PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tec 175 Beginning

Pages : [1] 2

Vealmonkey
07-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I had some time today so I stripped the rear axle, premix tank and exhaust from the old 175 and started fitting the Pro Tec Suspension kit. You have to remove the axle adjuster, grind the nut down attached to the frame for the bolt that holds the axle adjuster and open the hole up to 7/16". The 7/16" drill bit is a little too big for my drill so I'm going to have to buy one of those bit with the stepped down shank tomorrow morning. I'm not cleaning it up too much as this is the trial fitting and once things are fit and finalized, then I will clean it up and reassemble it. I've got a couple pictures and some pics of the nos parts I've been collecting. The pitures of the frame are kind of dark since it's late and back in my garage. The first pictures is of the trike before removing anything for the suspension kit. The second picture is of the top shock mount bolted in place. The third picture shows the axle and adjuster and oil tank unbolted. The final picture is one of my Pro Tec suspension kits.

trizilla
07-27-2008, 10:04 PM
veal, is the upper shock mount part of the kit? any frame mods to install this?

Vealmonkey
07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Here are some of my nos parts that will be going on the 175. An aftermarket skid plate. An aftermarket headlight cage. Some more of the nos parts I've been collecting with more on the way. Last but not least is the nos Bassani for the 175! The 175 Bassani is different than the 125 model. The 125 Bassani comes with an adapter for the cylinder and is smaller than the 175. The 175 Bassani goes onto the existing exhaust outlet for the 175 and uses the stock attachment spring. There still is alot of bits I need to get. Anyone with nos or really cherry rear fenders and gas tank cover??? Anyone know of a source for nos rear fenders or gas tank cover??? Any info would be appreciated.

Vealmonkey
07-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Zilla, the upper shock mount is part of the kit. The only mods I'm seeing is the removal of nut that is used to hold the axle adjuster in place, it must be ground flat. Also the holes for the bolt for the axle adjuster have to be opened up to 7/16". Also there is a brace between the sides of the lower rear part of the frame and they need to be cut off and ground smooth so it can clear the swingarm. Other than that, everything bolts on into existing bolt holes. The upper shock mount uses the grabbar holes and a hole in the rear of the frame for the airbox.

trizilla
07-27-2008, 10:14 PM
thanks man, guess i'll be on the hunt for a suspension kit. nice little collection of goodies u got there.

Vealmonkey
07-27-2008, 10:20 PM
The collection of goodies and suspension kits grows. 3rd suspension kit thanks to a board member and more goodies on their way too.

Vealmonkey
07-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Here is a page from a magazine article that details what all comes in the Pro Tec suspension kit. The first kit I picked up was missing some pieces, so now that I have a more complete kit, I'm trying to copy the pieces I'm missing. A slow process. Luckily the guys where I work have been really good in helping me make the bits. Now my hold up is the guy that does the aluminum welding is out for awhile so it has kind of put a halt in the process. Work only has aluminum so thick, so I was kind of forced to use what we have there which means that 2 pieces have to be tigged up to make up the thickness the aluminum is lacking. Also, I've been trying how to figure out how to bend the lever for the rear brakes. The lever is kind of tricky as it has multiple bends and I don't think I can do it in the metal break at work. And the lever is really 3 pieces that are bent seperately and then welded together.

fabiodriven
07-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Man, that is sweet! I've never heard of such a thing. I'm curious to see how it comes out.

Vealmonkey
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
There are 2 or 3 here on the boards already. If you do a search, you'll see pictures of one that is pretty nice.

fabiodriven
07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
There are 2 or 3 here on the boards already. If you do a search, you'll see pictures of one that is pretty nice.

I think I saw the one you were referring to, and it is nice! I thought it was gonna look goofy with the axle moved back, but it looks dam good! I like these trikes alot. I've never seen one in person or ridden one, but they sound like alotta fun. Two-stroke, auto? 5 speeds? Maybe i'll come across one someday.

Vealmonkey
07-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, I've just managed to purchase a 1979 mx175 yamaha, so it might not be a 5 speed auto for too long. I have to pick the mx175 up this weekend. Now if I could just get ahold of those dirtwheels articles on the "project 175" I might be in business.

edog
07-28-2008, 06:41 PM
I like that Bassani pipe!!!!!!

Vealmonkey
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
I was working on the frame today. I cut away the rear frame stiffener between the rear frame rails to clear the swingarm and was drilling out my holes for the swinger bolt. The swingarm I'm using uses a 1/2" swinger bolt instead of the regular 7/16" swinger bolt. I got one hole drilled easy enough, but the drill bit seemed dull on the second hole. Wish I had one of those drill doctors!
Also got a nice box in the mail today. First there were 2, now there are 3!

fabiodriven
07-31-2008, 02:12 PM
I was working on the frame today. I cut away the rear frame stiffener between the rear frame rails to clear the swingarm and was drilling out my holes for the swinger bolt. The swingarm I'm using uses a 1/2" swinger bolt instead of the regular 7/16" swinger bolt. I got one hole drilled easy enough, but the drill bit seemed dull on the second hole. Wish I had one of those drill doctors!
Also got a nice box in the mail today. First there were 2, now there are 3!

BTW, the drill doctor is the balls! I love the thing.

Vealmonkey
08-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Okay, a little more progress. Pictures of the cut out rear frame stiffener and the swingarm mounted in place. Looks like I will have to grind out bar for the adjustment of the rear axle bearing carrier but it will be no biggie. I might not even have to do it because I haven't mounted the shock yet and not
100% sure of my clearance, but I will probably grind it out anyway. I will have to find somewhere that rebuilds bilstein shocks too.

trizilla
08-01-2008, 11:57 AM
lookin good man.

83ATC185S
08-01-2008, 02:02 PM
pretty sweet, I have a little tri moto in my back yard I should see if i can get it running!

brapp
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Your Makign Me Wish I Had Onelol On Wait I Think I Gave It To Gazoo

Vealmonkey
08-02-2008, 06:39 PM
I just went up to PA and picked this up, less than $400. Tries to run, needs carb cleaned and oil changed and air filter. What do you guys think, a transplant for the pro tec project? Except for a dent in the gas tank, a couple small tears in the seat and the missing airbox assembly, a nice bike. A tough choice. I'll probably at least get it running as the bike before I transfer over at least. Imagine a suspension yt175 with clutch and kick starter. And the kicker on this thing is short so I don't think it will be much of a clearance problem. Wheel spacers will be a must and at least the rear fenders come off easy enough.

trizilla
08-03-2008, 08:06 AM
wow!!! hard to find old bikes that nice around here. that would be a tough decision. the yt would be awesome with that engine but if your an old bike fan it would be hard to justify tearin that apart. on the flip side veal, prolly be the baddest yt around!!!

the great gazoo
08-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Nice score Pat! I was just thinking(before I came across this thread) about the kickstarter clearance, & I searched for a pro tec pic to see how much farther back the swing arm puts the wheels, and here's your thread! Wow, it's finally happening! So do you think the combination of wheel spacers & swing arm length will work? I was also wondering how different the MX pipe is than the YT/Bassani pipe(s)? Way to go, man.

Vealmonkey
12-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, It's been awhile since I've been working on the 175. I managed to finally take the last of my vacation days, so I've had some time to work on the 175. I started by removing the engine from the mx175 which wasn't too miserable. The worst part is that it's kind of tight in the garage, but I'll be making some room. I then removed the engine from the yt175. Then I installed the mx175 engine into the yt175, it just bolts right in. 2 things I noticed. I will have to fabricate some kind of bracket so the rear brake cable will have a place to be mounted since that mounting was part of the yt175 engine case. Also, the mx175 does not have a vacuum fitting to operate the fuel pump of the yt175, so I will probably have to drill and tap the cylinder for that. It appears the spigot on the front of the yt175 cylinder will bolt onto the mx175 cylinder so that should be no problem. I have all the shifter fittings and shift rod that are nos, so I put them on the mx175 and they fit real nice, but they are a real pain in the but to try and set. The electrics on the mx175 plug right into the yt175 wiring harness with all the colors matching properly so it looks like that should be no problem. I have a real nice mx175 carb that needs a new choke knob, but it is carb mounted so I will probably not be using the stock choke cable which should be nice since I don't want to be using the stock for set up. I'm not using the 2 stroke injection and will be premixing my fuel so I'm not mounting the 2 stroke oil tank or the level sensors for the tank. I'm not sure if I'll be using the stock twist throttle for the mx175 or the thumb throttle, but I do have a nice nos yt175 thumb throttle assembly. I'll try and get a couple pictures and I'll try and get the rear suspension all mounted up too. I have 2 nice nos rear grab bars and all the stuff except the lens for the rear tail light, but I'm not sure if I'll be running that or not. I'm not sure if the honda triple tree stem is the same as a yt 125/175 stem, but I'll be finding that out real soon too as I wanted to put an aftermarket front end on the yt. I still have the nos bassani exhaust and I'll be looking into getting one of my bilstein shocks rebuilt for the yt too. Once I get it all put together and see what works and what I want to change or modify, then I'll probably tear it back down and see about stripping and powdercoating the frame. It looks alot different with that mx175 engine in there though. Pictues tomorrow at the latest, maybe in an hour or so, but excuse the mess.

Vealmonkey
12-13-2008, 11:10 PM
A few quick pictures. It's not real pretty since it's just the trial fitting to see if everything will fit together and what needs to be modified. You'll see the yt engine sitting on the floor beside the frame. The mx175 engine is in the trike. Notice the kicker on the right side of the engine and notice the clutch cable on the left side of the engine. Looks like I'll be needing a longer clutch cable too. More goodies for the search. I'll work on the rear suspension tomorrow and try and transfer the spigot from the yt175 engine to the mx175 engine and remount the bassani exhaust. It should be a nice little progress day tomorrow too. Hope you like the pics. Don't mind the mess.

fatcat
12-13-2008, 11:30 PM
you should modify the yt engine to fit that dirtbike.. i think it would move on pretty good in that frame and be a fun play toy lol... that bike looks to nice not to do something with.. Other then that nice build man!!

Vealmonkey
12-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I thought about putting the yt engine in the mx175, but who wants an auto shift, pull start dirtbike? The yt engine probably needs a new piston or at least honed and rings. I'll take offers on the mx dirtbike and the yt engine! LOL

fatcat
12-14-2008, 01:24 AM
hey rokon made a pull start fully auto dirt bike and it sold... my fatcat was auto shift and it was fun as hell to ride in mud and wheelie

Vealmonkey
12-14-2008, 01:35 AM
It would work I'm sure. It would just look different. I like shifting and clutching though. That's why I have a bw200. Kickstart, clutch and shift. And for a little something extra, I put a tri z front end on it. Now I have a front disc and a little more rake. Looks different though and a real blast to ride.

old-yellow
12-14-2008, 11:02 PM
That thing is going to be sweet it makes me want to build one

Vealmonkey
12-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, I have an extra suspension or 2 for you if you want one. I got the rear axle set in place today. I had to do some grinding on the bearing carrier so it would fit. I've been learning as I go since there are no instructions anywhere that I know of. I still have to do some grinding on the frame to make sure the frame will clear the disc brake and the rear sprocket. I'll get some pics shortly. I was taking a little break during and after having some dinner. I need to source some longer bolts that hold the bearing carrier to the rear swingarm and I do believe they are fine thread, but I seem to have misplaced my stock bolts...imagine that. Also I need to pick up 1 nicer rear hub and the wheel nuts and the main axle nut and washer too. I guess I'll be running an ad in the classifieds. I might relist my nos 110 engine too. I'm off to get some pictures.

Vealmonkey
12-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Here are a couple pics of todays progress. The axle assembly in the frame. The clearance of the disc brake to the frame, still need some more grinding to allow full movement of the disc on the axle. The clearance of the sprocket side to the frame, need some major grinding there too. Also pics of the pieces still left to be installed, the brake arm and the brake and the extensions for the brake actuator. I have to check my local bolt place, but I don't think they have any fine thread metric. I hope I'm wrong. Then I'll be working on mounting the rear brake cable and making some new brackets. The front end work should be starting soon also. I really hope to having this trike look like an old school racer like in the 3 wheeling magazine article. Hope you like the pics.

old-yellow
12-15-2008, 01:41 AM
keep up the pic's I want to see the progress

edog
12-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Looking good!

When do you expect to have a roller?

Vealmonkey
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
The big holdup right now is the m10x45-25 pitch bolts. If my local bolt place has them, I should be able to do my frame trimming and final rear axle mounting tonight. Was it you edog that had some kind of yamaha 175 bike that I remember seeing a picture or 2 of? Are you thinking of doing one of these? Not a bad project and I've been figuring out all the hard parts so another build like this shouldn't be too hard.

Vealmonkey
12-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Okay, After some more frame trimming, I mounted my swingarm. Oh and the local bolt place had the fine thread 10m bolts I needed, just a little long though so they will need trimmed. I'll have to get some fine thread bolts for the rear sprocket now. I mounted the arm for the brake caliper too. Just a little more trimming on the disc brake side and that should be good to go and it looks like I'll have lots of room for the chain to clear. I might have to space out the brake caliper some, but that should be no problem. Another day of progress and a couple more pictues too. It's hard to get a good angle shot of the sprocket to frame clearance and the disc brake to frame clearance too.

Vealmonkey
12-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Okay, here is todays' progress. I bolted on the brake caliper and the actuating lever for the brake caliper. I also bolted on the extension arm for the rear brake line and the piece that adjusts the slack in the rear brake cable. I picked up a couple more nuts and bolts and such and the rear sprocket is all bolted in place and all 4 bolts are in the rear bearing carrier. The rear bearing carrier adjusts back and forth nicely which is what takes up the major slack in the chain. Also, I will have to fab up the wheel for the rer chain tensioner which I hope wont be too much of a pain.
I also found out that a kind board member will be sending me copies of all the articles for the project 175 so that should have alot of valuable information that will be very worthwhile and highly appreciated. I will be able to find out what was used for the front end and some more engine specifics.
I have a couple more little things I can do while I'm awaiting the arrival of the copies of the articles.
Also another kind boardmember is sending me 2 nice hubs and the correct hardware, so that will be another couple little items crossed off the list.
Thank you to everyone that has helped so far. I won't mention your names unless you really would like me to. It would be nice to try and get scans of those articles of how they appear in the magazines to post in a seperate thread so others can share in the bounty of info they contain. I would have to get someone to tell me how to do it though, so don't feel bad for not knowing how to scan and post the pictures. Enjoy the pics.

edog
12-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Looking good!!

Clean that disk brake.

old-yellow
12-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Hey pat, I bet you can't wait to ride that thing. So did you have room to kickstart it or are you going have to cut the plastic on it. Did you get the articles or are you still waiting on them. Thanks for your time. Alex

Vealmonkey
12-17-2008, 05:15 PM
I didn't really want to have to cut the plastic either way. I will just take the plastic off and kick it and ride it. I haven't checked for clearance though yet. I believe I have a nos rear disc somewhere too, so I really wasn't worried about cleaning up the rear disc. Like I said, this is just more or less fitting everything together to see what works and what needs modding. And the articles haven't arrived yet. I think they were just mailed yesterday. I'm going to need a longer clutch cable and a different rear brake cable and maybe a different front before it's over with. But that is why I'm trying to figure these things out now and I'm putting them in my thread as I build. Anything special I have put into this thread as I've been going along. I can tell you I removed the wiring for the oil level indicator and I've re-wrapped my wiring harness. I'm leaving the lighting wires on it since I may be doing some night riding, but they are easy enough to remove my lights if I wanted to and wrap those ends. I had to fix a busted wire too. Little steps.

old-yellow
12-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the update

the tecate kid
12-17-2008, 06:38 PM
This is my favorite post. When I was about 12 years old I remember project tri moto. That would have been my bike of choice. Then all of a sudden Honda lowered the boom with the 200x. Almost overnight it became the trike of choice for thousands.

Vealmonkey
12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm sure they were much easier to build back then when you got everything you needed in one nice kit instead of no instructions and not all the parts, but I guess that is what makes it fun, eh? I'm sure the builds went must faster then too. And of course, you had dg with the kit for the mx cylinder to the yt engine and you could just send dg your cylinder and piston and they would do all your port work! Now it's not so simple and some of the pieces have to be hunted down. A trike like this could be yours though.

the tecate kid
12-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Pat, I was looking at the project tri moto articles and noticed that they left their recoil starter on and just changed the other case to the manual clutch. Would that be easier to do, that way you wouldnt have to hassle with removing the fender everytime you wanted to start it. Just thinking out loud.

Vealmonkey
12-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't remember that. I guess I'll see that when I get the articles. But with the kicker, it would be easier if you were running a higher compression. I'll have to see when the article arrives.

the tecate kid
12-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know if a blaster or banshee axle would fit the tri moto. How sweet would that be?!

Vealmonkey
12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
That would be the deal if one of those axles' fit.

piroguedog
12-18-2008, 06:48 PM
What i want to know is when can I buy one of these genius creations? Im pumped about having one on my MOTO! WOuld love to have the kicker as well once your done and can look back to say what the best way to go about it is.

Vealmonkey
12-24-2008, 09:05 PM
The Tecate Kid, Here is a teaser of the Pro Tec 175 suspension set-up that I had to make the pieces for. What do you think? Not the correct shock, but it is a Pro Tec suspension 175 kit that would make your 175 have rear suspension. You would be best off finding a newer shock around the same size. And my suspension set-ups don't have the correct rear chain tensioner wheel for any of them. Something else that needs fabbed up.

TriMotoMan
12-25-2008, 12:57 AM
could u fit a yamaha blaster swing arm on a tri moto?

Vealmonkey
12-25-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't know if you can or not? Then you would have to make provisions for the upper shock mount and stuff. Maybe you can try it and let us know how it turns out.

TriMotoMan
12-25-2008, 01:02 AM
ya i've been thinkin about it, but i think that the swing arm is to long and then the bike would be tipy. but i will try a rear axle swap

the tecate kid
12-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Let me get back to you about it. Those parts you fabbed up look good. I have a few aftermarket chain tensioners laying around that we run on my son's supermini quads, so thats not a big deal. Is that swingarm aluminum?

the tecate kid
12-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah, is that old shock that comes with it the correct length? The same as the correct bilstein?

Vealmonkey
12-25-2008, 02:33 PM
The shocks are the same length. The eye for the shock on that kit is missing though. It was a pain fabbing those parts up. If you had a jig and maybe something that pressed those parts into shape it wouldn't be so bad. The swingarm is hollow sand cast aluminum, which I bet would be a pain to get reproduced. The disc brake arm was originally sand cast aluminum too, but the best I could do was have a piece of aluminum machined down. When I went to have it done, the aluminum wasn't thick enough so I had to have to pieces stick welded to make up the difference and then machined to the correct height. It didn't turn out to bad and the dimensions are correct and everything seems to bolt up OK, which I thought was the most important part. I guess with a little elbow grease, that aluminum brake arm could be made to look really nice and either polished up or get a nice finish with a bead blaster that would look pretty close to the sand cast finish of the swingarm.

Vealmonkey
01-08-2009, 03:56 AM
Right now I'm working on an aftermarket front end. The front end I have is for the hondas, so I have to switch steering stems. Not quite as easy as it sounds and I've come across a slight slowdown on the honda triples, but I finally got the honda stem off the aftermarket triples and the yamaha stem off the 175 triple. Now, I have to machine the aftermarket triples to take the yamaha stem and fabricate a part to hold the stem to the lower aftermarket triple. Machining time at work is the main slow down. But it's progressing slowly. Then once I get this done, I'll figure out what I'll have to do with the engines or engine. I'm not sure if I have to combine the 2 engines yet or not as I haven't looked real closely into that yet. Also, I'm getting a real nice goody box together for you.

old-yellow
01-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I was just wondering if there was any progress on this project if there is please post some pictures.

Thanks, Alex

Vealmonkey
01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
There has been no progress on the front forks. My machinist friends have been busy at work, which leaves little time for government jobs. I did manage however to pick this up for a steal off ebay. If I told you what I paid for it with shipping, well, you wouldn't be happy. But here are a few pics. And it is cherry as cherry can be. Even has the original band for the tool pouch on it! Not a scratch, not a tear, not a rip, not a dent, not a spec of rust and look how bright and yellow and fresh that foam is. Not a recovered seat, all new. Now if I could only find the NOS tank cover...

trizilla
01-23-2009, 06:21 PM
looks nice! cant ait to see it on the bike.

old-yellow
01-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Nice find!

2quicktecate
01-23-2009, 07:01 PM
sweet project. i miss my old yt175. if i had the susp. kit i would of kept it. that thing was dangerous being a hard tail!! had the back tires 5 feet off the ground hitting a pot hole at top speed, it was also very hard on my back... but a suspended one will be sweet!

TriMotoMan
01-24-2009, 10:42 PM
that is the nicest yt seat i've seen

Yamaha_Rules69
01-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Theres an easier alternative to the "aftermarket front end" idea. You can use the tripple trees from a yamaha tri moto 200, and use some front forks from a yamaha YZ 80 between the years 79-82. The tripple should mount perfectly. You have to sag the fork tubes up higher, so they stick out of the top of the tripple a few inches. The forks would be great, and have much more travel and stiffness then the original 175 forks. I have always wanted to try it, but never got the forks to do it. It WILL work.

the tecate kid
01-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Ahead of you there. I have a set of triples and forks from a ytm 200. Measure between the triples of the 200 and the triples of the 175. They are way different. The only way to make it work would be to remove the neck from the 175 triples and fab it onto the 200 ones. As far as fork go, the 200 forks work fine, and you dont even have to enlarge the axle hole. Not as much travel as the 80 forks though.

old-yellow
02-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I just wanted to bump this up for all the new guys that have joined with tri-motos becaues I love this thread and I wanted to know if there was any progress?

Thanks, Alex

Vealmonkey
02-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Well, I had purchased a ytm200 front end from a board member. Like the tecate kid says, the necks will have to be switched. Also it looks like I might gusset the lower part of the forks where the axle is held. I did get to help the great gazoo work on his yt125 sunday and we got his clutch problem fixed. We used the clutch steels from an extra yt175 clutch assembly I had and when we buttoned it back up, no more clutch slipping. I need to get another yt175 lower triple tree so I can pirate the stem out of it. Also in my box of goodies, I have the air fork caps, so they should fit the ytm200 fork tubes.

Louis Mielke
02-17-2009, 05:44 AM
I got your 175 front end and a whole extra engine as well veal. You know there yours for a song just need to get together for lunch again! haha.

Now if I could just find a seat for my 125. actually, you don't have any crank bearings/seals for 125 do you? I think thats what my 125 needs.

Vealmonkey
02-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Sorry Lou, no internals. I don't know if you have a seat to work with. I do have a base I was restoring and a nos seatcover and a so-so seat foam. If you have a great seat foam I can hook you up.

the tecate kid
02-17-2009, 08:32 AM
I wouldnt mind having a nos seat cover. If louis doesnt take it.

Vealmonkey
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Here are a few pics of the NOS Yamaha seat cover and what looks to be a NOS Yamaha Skid Plate.

old-yellow
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey Louis, Bike bandit still list them for sale but I don't know if they actually have them because sometimes after you order you find out they no longer have the parts. Have you tried the local Yamaha dealer to see if they can order the seals for you? They put those 125 based 2 stroke engines in a lot of dirt bikes like the IT, DT and MX so it can't be that hard to track down the seals and bearings for your engine. Just my 2 cents

Alex

the great gazoo
02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, I had purchased a ytm200 front end from a board member. Like the tecate kid says, the necks will have to be switched. Also it looks like I might gusset the lower part of the forks where the axle is held. I did get to help the great gazoo work on his yt125 sunday and we got his clutch problem fixed. We used the clutch steels from an extra yt175 clutch assembly I had and when we buttoned it back up, no more clutch slipping. I need to get another yt175 lower triple tree so I can pirate the stem out of it. Also in my box of goodies, I have the air fork caps, so they should fit the ytm200 fork tubes.

And boy does the thing RIP! I'm really shocked at the power this 125 puts out. Now I need to address the shifting issue, and of course, I'm going to put my 175 top end on the 125 trans & transfer it to the 175 frame. I hoping a certain someone "cough, cough" holds on to a couple few parts to make my 175 ALMOST as cool as his:lol:

Louis Mielke
02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
We have to get together to swap some parts man! I have a very decent foam, just no pan. Not too worried about the seat cover, I'll make my own.

I know I can get the bearings and seals from yamaha, just figured I'd see if anyone was sitting on some they didn't need and wanted to move. That one along with my YTM225dx is a looonnnggg term back burner project.

Vealmonkey
02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Well, I can let you have my pan. I had to weld 2 cracks and put in a new stud/bolt, but all seems well. I wire wheeled and rust treated and krylon painted the top of the seat pan, but I have not done the underside yet. All of the little cleats are still there as well. If you don't want the cover I guess that will go to the tecate kid then. I still have some other nos stuff to let go as well. I have a nos metal dash and the nos headlight shroud. I have an extra set of wide nos footpegs. I have 3 fork boots too, but I'm not sure if they can work on the ytm200 front end or not. I have an extra nos tail light base and an extra grab bar as well, but it seems like the tail light mounting holes are a little close together on it???

Vealmonkey
02-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Brian, you need to see what you have for the 175 shifter assembly and then see what you need. The big thing is wether or not the 175 piece will fit on the 125 shifter shaft. I'm pretty sure it will though. And you need to figure out what you are going to do for a frame. And we need to get this puppy started. You will need to use the 175 bearing carrier and axle though, as the earlier carrier will not work with the kit. We can weld up your 1980 frame, but not quite sure if we can get the holes perfectly lined up or not. Quit dragging your feet and get moving. I need to make some room here. And get some things done to my trikes as well. Looks like I"m going to be putting the rd350 back together to sell also. That should be a little adventure.

the tecate kid
02-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Pat you mention a set of wide footpegs. is that a yamaha option? I never knew they offered that.

old-yellow
02-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Hey, Pat can you post a pic of the wide nos footpegs I just wanted to see what they look like?

Thanks, Alex

Vealmonkey
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Here are the pics of the yamaha wide footpeg kit for the yt125/175. The picture is of the pegs themselves. Then of the pegs compared to a stock footpeg-forgive the homemade extensions, that's how they came and then comes the copies of the instructions.

TriMotoMan
02-19-2009, 01:30 AM
heres my homemade pegs:naughty:

old-yellow
02-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Wow Pat those are different, man if I came to your house I would be like a kid in a candy store with all your rare and Nos parts:lol: Thanks for posting the pictures.

Thanks, Alex

Vealmonkey
02-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Yeah, I'm a goof. Until you really get to know me, then I'm just a big kid.

Vealmonkey
02-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, A progress report. I took the ytm 200 lower triples to work and my machinist buddies helped me put the stem in the mill and set up a boring bar and slowly machine the old stem out. I think they just help me a little since it seems to be great entertainment for them. And once the weld was machined through, the triple tree part sort of just rolled onto the carbide bit while still spinning. That is why I had to do it slow. I'm surprise they didn't have me turn up the speed on the mill so they could see the lower triple come flying off and bust the carbide bit. I'm sure they would have gotten a laugh out of that! I'll post pics tomorrow when I'm back home. Pulling a double shift tonight. Now I just need to hook up with Louis and get those parts off him and machine the lower triple off of the yt175 lower triple trees. And then weld the yt175 stem to the ytm200 lower triple and I should be good to go. It sounds pretty good in theory doesn't it? Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Vealmonkey
02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Here's the pics of my lower triple tree so far. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's a start. Now to get the yt175 lower triple tree and machine that triple down from the stem. Then it's just a matter of combining the 2 and welding and voila! Wide front tire front end with drum brake if I want it that fits the yt175.

old-yellow
02-28-2009, 09:59 PM
looking good, I hope everthing works out for you.

braunz200x
03-03-2009, 02:03 AM
nice build vealmonkey

Vealmonkey
03-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Well, the latest project report. The Great Gazoo and I have installing my last Pro Tec kit on his 175 frame and are going to switch his 125 engine and his parts from the 1980 125 and will eventually put a 175 top end on the 125 engine. Well today, Gazoo and Louis Mielke came down to the house and we worked on yts! We pretty much have everything swapped over to Gazoos 175 frame and need to finish up some minor bits and pieces and he should be riding again with rear suspension. We will make Gazoos yt all pretty once we have everything working.
Lous' trike, well after Gazoo left we concentrated on Lous yt. Lou was doing little things to it all day that the trike needed in gereral. The big job ended up being that we pieced a carb and throttle cable, or I should say he did 98% of the work. LOL Anyway, we weren't quite sure what the results would be, but a little ether down the spark plug hole and the yt sputtered which was promising. Lo and behold after some parts swapping and creative carb parts swapping, we added some fuel and low and behold, the trike ran. We were even able to adjust the idle. We attached my beater yt fenders and Lou took the yt down through the yard and up onto the street and gave it a couple laps. Very good progress. We just wish we had some more time to work on Gazoos' trike and get him running and see how that suspension works. It's the little details that take time. And of course swapping from one trike to the other we were cleaning up cruddy parts and greasing steering stem bearing and cleaning up the front break shoes and stuff and all that takes time. Not a bad day. Here are 2 pics of Lous bike with my beater fenders and in the second pic you'll see the 2 stroke smoke since his trike is running! Yay! I hope Lous' wife will forgive him for running a little late since we did get the bike running.

Louis Mielke
03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the help Pat! Pat's very modest, he helped plenty!

Now that this little gremlin is finally running I'm gonna spend some time cleaning it up. Gota get my seat rebuilt, pat was the man and swapped me a good seat pan. Between that, scaling the plastic, and fixing up the head light it should be a fun little bike. Thanks Pat! Can't wait to see your sweet YT finished!

82cutty
03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Good work guys !! I would love rear suspension .

Vealmonkey
03-22-2009, 08:58 PM
You may get a chance at rear suspension if Fox has his way. The swingarm would be relatively easy to fabricate, the tricky part would be the upper shock mount but that probably isn't that impossible for someone who does frame work all the time. There is a company on here that has done some amazing work with trike frames and swingarms and it is called HRE. If you really wanted something fabbed up, I would seriously think of contacting them. I could loan them the parts if needed.

82cutty
03-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah...I was reading that Fox was trying to get some kits made up . I'll get one if there not too much money .

bandito90
03-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Looking good guys!

Vealmonkey
03-22-2009, 11:43 PM
What have you done with yours Tim?????

bandito90
03-23-2009, 12:09 AM
All I did to e 90 was do a few laps around the yard.I did run the rd and put the tach on.

the great gazoo
03-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I knew you guys would get the 125 running when I heard the "pop" from the ether, & if Lou does what he says he's going to do to that motor, nothing'll touch it!. Thanks to both of you guys, you really checked me out. I'm in the process of locating the fuel tanks for the 175 right now, I"ll snap some pics in a bit & post 'em up.

Vealmonkey
03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Brian, I wish you could have stuck around more so we could have gotten you running. You're really close to being back on 3 wheels again. I might have to make up some nylon spacers for the swingarm to frame gap for you though. It won't be hard to slip them in place.

the great gazoo
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, that'd be cool, I got the pics, I also noticed that the rear sprocket needs to come right about a 1/4 inch. Can't stay on, the woman's having the Mac tuned up & the guy's here. Oh, I found my tanks, but no straps............Screw it, outta time. load pics later.

Vealmonkey
03-24-2009, 05:25 AM
So last week I was on ebay, and I see this listing for this nos yt175 exhaust pipe. The seller has 1 picture showing the exhaust in it's original plastic bag, where the plastic bag has been slid around on the shelf so much that is is white and no longer clear and the plastic bag has a hang tag on it, but you can't read it in the picture and it isn't really listed in the auction. It has a buy it now of $66, so I go ahead and pull the trigger, I figure WTH right?
So this box arrives yesterday afternoon, fast shipping at least and the shipping price was less than $10, so not bad so far. So I open the box and lo and behold.... It's a NOS PK Racing yt 175 exhaust pipe with what seems like all the original hardware!!! I open the bag up and the pipe appears to have only 1 small ding and a couple scratches, so it wasn't even all rusted up or nothing. The original tag on the exhaust is nice and intact also. Now I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to use it for?.....
I took a couple pics. Hope you like them. I"m happy with my buy.

bandito90
03-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Great buy,Pat!You find all the rare goodies at a great price.LoL.How long was it in before you bought it?

Vealmonkey
03-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Less than an hour. Right place at the right time I guess.

bandito90
03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Can't wait to see this one in person.

old-yellow
03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Damn! Pat you find all the rare parts and cheap but anyways nice find and I can't wait in till I see finished pictures of your trike.

Alex

jason 32
03-24-2009, 11:05 PM
nice guys, i wish i would have kept mine , i hate the old no suspension trikes,but i also didnt want to hack up a real nice ty175, plastics on mine are a lil faded thats all! its in real nice shape

the great gazoo
03-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Wow! Nice find Pat. I'm starting to think you're spending more than 18 hours a day on Ebay. Frikkin' sweet! I think you need to get another YT175 & make it a flat tracker!
Anyhow, I said I"d post up these pics, so here they are. Oh, & I got a 5/8 lock nut & cut washer for my swing arm. Still lots of little things to do on it. Well, here goes....

chris200x
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
trailpros!!!!! :rolleyes: Now ya gotta come up riding so Al will quit bustin my balls and start bustin yours! :D

Looks good Brian!!! you gonna let me taker er for a rip?:naughty: :lock:

You need some flames comin down the sides!!! :twisted:

Vealmonkey
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Great pics Brian. We still have a couple hours to have everything finished and then be able to have you tear it down for some final cosmetic touches. Hopefully we will have you running Sunday.

Louis Mielke
03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I took my 125 for a no seated ride today! Man that thing freakin flies! It's really peppy for a 125. Maybe it's that 175 carb. hehe.

Bryan Raffa
03-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I need another little pinger NOW.. Nice pipe veal!

Vealmonkey
03-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I've been plugging away at adding a ytm200 front end to the yt175. It's been a little work and I had to change the original idea a little, but it's finally on the trike. Originally I had to machine the stem out of a set of ytm200 triples and machine away the unwanted lower triple off of the yt175 stem. I made a spacer to try and shim the ytm200 lower triple to the same height as the lower perch where the yt175 stem is, but later found out that I didn't need that at all. I machined the stem nut around 1/2 of it's normal thickness and bolted on the lower triple tree. The steering stops work perfectly. I sort of got lucky where I tig welded the yt175 stem into the ytm200 lower triple. Then I drilled out the stem hole on the upper ytm200 triple tree to 1" which allowed the ytm200 upper triple to barely slide over the yt175 upper stem. Insted of using the yt175 cap nut, I used a bolt that was pretty much the entire length of the yt175 stem, 8" if I remember right. I drilled out 2 flat washers to have an interference fit to the bolt I used so they would be nice and snug and then I sort of cobble together a piece that was made from 2 bolts welded together and the lower bolt sort of cone shaped so it would fit up into the bottom of the lower triple tree, all nice and hidden. Now the bolt that passes through the stem screws into the assembly that goes into the bottom of the lower triple and it ties the whole thing together nice and secure. I'll see how this works and it just might be the final design that I'm going with. There is also a bronze busing that is pressed into the upper part of the stem and drilled so it will let the bolt pass through but keep it from moving around. I don't know if this is the best design, but it was just what I cam up with hashing an idea around with my machinist buddy at work. There may have been a more elagant way to do it, but this seems to work well. Here are a few pics of the triples installed on the yt frame.

the great gazoo
03-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Pretty cool, Pat! Looking forward to seeing yours finished(and riding it:D ).
Yes chris, you can take mine for a rip, I need a stiffer shock- We're thinkinf a warrior shock might work? Funda are low, though, so it might take some time, I owe a lot of $$$ to VM for the kit.

chris200x
03-27-2009, 05:53 AM
Hahaa! I know where I can get a warrior shock... CHEEP! :D

I havet takin the time to read through this whole thread... I'm guessing these suspension kits came with no suspension?

Vealmonkey
03-27-2009, 06:32 AM
"I'm guessing the suspension kits came with no suspension"?????? I'm not quite getting that. I did have 3 suspension kits and 2 came with their original bilstein shock. The third kit came with some unknown shock that one of the eyes was missing the internals. We substituted for a shock that I had laying around that was close in length. I had figured out that a warrior rear shock is the correct length that we need, but had been outbid on the 5 that I have bid on. I could spend lots of money to get a shock, but it's not in gazoos budget right now to spend all that cash. Hopefully I'll bid on a shock that no one else bids on and get a deal for him that won't break his wallet. I don't know of anyone locally that has any warrior shocks.

the great gazoo
03-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Here's what a little time & elbow grease will do for plastics. Anyone care to guess what I used to get it this far?

the great gazoo
03-28-2009, 11:53 AM
OOp, here ya go

Vealmonkey
03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Toothpaste? An old hot rodders trick. That does look pretty nice though. I guess I'm going to have to do that to my tank cover.

Louis Mielke
03-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Here's what a little time & elbow grease will do for plastics. Anyone care to guess what I used to get it this far?

Whats the secret!!!!???

Vealmonkey
03-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Toothpaste is not the answer. I know what it is though. LOL

the great gazoo
03-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Sorry I took a lil while to reply but my secret is Soft Scrub with bleach, it works wonders on old crappy plastic.

Louis Mielke
03-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Well I guess I'll be trying that very soon. Should I scrap the oxidization off first or just use the softscrub with bleach?
Pat did you get my PM?

old-yellow
03-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Gazoo is this the stuff your talking about?

http://www.softscrub.com/index.cfm?page_id=251

the great gazoo
03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah, that's it. It's frikkin' amazing. Louis, you can use it directly on your crappy azs plastic, no priming, I used a 3M dish scrubber & Like I said the cowl took about 15-20 minutes to get it where it is now. If ya want to go farther & really make your stuff like new, well you're gonna hav'ta get some wet sanding & MORE time happening. For me, it worked great, & I plan on doing my fenders up w/ JUST Soft Scrub as well.

bandito90
03-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Amazing how you got it turn out,Brian.The headlight shell looks great.How close to new is it?

Vealmonkey
03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Timmy, that shell wasn't pretty, I can tell you that.

bandito90
03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I know I saw the pics.Pretty amazing what you guys done to it.

Vealmonkey
03-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Timmy, You guys go riding my Tiger yet? I bet Bruces' yard is pretty soupy. And guess what I just picked up? Pro Tec kit #4! Should be here soon.

bandito90
03-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Well I think the tiger just needs little things before being fired up!We got hail today so no riding.Did minor work on the 60.

old-yellow
03-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Dam Pat, where in hell do you find these kits all the time? I never see them on ebay! Did you sell your soul to the devil??:beer

Vealmonkey
03-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Too much time on the internet. That's what happens when you work 16 and 20 hour days at work. And you have to be fast on a buy it now or look in the places no one else looks. My new motto might be, MD yt suspension capital of the world! LOL
Timmy, did you get that 80cc top end yet? We need to get those reeds and pipe on the POS 60! What about painting the stroker? Come on, I've been giving you a break. Get moving! LOL

bandito90
03-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Just put steering stops on it today.Well Bruce did the welding.I'm still holding out for a down pipe!

82cutty
03-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Hey Timmy, You guys go riding my Tiger yet? I bet Bruces' yard is pretty soupy. And guess what I just picked up? Pro Tec kit #4! Should be here soon.

Wow found another kit :beer . Wanna sell it to me :D

Vealmonkey
03-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Sorry, It's spoken for with a buddy of mine. I'll keep you in mind for the next one though if you would like.

82cutty
03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Sorry, It's spoken for with a buddy of mine. I'll keep you in mind for the next one though if you would like.

Sounds good...thanks

Vealmonkey
04-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Today, The Great Gazoo-Brian, came over and we got more done on his yt conversion. We made him up some nylon spacers. We have his shifter all attached. We finished mounting his coil. We got his chain to length and on. We switched out his gas tanks. We rerouted some wires and hooked up some fuel line. We fabbed up a cheater mount for his exhaust. We even fueled the trike up and fired it up. Sadly, Brian lost his hardware for his throttle, so we had that bogusly hooked up for his test run. We mounted his rear fenders and he took a couple laps up and down the street. We still have a couple things to do. I think there is a 175 throttle in the box of parts Lou left, so I have to dig that out and see what we can do. We need to score a nice heavy duty spring for the return of the rear brake. I need to find my lock washers for the rear axle for both our trikes. We accomplished alot, but still a couple little things to do. Someday, we might even work on my stuff. Brian needs to get some pics. Maybe if he reads this later he'll have some to share.

Louis Mielke
04-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Even though I did not make it out to you guys I am with you in spirit today. I finished cleaning up my seat pan and made a pretty famdam awesome seat cover if I do say so myself. I also got my rear fenders scrubbed and will be mounting them shortly.

Just for you guys to keep in mind some parts I need: 1 end of the shifter linkage, i only need the one end. There was a spare left hand side cover, the one the pull start bolts too, the ears are all broke off mine and hanging on by a thread so I'll need that.

Otherwise. Stay tuned for pics of my progress for today as well! The MD Yamaha troop will be cruzing in style soon enough! Pat we need to get yours going!!!!!!!

Oh and I do have that 175 carb all cleaned up and ready to go. We just need a needle.

Vealmonkey
04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Lou, There is a sidecover in those bits that looks ok. Also there is a throttle cable that has a good needle and a top carb cover, so that should be good. If you would have been here today, I know we would have had Brians trike rock and rolling. The next time you come down, bring your 125, there should be a suspension kit then. I need to get that brake arm made for you. I hope to have the 350x parts this week and I need to switch front ends on the suspension 185s. It might be awhile before I get mine running. I still need to figure out the whole clutch deal and it will be a mess having the 2 engines apart. And you know how much of a mess is here now. We pirated the front sprocket off that 175 lower end too. It wasn't the greatest sprocket, but it's way better than what Gazoo had. Where are those pics??????????

Louis Mielke
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Pics! As you can see I think the seat cover turned out pretty well. My foam was still in pretty good shape. I think the engine is gonna need a total overhaul when the 175 top end gets put on it.

It's back to being a fairly stock tri-moto. Hopefully not for long. lol

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/trimoto.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/trimotoseat.jpg

Vealmonkey
04-05-2009, 08:43 PM
That seat turned out pretty sweet. That must have been "minty" foam you had there. But that nice cover and that homely front fender! I do have Brians yt175 front end stuff down here with a selection of several different front fork tubes. Were there yt175 brake parts in the box, meaning the hub and the outer cover with the brake shoes and such? Also, score some decent cutting wheels for a 4" grinder. The wheels I had sucked. They would last about a single use. As for the suspension, you'll love the nice cusy ride and the novelty. I have another skid plate coming in too. I'll get you hooked up. I know where there is a nice coffmans exhaust??? You'll be styling soon. It would make a nice cruiser for the little woman!!!

Louis Mielke
04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
I actually just nabbed a whole ytm200 dirt cheap. Missing a few items but lots of good parts. I want to go with the actual 175 front end to keep it easy but there should be lots of parts we can use from it. Specifically the front brakes.

We'll get this thing hooked up. I'm slightly unhappy at the thought of runnnig without an airbox. I'm gonna peruse some rubbermaid items and try to find somthing that will work out as a shorty airbox.

I saw that coffmans on ebay but I just couldn't bring myself to nab it. Maybe once I have a 175 engine built. If I build one I want the crank rebuilt for starters.

Dirtcrasher
04-05-2009, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't want to run without a box.

Aluminum is always a chore to try to bend and weld.

Tupperware is cheap and easy :D

But, if you can't find something that works Louis, I think sheet metal would be the easiest thing to make it out of. Easy to bend and form, yet still light enough and everything can be braised (easy) or mig welded place, with brackets to mount it with and everything.

Maybe 22 gauge?? Just thinking here................

Louis Mielke
04-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Trust me it will have some kind of air box. Even if its just an old coffe can. haha! my buddy works in HVAC. He made the first airbox for the 500. I'm sure he'll come up with something.

the great gazoo
04-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, a lot goes on when you're not online, here's a couple teaser pics of the YT, & I'm tossing in a pic of it sans suspension rear, so all you trike nuts can see the difference. I was really surprised when I sat on it for the 1st time at Pat's place last week. It really sits nice & high in the back! Anyway, here's the pics.....

chris200x
04-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Well.. is it ready to go? let's ride biatch!!!

fabiodriven
04-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Dude, that thing looks sick! Nice job!

:shiftyeyes: Trailpros:shiftyeyes:

krazykane
04-11-2009, 06:08 PM
so guys how about a 125 pipe anybody got one .i need one for yt

Vealmonkey
04-11-2009, 06:16 PM
When all the top ends and pipes get juggled around, there should be a spare stock yt125 exhaust that Lou Mielke will have.

krazykane
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
well lou if so let me know a price thanks

Louis Mielke
04-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Haha. Sorry not for sale.

82cutty
04-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Wow, a lot goes on when you're not online, here's a couple teaser pics of the YT, & I'm tossing in a pic of it sans suspension rear, so all you trike nuts can see the difference. I was really surprised when I sat on it for the 1st time at Pat's place last week. It really sits nice & high in the back! Anyway, here's the pics.....

That looks awesome :beer . Man I need to find a rear suspension for mine .

the great gazoo
04-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Poor VealMonkey's 'puter is on the fritz, & he can't post up, he's goin' frikkin nuts!
1st of all, thanks for all the compliments. Chris, it's still got a ways to go, it'll be ready for some coal soon, though. Today we got the shifter attached(for now, it's kinda rigged, but it works), Pat gave me a 350X throttle, thank god. The original one was ON the bar, not below & this tired azs right thumb hated it, so that's done. Also got the batwing attached(holds the bottom tank cover on), found out the front brake needs springs, & used a whole bunch more of Pat's nice stainless fasteners.
The real bad news, I'm sorry to say is that it won't shift into 2nd from 1st gear, you kinda have to double, triple shift to get it to go. On a good note, though, it'll go from neutral into 2nd, so I spose I'll be riding it like that a while.
We still have to change out the top end, & Lou, if you're still staying 125 I have something for you when I go 175:D . I really appreciate your help w/ parts & input, that also goes quadruple for you, Pat. Pics tomorrow, I can't find the cam, TGG is outie....................

the great gazoo
04-12-2009, 03:23 PM
That looks awesome :beer . Man I need to find a rear suspension for mine .

Seek & ye shall find. Keep bugging Vealmonkey & who knows what'll happen, you'd be hard pressed to find a better Pro-Tec searcher..............

Louis Mielke
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
It'll be a while before i can go 175 so it's gonna stay a 125 for now. I am trying to tweak it a little to make it a runner though. We'll see.

Vealmonkey
04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
This computer thing is driving me nuts. I'm in safe mode now. Just checking things for a few minutes. Brian and I got some things accomplished yesterday. Not sure why his yt won't shift directly from first to second. Might need some more fine tuning on the shifter linkage. If not, he'll just have to shift right into second for the time being. I may get to work on mine some day. Needless to say can't order parts online till I get my computer issues resolved. Lou and I made some interesting discoveries Saturday. Like all yt175 engines have the ability to be turned into manual shift. More on that later, unless Lou chimes in. You mainly need a bottom end with a manual shift and all the parts. Needlesll to say I have that. I will be getting the crank redone with some improvements. Ordering gaskets and seals and bearings, and then we combine the parts to make a manual shift, pull and kick start 175. Should be interesting. Lou and I are bad influences on each other. Lou needs some nuts and bolts and swingarm bearings and then we'll have the suspension in his 125. Then we will do the top end on Brians 125 to convert to 175 and then Lou sometime after that. Things are progressing slowly though, but we are learning. No pictures as Lou and I were tearing down the 175 lower end in the rain. LOL Wish us luck.

Louis Mielke
04-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Small update on mine. I got to take about an hour and blast my pro tec kit and get the bearings replaced and bought some stainless hardware. Slow going but it'll come together. Here's a pic!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/IMG00009.jpg

the tecate kid
04-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Lou what is that part in the middle? For the brake I suppose? My kit didnt come with that. Just a flat piece of metal.

Louis Mielke
04-14-2009, 07:40 AM
That is a custom brake arm by our good man Pat(vealmonkey) His kit came with the brake arm so he made copies of it. Apparently the replacement brake arm is something that seems to disapear from these kits. Out man Pat is on it though!

the tecate kid
04-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I need to get with Pat to see if he can hook a brotha up!

Vealmonkey
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
I thought for sure that your kit had the brake arm with it. Let me check my pics that I sent you. I didn't see a brake arm in the kit. Guess I'm going to have to get busy and make one for you then. If you still have those pics I sent you, check them to see and make sure. I'll get something going for you.

the great gazoo
04-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey Tecate Kid, how's about an update on your Pro Tec Yammie? Any pics?

the tecate kid
04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks Pat. Unless it fell out in the mail, I never got one? G.G. It is in about 3 million pieces. LOL, but I am close to start assembling it. I will keep you posted. Still scratching my head on an easier way to solve the sprocket issue without splitting the cases. Just getting lazy in my old age.

Vealmonkey
04-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Lou and I stripped down a yt175 lower end Saturday. We figured out that we could put the mx175 manual clutch and probably kicker into the yt175 left case and use the mx175 outer case. The yt175 has a knockout for the manual shaft that is operated by the clutch cable and the actuating rod runs through the center of the clutch shaft. I need to get my crank rebuilt and some main bearings and some gaskets and seals and then we can reassemble. It might not be so bad. But anyone doing this will need all the clutch parts from a mx175 and possibly a dt175 and maybe an it175 and the outer clutch cover. I should be able to use the pull start and maybe the kicker also when finished. It will also use the yt175 gears with the longer trans mainshaft and gearset which should allow both sprockets to be in alignment. We aren't sure how the kicker will all work out for now, but it shouldn't be too hard. Thanks Lou.

Louis Mielke
04-15-2009, 06:20 AM
No problem man! Get that crank rebuilt so we can get rolling on that thing!!! I found a gasket kit thats yours when we're ready!

Vealmonkey
04-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Will the gasket kit work with the mx175? I don't know if the clutch side gaskets are different or not. I think I might have a handle on the computer too, thankfully. Did you see the post in the open forum about my buddys' new gun in the gun owner section? 20mm Rifle! It's baaaaaddddd. Now I just have to get to Bruces' to get the crank rebuilt, unless I can send it. I have to get hold of him. We got alot more done to Brians bike Sunday, we just need to figure why it won't shift from first to second without stopping at neutral? I don't know if it is just poorly adjusted shift linkage or what? Are you cutting your frame up yet? Are you going to bring it down so we can cut it or are you going to cut it up at your house and make it all fancy? Oh, and I ordered the wrong nut for the clutch hub on the 350x...Go figure! LOL

Louis Mielke
04-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Man that sucks about the 350x nut!!!!

I'm gonna make the cuts and some other small things here like get the forks preped and painted but i figure I'll bring it to your place for assembly. Gotta keep the tradition going! I've got so much going on right now its crazy I'll tell you!

the great gazoo
04-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey Pat, you mean I ordered the wrong clutch nut- If memory serves, there was only one to choose from? That kinda sucks either way, I figured you'd have it all done by now.
Let me know when you guys are planning the next move, I'm interested in seeing the 175 transmission go back together.

the tecate kid
04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like the IT 175 motor is a 6 speed. Should be neat. Is the MX a 5 or 6? I think I am going to go recoil start only, just like Project Tri moto. They just removed the kicker gear and closed off the kicker hole. I am going to split the cases and just swap the countershafts out but use the IT bottom end and cylinder. The IT looks to have MUCH more aggressive porting compared to the YT.

Vealmonkey
04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I believe the mx is a 5 speed. Post some pics of the it cylinder and reed cage. I have to get some pics up. I was up till after midnight messing with this damn computer. Wish I had a geeky neighbor kid. LOL

the tecate kid
04-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I will get pics to you Pat asap. The topend is at the machinists getting a fresh bore job. My IT motor didnt have a reed cage with it, so I stole one and a spacer from my son's old blaster. Looks like a bit of an upgrade over the tri moto, also has a port on the top that can be drilled out to run a boost bottle like the project tri moto. The blaster puts the carb at an angle, but all you have to do is run a k&N or UNI with a 40 degree angle.

Louis Mielke
04-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Teacate Kid, how different is the blaster cylinder from the yt cylinder. I thought it was confirmed that the stud pattern is different between the two but I don't remember for sure.

Blaster cylinder sure would be nice!

the tecate kid
04-15-2009, 08:58 PM
The cylinders are way different as far as bolt patterns go. The IT 175 used the blaster style after 1979/ however the reed cages are interchangable and uses the same bolt pattern.

Louis Mielke
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Interesting... get some pics would you?

the tecate kid
04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I sure will Lou as soon as I get it back. The blaster intake really gives us alot of performance options. As you know, there are TONS of upgrades for the blaster out there.

Vealmonkey
04-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Yep, wide footpegs, yamaha option.

the great gazoo
04-18-2009, 03:58 PM
A couple more shots of the 125 before it (I hope) morphs into a 175......
The thumb throttle was a real issue, it was on the bars, not below, so I'm happy to have a little Honda on this Yamaha, enjoy.
Oh, & as soon as I can afford them, I"m getting new tires.

82cutty
04-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Looking good...You going to sell that Basani pipe when you change the motor ?

the great gazoo
04-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Well I was going to give it to Lou, but if I"m not mistaken he's going 175 w/ his YT, so it'll be up for grabs.

Vealmonkey
04-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Brian, we should sand that "honda" off the throttle top and get that custom engraved! That would be sweet and then have it polished out like mine!!!!

the great gazoo
04-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes, But what to engrave on it? "My back is killin' me", or perhaps, "Do it!"?, or how about "Damn it Brian, you lost that special washer!"

Louis Mielke
04-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Or maybe just "Yamaha" or maybe "Pro Tech".

I'll be loading up the truck as soon as I'm done eating my cereal. Hope your getting ready too gazzoo!

Louis Mielke
04-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Well I was going to give it to Lou, but if I"m not mistaken he's going 175 w/ his YT, so it'll be up for grabs.

I told you my bikes gonna be a 125 for quite a bit yet. It will be at least a year before I go 175. No sale! lol

Vealmonkey
04-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Come on Lou. 175 next week. You know you want to do it. Do it Lou, do it.

the tecate kid
04-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Pat if you guys need more 175 engine parts let me know. I have that complete one that came out of mine. Just missing the countershaft and stator. Lou would have all the parts then. Did you get the pictures of the difference between cylinders that I emailed you yet?

old-yellow
04-19-2009, 02:28 PM
So tecate kid your saying that a blaster reed cage will fit into a stock YT 125 cylinder? and can you tell me what year of blaster reed cage I need to use?

the tecate kid
04-19-2009, 05:18 PM
It will fit. Any year blaster. The problem is, you wont get any performance gains due to the very restrictive intake porting yamaha has on the YT models. I went with a IT cylinder and head. You wouldnt believe the difference in the porting and the size of the intake opening. Read the project tri moto article. If you dont have it, I sent a copy to Pat. Its exactly what the Port Factory did, enlarge the intake to accept a larger reed cage. They actually went with a six petal style from a YZ. I sent pics to Pat comparing the difference in cylinders. Perhaps he can post them up.

Vealmonkey
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Tecate, I got the pictures, Wow. I guess the base gasket is the same? And does the piston seem to work with the stock con rod? 6 petal reeds compared to the 4 on the yt and mx.
Old yellow, the blaster reeds work with the it 175 cylinder if I read and understand the thread right.
And todays' progress. Lou Mielke swapped the yt175 front end to his yt125.
And we totally swapped the yt175 engine that was in my frame into Gazoos' trike. We installed the PK racing exhaust which Brian should have pictures up soon. We installed Boysen Reeds into Brians trike too. We also installed the carb that Lou cleaned up and reassembled, but we had a problem with Brians throttle cable for some unknown reason. Brian grudgingly modded it to work and things seem to be better. We finally got Brians trike to idle and now it won't seem to move under it's own power, so I think there is an issue with the clutch. But we are making progress in some areas and going back in others. There aren't too many parts original to Brians yt anymore. LOL We have some serious time into swapping parts and such with more work to go. Almost every used part we come up against, has to have some problem fixed with it. Damn those people who cobble these trikes together with standard bolts and booger welds and poor wiring.

the great gazoo
04-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow, a lot of reading since I last posted, & i gotta eat, so here's a breif synopsis of the days work, along w/ some photos. We decided to swap my 125 engine for Pat's 175 that came w/ his YT. Got the engine in, but no spark.......Hmmm, seems awful strange, so Lou found that Pat connected 2 CDI wires together(I'm rubbing off on him....), but we did not figure it out until we swapped coils from the 125 & 175. Photos, & then I'm going to post up once again to load more Photos

the great gazoo
04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
More pics gotta eat. more tomorrow..........

Vealmonkey
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Brian also invented a new word........Nos-some or nossome. It's NOS and Awesome combined. Ask Louis Mielke. Like Lous' new front fender and shroud and Brians' PK yt175 exhaust are like totally nossome dude. Get more pictures up Brian before I have to go to work since my work computer is down right now. Please.

bandito90
04-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Love the big handle bars!

Louis Mielke
04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah I never noticed how big those bars on mine are. Tis okay though they're comfy. Pat is totally NOSSOME! He keep hooking us up with some super nossome parts! We're gonna square up here shortly weather he likes it or not!

It's been an awesome day wrenching fellas! And brian don't worry I'll find that 175 cable set I have laying here and we'll get your throttle straightened out for sure!

the tecate kid
04-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Pat as far as I know the base gaskets are the same. They look identical to the naked eye. The whole lower end of the engine, once its bare, looks identical. Its all in the top. I got the pro tec swingarm mounted and the carrier today. Finally some progress. Trikefest is coming up quick. Did you ever find out if you shipped that brake arm? I looked under the flaps in the cardboard box and nothing Pat.

TriMotoMan
04-20-2009, 02:36 AM
is that a big wheel with triZ parts on it in the last pic?

Vealmonkey
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I didn't see an arm in the pictures. One is being fabbed up right now. I've cut the pieces out. They just need to be bent, welded and machined and drilled. The hardest part is the bending.
Yes, that is the bw with the tri z front end.

the tecate kid
04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Man thanks alot!

the great gazoo
04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
OK, here's more photos, the 2 stators(Pat pulled a gazoo& accidentally attached the cdi wires to themselves, making no spark, I swear I had NOTHING to do w/ that one:lol: ), The Boyesen power reeds, Lou busy at work(I STILL can't believe how quiet the stock 125 is!), & I gotta post another to fit more pics, gimme 60 seconds, please........

the great gazoo
04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Stoopid forgot to load pics.

the great gazoo
04-20-2009, 07:38 PM
OK, I guess I'm down to 2 per post, Here's Lou, & Lou & Pat, I think Pat was reaching for something & missed.......

the great gazoo
04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh how I love this system, NOT. Here's a few more, maybe one.,....I'm thinking this is the shot of the rears, Notice Lou's "Nossone" NOS front fender unit, you shoulda heard the god like music coming from Pat's basement when he brought it out. That's all for now. More tomorrow

the tecate kid
04-23-2009, 05:38 PM
got the aftermarket aluminum triples on last night and the yz 80 forks along with the pro tec swingarm. slowly but surely.

Vealmonkey
04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Ok, why are you posting this without pics??????? The brake arm is bent and welded together. It might not be till next week that I can get the 1 main hole machined, I'll try tonight though. You may want to try and make the arm look a little more like the stocker and then reweld it. I have been trying to rush this one through and the spring arm is a little thicker than I wanted it to be. A little artful grinding and some welding and it will be as sweet as a stocker. These things are a pain to make by hand one by one. I suppose
Pro Tec had some kind of fixture to stamp them out with which would be way easier. Get those pics posted up. I want to see more on that front end.

the tecate kid
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
I can send them to you. can you post them up along with the cylinder pics?

the great gazoo
04-23-2009, 07:08 PM
What kind of triples? You got an extra set?:lol: Yeah, somebody get those pics posted up, I'm dying to see Tecate's front end!!!!!

the tecate kid
04-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Actually I may. Be patient. I think I may have stumbled upon a mother-load of old school Tri Moto performance items. As soon as it is concrete, you guys will be the first to know.

Vealmonkey
04-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I have some pics the tecate kid sent me. The first group of pics are going to be of a comparison of it175 and yt 175 heads and cylinders to see the differences in combustion chamber size and porting and port timing. The pictures may not come up in order, so you will have to do a little bit of guess work on these. I hope this works. Hopefully the tecate kid will step in a little later and commentate on these.

Vealmonkey
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
This second set of pictures is the current progress on the tecate kids Pro Tec 175 project that he picked up from me. This trike is pretty nice so far. I know I"m really liking it and I hope everyone else will like it too.

Vealmonkey
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Here is the last of the pictures. Great work in my opinion. You don't see one of these kits everyday, unless your here in MD, LOL, let alone one with this attention to detail. Some great ideas here and some really useful information. I know I've changed my plans somewhat based on what I've learned. And that PCCC front end looks really nice on this trike too. I"m looking forward to his next progress pictues and the finished trike.

the great gazoo
04-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Wow, nice polishing job, Kid! What type shock is that? I'm thoroughly impressed! Way to go & keep the pics coming!!

chris200x
04-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Looks like an Elka to me Brian. Probably worth more that the wheeler itself! :D LOL!!

I'm really diggin this thread guys! keep up the great work!

the tecate kid
04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Not an Elka, its off of my neighbors bit bike that he won at NAPA! It fit perfect, although a little stiff. Pat thanks for posting the pics. I hope everyone can tell the differences in the engines. Basically every pic where the ports are bigger is the IT engine. It should really roll!. Oh, and its a six speed to boot.

the tecate kid
04-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Gazoo I cant take credit for the polishing. It is greg king polishing. he is here on the boards. he does immaculant work.

the great gazoo
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Ah so what, I woulda had the same guy polish my stuff too; I'm an even combination of lazy & busy, plus I like to drink beer:beer . I was going to guess Elka on the shock, but something told me not to, & I was right for once. Real nice job so far, Kid......

chris200x
04-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, the color on that rear shock threw me off. looks just like an Elka! nice job on that tecate kid.

the tecate kid
04-25-2009, 01:40 PM
chris that avatar of yours in spooky

Vealmonkey
04-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah Chris, How did you manage to get that? I've seen that on an old Grateful Dead Video Tape. If you managed to get that from the tape, how about getting me the part where the skeleton is riding the chopper please.

chris200x
04-25-2009, 04:21 PM
aaah,, a few deadheads lurkin... :D

It's one of those jam band stickers you can send on facebook. pretty trippy huh? :D that video you speak of is called Grateful Dead-Dead Ahead. A live show from radio city music hall. you should be able to find it on youtube.

oops,, my bad. here its. from the mars hotel :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_08GMAVTA

sorry for stinkin up your thread. :D

old-yellow
05-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Actually I may. Be patient. I think I may have stumbled upon a mother-load of old school Tri Moto performance items. As soon as it is concrete, you guys will be the first to know.

I have not been on here lately and was wondering if you hit mother load or what, if you did can you post some pictures.

Thanks, Alex

Vealmonkey
05-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, He teased us and left us hanging. I'm stalled on the yt175 right now. I haven't been up to Pa in 2 months or so, and I have a couple pieces that need rebuilt and bored out. We have been working on the great gazoos trike lately. His clutch has been giving me fits, but I think I may have a handle on it. Brian will probably be needing a new piston and rings himself. Maybe the Tecate kid will elaborate on his latest finds.

the tecate kid
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Thats the story of my life! LOL. I did email Pat some new pics. I also sent a neat sticker. I am just waiting on a carb and mine is a runner! As far as the score, Yes it is going to happen, when I dont know, I dont want to keep bugging the guy and make him mad. He is in the process of getting married. Poor guy.

Vealmonkey
05-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Give me his email address and I'll gladly bug him! It isn't like I have never annoyed anyone on here ever before. I don't always mean to, I just get caught up in things sometimes. I wish I had the ebay pics of the next to last Pro Tec kit I bought. That guy had the full size sticker on his rear fenders. Man I can't believe I lost those pictures. I tried to get him to remove the sticker with a hair drier or heat gun. I even tried to buy the fenders just to get the sticker. I do have to get those pictures from my email to my pictures section so I can get them posted up. It takes a little bit though and I've been lazy. Sorry.

Louis Mielke
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
UPDATE!

Well kids I've had a little time to work on my tri-moto. Currently we are fully suspended, put some awesome 18" golf kart tires on the back, a 20" lawn tire on the front, and I'm sitting here looking at a pk exhaust for a 175 in my room. I'm trying to decide if the 175 exhaust will hurt the 125. I also have a new UNI filter clamp on now. This little thing loves to walk sideways in the grass and dirt. I really think I need some wheel spacers or a wider axle now. I've had the rims flipped before but it just wasn't enough Had to flip em back to fit it in the shed.

Currently I'm still lacking brakes but hopefully I'll have that resolved soon enough.

Anyone have a yamaha blaster axle I could borrow to experiment with?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/yt125/HPIM0669.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/yt125/HPIM0670.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/yt125/HPIM0671.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/yt125/HPIM0672.jpg

Vealmonkey
06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Lou, that is way nicer than it was the last time I saw it. Looking good man. You really need to just bite the bullett and go 175. Do it Lou, just dooo-ooo it. LOL I don't know if the PK pipe would hurt it or not. We need to get you an it 175 cylinder and piston. At least one of us has a runner. Well, Brians runs, but it does sound a little loose in the cylinder area, and that clutch is a whole nother matter. We need to get Brians trike running. I can't do anythng with mine until I get to PA. We have to get your skidplate on there too. Anything else that we're forgetting, probably.

Louis Mielke
06-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I definitely need to go 175 but I'm having a little GititRagg put on that cylinder so it's gonna be a bit before we're at 175. Pat I have two more of those Golf Kart tires. You want them?

Vealmonkey
06-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Like I could say no. I might not run for a couple years, but it will look good sitting there. LOL

lookinforone
06-03-2009, 11:10 PM
loving the progress.
mostly posting to follow the thread.:D

old-yellow
06-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Veal,

I dont know if you found the picture of the pro tec sticker yet but here's one I
have.

bandito90
06-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Lou,The trikes looking good!

Vealmonkey
06-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Okay, I decided to spend some time and transfer and resize the pics that the tecate kid sent me of his progress. Don't be upset if these pictures follow any particular order. It seems that once they get into files that they have a mind of their own. Sorry about being so late with getting these pictures up, I seem to be behind on everything lately.

Vealmonkey
06-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Here are some more pics from the tecate kid.

Vealmonkey
06-08-2009, 01:17 AM
And here are the last of the tecate kids' pics. OOPS, don't mind the dare care from my trip to Conn to pick up a bike. I took the dare car pics for my codriver since he has a camaro and wanted the pics.

lookinforone
06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
the guards on the foot pegs are those yamaha parts? or made?

the tecate kid
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Those are NOS factory Yamaha foot gaurds. I lucked out and got them and a NOS yamaha hitch. If anyone is interested in the hitch let me know, I cant use it with the Pro Tec. My custom cables came in today. I just got in from riding the 175. All I can say is WOW! Not quite a Tecate, but not bad either. That 34mm carb really woke it up. Very hard to keep the front end down, even with those flat track tires. LOTS OF FUN!

TriMotoMan
06-08-2009, 10:17 PM
post some vids!

Vealmonkey
06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Don't look at me for posting vids. I've been posting all his pictures so far and I have no idea how to post vids. LOL

the tecate kid
06-09-2009, 06:55 AM
On their way Pat! LOL. Just kidding. Come see the real thing at trikefest trimotoman.

Vealmonkey
06-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I just got the completed pics of The Tecate Kids" finished Pro Tec 175. All I can say is WOW! This trike is Old School Hot. This is really the kind of trikes I dig. When you see these pics, you'll be overwhelmed. This is way sexier than any 250r. If you don't dig on this, there is really no hope for you. I should just send my stuff to The Kid and let him finish it for me. Enjoy these amazing pics. This is the hottest yt175...Bar None.

Bryan Raffa
06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
WOW >> Thats the BOMB KID!!!!!!!! dude I wanna rip that RAGGG at Trike Fest!! thats SWEET!

the tecate kid
06-18-2009, 08:48 PM
LOL. You have to get it out of Jessica's hands first. I built it for her because she hates 4 strokes. Isn't she cool?! Seriously, thanks for the kind words Pat. Its nice, but its not "OC" nice. It does look good next to the Tecate though. Bryan when it hits the powerband, watch out! it is a spooky little ride.

lookinforone
06-18-2009, 09:32 PM
good lookin trike there.
wish mine looked that good.

grio
06-18-2009, 09:48 PM
HOLY ***t. That's sexy.

TriMotoMan
06-19-2009, 12:43 AM
that is awesomee... i wish i could go to trikefest! it would be one hell of an expensive trip cuz i live in alaska

bandito90
06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
That trike is making me seriously drool right now!Great job.

HondaHarry
06-19-2009, 06:56 AM
awesome! love it! HH

old-yellow
06-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Tecate kid,
that trike is the bomb, were did you get that front number plate is it old school aftermarket or new school aftermarket?

Alex

Bryan Raffa
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Even if she dont let me ride it,,, I wanna sit on it and make noises!!!:lol:

the tecate kid
06-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Alex the plate is a DC Tecate plate. I called up Don and asked if he would do one in yellow. No problem he said. Bryan, me and Gil have a 30 pack of Busch beer with your name all over it. After you drink that, you can sit and make all the noises you want! LOL

Vealmonkey
07-05-2009, 04:38 PM
The Great Gazoo came over today and we did some work on his 175. I hope he posts shortly on here. We made some progress.

the great gazoo
07-05-2009, 05:37 PM
It moves!! Wow, what a freakin' time with the clutch, eh, Pat? We had it apart 2wice today & the 2nd time was a charm, turns out there was a spacer under the bottom steel that we didn't think of till the 2nd time. it's finally moving under it's own power. Now I need to toss out a couple hundred more clams for tires, sprockets, top end(& you know that'll lead to bottom end work!), a chain tensioner(I'm sure we can rig something up), plus the swinger bolt needs to be turned @ and changed out for a mushroom head, allen bolt type, so the chain doesn't rub it. All this stuff costs $$$ which I don't have right now. I'm hoping that I some of my stuff sells soon so I can get this thing running proper.
Thanks a ton for your help, Pat.

Vealmonkey
07-05-2009, 06:08 PM
The whole clutch thing on this engine was kind of crazy. For some reason the clutch assembly kept popping the retaining ring out of the clutch basket. I was told of this problem when I bought the trike but I never had a chance to look into it. Gazoo and I reassembled the clutch the way it was the last time he was over here and it popped out as soon as he put it in gear and he didn't have time so he put it up. We disassembled his whole clutch assembly this time and found an extra clutch steel plate and this round flat spacer in the clutch assembly and removed it and reassembled the clutch. This time when he put the bike in gear, it engaged but would not move the trike but it didn't pop apart either. Sort of progress. When we, I should say Brian, took the assembly back apart, we put the round "spacer" in between the balls in the bottome of the clutch housing and base clutch plate that holds the springs. We also tried using some older clutch fibers as we were suspect of some blue engine oil which might have been too slippery of the stock clutch material. So we cleaned things out the best we could and buttoned it all back together. Lo and behold, we had movement! There is some clutch slippage, but not much. So Brian will change the oil a couple more times with regular old oil. He also will be picking up a couple of needed bits and pieces and he will shop for a couple parts he would like to have, mainly tires and hopefully he will be able to pick up some new clutch fibers and he should be good to go. We have a bunch of little things, but a running and moving trike is good. Yay Brian. Also it is nice when things work out as this trike in its' many forms has seemed somewhat posessed! It has caused Brian, Lou and I to scratch our heads on several occasions. We are starting to get a handle on it now. Better tires and a non slipping clutch will have Brian be very happy.

edog
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
LOL. You have to get it out of Jessica's hands first. I built it for her because she hates 4 strokes. Isn't she cool?! Seriously, thanks for the kind words Pat. Its nice, but its not "OC" nice. It does look good next to the Tecate though. Bryan when it hits the powerband, watch out! it is a spooky little ride.

That is sick!!!!!!

Love the T-Type. I used to have one years ago.

old-yellow
07-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Your in luck edog its for sale, you could have one again.
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=99872

Vealmonkey
07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Old Yellow, I think he means the t-top buick in the earlier picture not the
yt175. I'd rather have the 175 though. They just don't make them like that any more.

old-yellow
07-05-2009, 09:24 PM
My bad I guess I am just a little stuck on the 175. LOL

Vealmonkey
07-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Maybe I'm wrong. Sometimes it's hard to follow e-dogs train of thought. That is a super sweet yt175 isn't it? Like you said, it's for sale...

old-yellow
11-15-2009, 08:13 PM
How is your trikes coming along guys? and I was wondering if one of you guys could give me the dimensions of the swing arm please.

Thanks, Alex