PDA

View Full Version : question about ingition and key

y2kane
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
125m 1985 the guy had on craiglist here in NW ohio. sold it to me for $300. Said he lost key. he just put new piston and rings in it. I checked into honda dealer and they want over $50 for a new ignition set. I want to bypass the ignition with maybe a toggle switch or button switch. There is a red wire, a green wire, a black wire and a black and white wire. Which ones do I hook up to what to bypass it to see If I can get it to fire up and then figure out switch to it later? and any other ignition and key set fit this?

thanks

SWIGIN
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
it should have spark if you just unplug the switch.

the most you would have to do is run a jumper between 2 of the wires

y2kane
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
but will the elcetric start work? and which 2 wires?

y2kane
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Ok unpluged the wires and jumped the silinod and she fired right up runs good. now just need to figure out the key part.

ceaserthethird
07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Bite the Bullet and spend the $50 to get a new one ...

Or take it in to a Lock Smith have them make you a Key !

y2kane
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Might have to. It runs real good!! alittle carb adjustment and she idles real nice.

erectordale
07-31-2008, 10:31 PM
OK time too let out a secret I have been doing for yrs taken the key switch too your honda dealer and as long as there still is a number on the out side of the switch the can make you a key costs around 6.00

SeaBass8
08-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Y2Kane - Good deal on that trike man. Dont hack up the switch. Get it working as it should.

And we need some pics of that machine.

y2kane
08-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Ya I think so too. going to try and get one off ebay. The previous owner cut the wires and took the switch apart trying to get it to run. Hooked up a toggle switch right now to the battery and silinode so it will start with little effort. atleast until get a new one. Thanks for all your help guys.

Red250HondainCO
07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Can you hook up a toggle switch just for an on/off to start/shutdown? I am in the same boat. Am a newbie, just bought a 1985 250 es the other day so I am going to ask some really stupid questions.

so thanks in advance guys!

tri again
07-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Can you hook up a toggle switch just for an on/off to start/shutdown? I am in the same boat. Am a newbie, just bought a 1985 250 es the other day so I am going to ask some really stupid questions.

so thanks in advance guys!

The kill switch on the left handlebar should take care of shutting it off.
Almost any motorcycle has a kill switch so they're ez to find.
I have a regular household light switch on one of mine.
Drives EVERYone nutts! so I'll keep it just for that purpose.
"how do you start it?" they ask.
I say , 'flip the light switch" and they don't believe me so they don't get to ride.

I have one with no key switch so I just leave all 4 wires
disconnected, it kick starts perfectly so I never bothered with a battery.

I guess we can find new switches with keys, ebay or dratv/beatrice cycle.
Welcome and good luck trying to NOT buy more trikes.

There are manuals for free in the 'world class help' section with wire diagrams
and everything else.

Red250HondainCO
07-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Great info, thanks. Yes it does start with the kick start and I use the switch on the handle bar to turn it off. Just looking for a cheap easy solution to being able to use a switch to start it. I'll check out the wiring chart.

muthey
07-23-2011, 10:01 AM
if you still don't understand the wire I have posted pictures up previously but the wires go solid black and red jumped is on, and green and black/white off. only jump one set if you are using a jumper, with a universal switch would be fine having it all wired up , but jumping both pairs will accomplish a no spark effect.

Red250HondainCO
07-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Super! thanks!

Red250HondainCO
07-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Mine has the wires jumped. I'm looking at taking the key assembly to a locksmith and getting a new key for it and would like to put it back in. Any ideas on how they connect? Theres only one wire in the back of the key post/assembly to hook anything back up. I'd like to have the key working for people to use without the kick start.

JustEnough
07-25-2011, 07:19 PM
For a replacement keyswitch, this looks like a good alternative, :

5 Wire Key Ignition for Go Kart w/ 2 Keys (http://www.bmikarts.com/item/5-Wire-Key-Ignition-for-Go-Kart-w--2-Keys-04770-5292)

The diameter is .977”, which I think is right for replacement of the Honda keyswitch.

Dirtcrasher
07-25-2011, 07:25 PM
I believe there is a CRF with a key that work for our needs..... Do some searching.

tri again
07-26-2011, 05:54 AM
aaahhhh make 'em all learn to use the kick or they'll
run your starter with the kill switch off. Trust me.
..and they'll ride with their foot on the brake.
If they have to kick it, they'll check everything twice.

Sounds like someone 'hid' your wires. Just be prepared that it may not run if you go digging thru the wires.
so have your wire diagrams out, elec tape and maybe some wire nuts for that temporary repair effect.

Wonder if they cut some wires? The ignition simply unplugs.

I have one with all 4 'ignition' wires hanging in thin air and would like to
buy a key set up too. I need the lock cylinder and the whole thing . 50 bucks with dashboard on ebay.

You are lucky if you can get the number off your lock cylinder
and the honda dealer or almost any locksmith can just make one.