PDA

View Full Version : 85 Honda Atc200s Rear Bearing Manual Help!

chs10balla
08-03-2008, 06:04 PM
does anyone have a adobe blowup for the 85 honda atc200s or just how to change the rear bearings... thanks

ironchop
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
four bolts that hold the bearing carrier to the frame need to come loose
(be careful that the nut thats welded to the inside of the brake drum backing plate doesn`t break loose due to rust seizure

remove chain cover assembly

remove nut on chain slack adjuster

remove chain

remove wheels and hubs

remove axle nuts (next to brake drum)

remove brake drum cover

find a puller for the brake drum (as I`ve done three S bearing jobs and the drum NEVER came off easily...the last one I did involved breaking the siezed drum off the axle with a hammer because it covered that broken nut I mentioned above and I needed to get the carrier off the frame to press out the drum and I had no torch)

remove axle after you pull the drum assembly

bearings will usually knock out of the carrier easily with a brass bar and hammer going in from behind them from the opposite end

it`s all the other happy stuff you have to remove to get to the bearings that complicates the job tremendously

I used a Alum bar with a little smaller OD than the bearing race to press them in

grease the seal lips and be careful reinstalling stuff not to damage the lip of the seals

assemble in reverse order

DeePa
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
going off of memory.....

break loose the lock nut then the axle nut on the right side of the brake drum

take chain case/chain off

take rear hubs off

disconnect all cables (brake lines etc)

remove axle nuts, brake drum cover, brake drum

slide axle out left side of trike

Remove 4 bolts holding carrier (what houses the axle) to frame, remove chain tensioner

Now that you have the carrier out, you need a long screwdriver or punch. There is a spacer between the two bearings, and you need to push it to the side, get on the outer race of the other bearing (or whatever you can get) and then hit it with a heavy hammer. Work your way around the bearing race until it pops out. Once youre done there, remove the bearing and spacer, then drive the other bearing out towards the outside of the hub.

Good luck, especially if they have never been done and your brake drum may be on the axle pretty tightly.

chs10balla
08-03-2008, 07:40 PM
there is a 10.00 service manual i can buy at http://www.e-junkie.com/shop/product/46223.php would i need to buy that to see how to really take off the back end and replace the bearings or would it not help me at all?

chs10balla
08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
theres that one and this one http://store.payloadz.com/str-asp-i.130937-n.Honda_ATC200S_Workshop_Service_Repair_Manual_198 4-1986_ATC_200_S_eBooks_-end-detail.html

DeePa
08-03-2008, 07:54 PM
do a search for trike manuals here on the board, they are avail for free