PDA

View Full Version : 1300.00 Barn find 85 350X...

i58829
07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I went down to a local place Saturday evening after we went riding (i had the 350 out that day) and i got to talking to an old friend. One thing led to another and i found out about an 85 350X in a guys garage up the road he was selling for a friend. I didn't think much of it because i really dont want/need any more toys but Wednesday i figured i'd better look into it a little closer. So anyway here it is, the frame has a little spot that was repaired and painted 3/4" above and below the weld. I can't find anything that isn't stock down to the grips, it still has the 2 metal tabs on the tool box bolts. There are paint markings on the top of the head and underside of the cases. Anyway here are a few pics you can make your own opinion. And yes it rides as good as it looks, the front tire is off the ground in 2nd, and theres a shot of me pulling out of a nice donut in the grass. I took it down the road to blow it out, all i can say is i wish my 86 was this tight, TC...

i58829
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Here's a few more. The guy i got it from has had it since the late 80's and the frame was welded when he got it. Not really sure on the hours but i dont think it has a ton. My plan is to let this thing sit like it has been and ride it around the yard once in a while to keep it is working order. It needs a good detailing and just a general cleaning/fresh oil and gas. I dont want to replace anything on it at this point, but the fork boots/tires are dry rotted so i may keep an eye out for those pieces. I bought it as an investment and figure i can save it for a rainy day and then sell it when i really need to, its most likely better than money in the bank...

i58829
07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
And this is where it is sitting now, i had to take the wheels off to get it inside. The lugs still have yellow paint markings on them, would that be factory as well? Hope you guys like it, TC...

devilman
07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
good find man, looks good sitting the the house, don't plan on riding it much?

rdlsz24
07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
How much did you get it for? Haha is that your bedroom?

Rob

i58829
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I dont plan on riding it at all, its worth more to me as something to look at. And yes its hiding out in the bedroom for the weekend, i flew back down to Fl this morning and i will be going up with a u-haul later in the weekend...

Bad Karma
07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Looks great! Glad I'm not the only one that likes to keep bikes in the house... :D

rdlsz24
07-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I would keep them in the basement if it wasn't finished and my wife would let me :lol:

Rob

devilman
07-25-2008, 02:15 PM
where did you find it at?

you all should see my kitchen, my 70 is on jack stands, tools all over the place...etc:crazy:

i58829
07-25-2008, 02:21 PM
It came from just outside of Snow Shoe Pa. Only about 4 miles from where i bought my 70 'cuda after it sat since 83 or 84 in a garage untouched. It was one of those things i didn't think much about but it turned out to be nicer than i could have ever imagined. I was expecting something maybe as nice as my 86 X when i picked it up a couple years ago but i guess it goes to show you need to follow up on all of the leads because you really never know.

I understand the kitchen deal i grew up with a harley in ours. It always had an S-10 dogdish hubcap to catch the oil (it was one of those if it not dripping you need to add more deals). Plus its not as temping to ride if it requires work to get it outside...

225DX DUDE
07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
you mind me asking how much you spent?

i58829
07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
you mind me asking how much you spent?

I dont mind letting people know, it seems lots of guys are interested in the price. So he was firm at 1700 and it sat in the garage for about 6 weeks for sale it was never listed in classified papers or anything (he'd push it out by the road on the weekends). Anyway i ended up at 1300 after i went to pick it up for 1400 the day before and noticed the frame damage. I dont know for sure but i figure its a 2500-3000 machine on ebay...

sgp56
07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
another 3 wheeler wasted. Dont just look at it, ride it!!

DeePa
07-25-2008, 03:59 PM
its not wasted at all. investment.

350x oem tires are hard to find, but they are out there. fork boots are still available OEM from honda for maybe 25ish bucks per boot.

Clean her up nice, shine it up, put it away covered

i58829
07-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey DeePa aren't the 85 tires harder to find? I was thinking i saw somewhere that the 85's were 'Pro-Vectors' and the 86 and later were P-V's, is that correct?

That wasted 3 wheelers are the one out west that are as nice if not nicer than mine that are parted out on ebay every other week. And as far as riding it goes it will see yard duty and thats it, when i get back up to Pa i will take updated pics of the rest of my rides, and i have a few interesting and funny stories about the 'test' runs (lets just say dont run wheel spacers). Both my restored 350X and the R are filthy now (i washed them but you never get them clean 100% if you ride them, especially in the coal dust/mud) They have seen several hours of use in the past 2 weeks since i got them back to Pa. Lots of trail riding, yard test runs/tuning and of course hill climbs and what not. The 350 was out for a flawless 3 hour ride on Rails-To-Trails. The 86 200x is the main beater and i rode it for at least 5 hours in the past 3 days...

devilman
07-25-2008, 04:21 PM
another 3 wheeler wasted. Dont just look at it, ride it!!

you say you will "ride it till it dies"(your 200x) what are you going to do with it when it dies...................another wasted three wheeler:twisted:

225DX DUDE
07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
you say your will "ride it till it dies"(your 200x) what are you going to do with it when it dies...................another wasted three wheeler:twisted:

^^ Thats true, it would be another wasted 3 wheeler, I wouldnt ride that 350x either. Good luck with it !!! ^^

tanks350x
07-25-2008, 04:58 PM
wow! awesome find, and investment, I probably wouldn't ride it either if I had that many to choose from,, good score

i58829
07-25-2008, 05:24 PM
wow! awesome find, and investment, I probably wouldn't ride it either if I had that many to choose from,, good score

Haha well if i had a harley i wouldn't have so many 3 wheelers. But the 200x is gonna have to go in the near future with moving 1200 miles i'm not in a position to keep them all at this point. But i guess thats life, i just didn't want to see it go to someone that would either destroy or part it out...

the great gazoo
07-25-2008, 05:26 PM
its not wasted at all. investment.

350x oem tires are hard to find, but they are out there. fork boots are still available OEM from honda for maybe 25ish bucks per boot.

Clean her up nice, shine it up, put it away covered

Oh they're a little MORE than 25ish for boots, Mike- I think they go for 35 or more per.
Very nice find, T.C.! I always like seeing the threads where people get good deals on trikes.

TrikesRule_FOOL
07-25-2008, 05:47 PM
sweet find! Looks mint to me.

DeePa
07-25-2008, 06:23 PM
i dont know about p/v and pro vectors...

i know 87's came with p/v...and i think 85 and 86 were pro vector unless they were replaced and then said p/v

The Goat
07-26-2008, 02:37 AM
you say you will "ride it till it dies"(your 200x) what are you going to do with it when it dies...................another wasted three wheeler:twisted:

well...lets see...you can buy new engines...have cylinders resleeved....universal bearings, swap out new parts, most plastics are still available... geeze, you people are so negative when someone wants a nice original bike AND wants to ride it.

heaven forbid.

to the poster, nice find....keep her running. and run it.

threewheelin-feelin
07-26-2008, 07:43 PM
haha i love the pic of it in your room...i rebuilt my 350x motor in the living room while watching tv lol andi tore down a 200s to the frame in the living room:w00t: