PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 250ES Honda

tri snort
07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
I bought an 86 Honda 250 ES Big Red. It is what I think is mint condition. It has been in storage for the last 20 years. I put new tires on it the originals were dry rotted. The trike starts and runs great, but I have to leave the choke on for at least 20 minutes before taking it off. It runs and idels good with the choke on. If I take the choke off it will not idle and it hesitates bad and will backfire when I let up on the gas. Is this normal on these trikes. The original owner told me that it has not had over 10 tanks of gas ran through it. Maybe it needs the carb rebuilt??? Also I changed the oil and the book calls for 10-W-40. oil. I use synthetic oil in everything I own. Mobil syntech 10-w-40. Can I use synthetic oil in this trike OK. or shoudl I use dyno oil. I have a Yamaha 225DX . I have had it since 1983. The Yamaha is geared higher. It seems to me the Honda need another high gear. It seem to be turning several RPM's when in high gear. Thanks for any tips tricks and info that you can provide on my new Honda. I'm still standing strong. I vow to never own a quad. Nothing against them, but it will always be 3 wheels for me!!!!

350x'inNY
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Use Honda 4 stroke oil. Synthetic is made to slip...not good for wet clutches.

Your carb probably needs to do rebuilt/cleaned. Also make sure that you turn on the vent cap on the gas tank and that the fuel filter in the tank/petcock are both clean too.

Sounds like a nice Big Red you found. Post up some pics and welcome to the boards.... where you from??

Bruce

tri snort
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
I live in southern Indiana. I think I will pull the carb off and tear into it and see what it looks like inside. Like I said it hadn't been ran for several years and probably needs cleaned, but I can't see why it runs so good with the choke on. If it is gummed up, I wouldn't think it would run either with it on or off. How many turns out on the pilot jet???

keister
07-31-2008, 11:27 PM
From my experience, the 250ES motor does require the choke for a while before it gets warmed up. Clean the carb and air filter, put in a new plug and replace the fuel filter. While you are at it, replace the gear grease in the rear end. Other than cables / brakes, you probably won't have to wrench on it for another 10 years.
I am always reaching for 6th gear on my Big Red too.
Let's see some pictures!!

tri snort
07-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Her's a picture of my new toy.