PDA

View Full Version : putting tubes in tires?

thefox
06-16-2003, 11:39 PM
How do you put tubes in tires without having the vale stems rip off? Half the time after riding around for a little while the stem rips off. I make sure that I get ones with offcenter stems and put them in the right way but the tube seems to shift. Any ideas?

Thanks, Andrew

ATCnut
06-17-2003, 12:19 AM
For knobbies, you want to change the tires from side to side. The tire slips one way on the rim on one side, and the other way on the other side.

Unfortunatly, this does not work for paddles.

Howdy
06-17-2003, 08:10 AM
Tubed tires need to run higher air pressure to keep the tubes from turning. I normally run 5psi in tubed tires. 4psi should be ok but 5psi is better.
Howdy

PowerTrike
06-17-2003, 07:36 PM
I just had a new tube put in my tire yesterday. Make sure to use steel stems. I would reccomend buying high quality ATV ones. I've never had a problems with the ones my local tire store puts in (steel stems) but they will rip out eventually (i've had this happen to me twice) if they are rubber stems.

my 2 cents.

250rAL
06-18-2003, 10:23 AM
I keep seeing threads like this and I don't get it. I ran tubes in my tires for years(Idon't right now) and I never had any problems with them. I ran low pressures too; as little as a pound and a half in my studded snow tires. Are you sure that you're using ATV tubes and not lawn tractor tubes? A friend of mine tried to go that route and the tube didn't last one ride.

bbechtel16
06-18-2003, 10:21 PM
I've been running tubes on the back of the SX 22x12.5x8 spider trac style since I got it and haven't had any problems. They might even be tractor tubes, since my dad got them for be and he works at a JD dealership.