PDA

View Full Version : 200s trouble

83ATC185S
07-25-2008, 08:27 PM
hello

I have a 200s in a 185 frame, It would run ok when its cold and after it warms up it likes to die and not start. I thought it was the carb so i took off the carb from my trusty 185s(starts first pull). Put it on the 200 and nothing, wouldnt even start. I put the carb back on the 185 and started first pull.

Could it be the ignition? (i havent checked spark yet it got dark). Or something in the valve train?:wondering if anybody has any good info for me please post thanks:D

oscarmayer
07-25-2008, 11:40 PM
timing or cdi, maybe even bad coil.

ilmoakw
07-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I would say its the exciter coil under the flywheel. It has happened to me a few times...

83ATC185S
07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
well i put the carb back on and got it firing, all i did was check spark and stick it back in. I rode it for a few mins and it seemed to run fine,til it got really warm and wanted to die,Thats why i originally though it was the carb, I wouldnt go on a long ride with it yet though. It smokes a little bit when first started but not bad. The spark plug hole blows off your finger when you turn it over so it has good compression.

Im going to make sure the exciter coil and timing/valves are in check and rebuild the carb. Hopefully I can pinpoint this intermitten problem. any other ideas would be great

topless
07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
If you can, try another ignition coil. Heat will affect spark output on ones where the winding insulation is breaking down.

rdlsz24
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
My snowmobile had a bad stator and would run like crap when it got warm. I tested it cold and hot with a multimeter and it tested fine cold but tested bad when hot. Replacing the stator fixed the problem.

Rob