PDA

View Full Version : Frontwheel lift?

Argus
07-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Are about to recieve a big red 250 1985, to use as a jetski puller. And are know wondering if you experied drivers know how the big red will handle when I back down and pull up the jetski, its a boat ramp that is pretty steap , will the front wheel lift, instead of pulling my jetski with trailer. Weight on the ski with trailer is about 700lbs.

rdlsz24
07-24-2008, 06:23 AM
I would be weary about using a trike to do that job. My 110hp Toyota truck struggles pulling our jetski up the ramp unless I put it in low range lol. But it is a stick which makes the process more tricky since I start out rolling back when I have to quickly let up on the clutch and get on the gas. Will the brakes of the trike be able to handle backing it down without pulling you into the lake/river with it?

Rob

The Goat
07-24-2008, 06:26 AM
make sure your front brake is a damned good one. the weight isn't necessarily too much...it all depends...luckily if you start rolling backwards, you cant go toooo far into the water, the jetski will stop you.

you can always use the redneck method...get someone on the jetski in the water...and right before you take off on the trike, get that person to give the ski a ton of gas, basically push you up the hill.

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Don't even try it... I know a guy who killed a whole busload of kids doing what you're thinkin of tryin- Just kiddin. 700 lbs? That really doesn't sound like much on a trailer for a big red. I would think you'd be just fine. This guy with his low range Toyota, I'm not sure what's goin on there- Low range to pull a jet ski? Is that the power wheels toyota?

Hoosier_Daddy
07-24-2008, 06:26 PM
I would be weary about using a trike to do that job. My 110hp Toyota truck struggles pulling our jetski up the ramp unless I put it in low range lol. But it is a stick which makes the process more tricky since I start out rolling back when I have to quickly let up on the clutch and get on the gas. Will the brakes of the trike be able to handle backing it down without pulling you into the lake/river with it?

Rob
There is a cure for that. Buy a Ford. lol:cool:

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I was gonna say something along those lines, Hoosier!:D I drive an 87 F-350 with a 460 and a 5 speed. One of my axles probly weighs more than that dudes "truck"!

Hoosier_Daddy
07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
LOL, I just got rid of an old beat up 88 F150 with a straight six. It wasn't anything special but it was probably the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. It took a beating and just kept going. Now I regret getting rid of it because I didn't think I'd be getting a trike when i sold it!!:cry:

rdlsz24
07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Well it is actually a pair of 770cc jet skis on a 2-place trailer. Easily over 1000 pounds. I just use low range because it makes it so I don't have to dump the clutch when I'm rolling back.

700 pounds doesn't sound like much for a trike but when you're pulling it up a wet steep ass ramp it's a whole different story. Go ahead and try it and let us know how it goes :)

Rob

sgp56
07-24-2008, 08:28 PM
The only way to know for sure is just try it. And all you people with fords, you need a CHEVY!! Chevy=reliability,strength,power,and good looks. Ford=cheap,low quality,unreliable,and cookie cutter looks.

willrideanythin
07-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I can pull start my Toyota on pavement with my 200ES. I just put my weight forward.

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I knew one of you bowtie boneheads would pop up. You guys can never keep your mouths shut. Speak softly and carry a big stick-

Trouble
07-24-2008, 08:36 PM
The only way to know for sure is just try it. And all you people with fords, you need a CHEVY!! Chevy=reliability,strength,power,and good looks. Ford=cheap,low quality,unreliable,and cookie cutter looks.

The mans knows what he is talking about!!

sgp56
07-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I knew one of you bowtie boneheads would pop up. You guys can never keep your mouths shut. Speak softly and carry a big stick-

Ford people not only speak soft, they are soft. Chevys are hard like a rock.

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Keep talkin, that's about all you Chevy guys are good for.

sgp56
07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
alright enough of this chevy ford rivalry thing. Chevys are obviously better. But as for this posting, just try it.

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 08:55 PM
alright enough of this chevy ford rivalry thing. Chevys are obviously better. But as for this posting, just try it.

Yeah, I agree. If burned out ignition modules and fuel pumps are your kind of thing. But yes, try it out.

88 Turbo Coupe
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
IF the jet ski and trailer are properly balanced there should be no more than 5 to 10% oe the total weight at the tounge. If you can weight the hitch on the ATC with 70 lbs and drive it around without a problem I would say you will be OK. Alot better than pulling your ski and then having a problem. An expensive problem to fix!!

gizmo_22
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
dont forget to throw a doge into the mix :D

Yamada
07-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Don't forget that water and drum brakes don't mix well. If the trikesit in the water the brake will be practicaly unusable.

seddon
07-24-2008, 09:37 PM
this whole FORD and chevy thing it remains me of a song dag it feels to be a gangsta

But real gangsta-a** niggas dont flex nuts
Cuz real gangsta-a** niggas know they got em

we dont have to all ways talk bc at the end of the day we have to go out and get are buddys broken chevy

devilman
07-24-2008, 10:18 PM
i would say not to use the ramp but maybe that shores around it. depending on the lake bottom. its probably not as steep also?

sgp56
07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
this whole FORD and chevy thing it remains me of a song dag it feels to be a gangsta

But real gangsta-a** niggas dont flex nuts
Cuz real gangsta-a** niggas know they got em

we dont have to all ways talk bc at the end of the day we have to go out and get are buddys broken chevy

haha you quotin geto boys. Dats cool.

firehart
07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Start by seeing on how it does on hills that don't have water on the bottom.

vegas250rr
07-25-2008, 06:00 PM
I would just add a sandbag to the front rack... you should be fine. oh yeah and ford trucks ROCK!

pickleweasel_00
07-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Like a rock...They won't get you anywhere :D

sgp56
07-25-2008, 07:45 PM
they are like a rock chisled to perfection. dodges are pretty good too, but theres can only be 1.

Macs
07-29-2008, 12:10 PM

This is funny coming from someone that isnt even old enough to drive.

fabiodriven
07-29-2008, 01:10 PM
This is funny coming from someone that isnt even old enough to drive.

God, I can't beleive I wasted my time on some kid-

scooterroo
07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
not adding fuel to the fire on this one, some of you all already knows where i stand when it comes to chevy and f@cked over rebuilt dodges. i just think its funny you need to put your toyota into low range to pull a jetski up a launch ramp. damn my old 4 banger s-10 could be half in the water and pull a side by side jetski trailer with two polaris slt780 right out off the water with out even trying. OH what a feeling!!!

drhatc200
07-29-2008, 07:29 PM
hey ill stop this be orignal amc jeep lol i like them all have drove them all right know i have a 93 s10 lowered flowmaster exhaust have had 2 jeep wagoneers had a 81 f150 4x4 extened cab long bed 351m man i loved that truck.

drhatc200
07-29-2008, 07:32 PM
here 200x on back of truck

atctim
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't think you'll need any weight on the front of the trike. remember - your rear axle is bearing all the weight - which will give you better traction too. When you get alot of weight on the rear rack - or say - a passenger - you are fighting because that weight squats the rear end. I have pulled a 700 pound trailer loaded with 6 trikes with my SX. Not saying I was ripping around with it - but I moved it from my front yard and backed it into my garage. As long as you get good traction - you will be fine. No problem!