little too retarded (no jokes please). I'm gonna advance it just a smidge and see how it feels.

It did feel damn good riding my trike again. I had forgotten how to ride it well. It took me nearly an hour to feel comfortable on it again. I rode for about four hours today, damn I feel good now.

83ATC, nope stupid SOB just said sorry...we haven't talked since that day. I don't hang around with trash.

Tri-Z, that's my policy in the future. My Tecate's been wrecked twice in the last year, neither time by me. I really need to quit being such a nice guy. I need to take a deposit for a ride, maybe $300 should cover it. But seriously, quad only guys don't know how to ride trikes, any trike, and especially not my scary-ass fast Tecate.

Daddio, I'm gonna advance it a bit and see if I can find a little bottom-end cause I got none now.

Scooteroo, how's your Tecate running?

Chris

cr480r
08-06-2008, 01:05 AM
But it still doesn't kick right. The kick doesn't freely spin the engine, like the engine is really tight, but take the plug out and it spins freely...it's the timing. Today after I got it back together I took the flywheel off and turned the stator plate clockwise a bit more, I think this retards the timing. Anyway, it kicks the same, still bound up, but when you get it running, it's not too hard, starts pretty good really. After it fires off it idles too high, like it has an air leak and it doesn't have an air leak, I checked. So the question is, will it idle too high and and a little iratically if the timing is retarded just a bit too far.

too far advanced... clockwise is advanced..

I'm betting the timing is retarded too much when I tried to run it up high in the rpms, it just fell flat way on top. It hasn't done it like that before. It's jetted real good, and it wouldn't pull in the upper rpms so I'll bet that I'm just a little too retarded (no jokes please). I'm gonna advance it just a smidge and see how it feels. Chris

overly advanced timing will run flat on top... turn the stator counter-clockwise..

ccdhowell
08-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Counter-clockwise was what I had in mind. I just didn't know if it was advanced or retarded, guess I'm the only one retarded around here. Thanks