PDA

View Full Version : 83 honda atc 110 wont run for sum reason!

chs10balla
07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
its a 83 honda atc 110 it has spark i cleaned the carb and valves,cleaned the gas tank, got a new spark plug, it has compression...then why wont it start? to me it makes no sence and i cant figure out why it wont start.. what else could i do or could be wrong.. i try to put starting fluid in it but no pop or anything.. what is it? anyoone know if so reply on here or email me hostetler_truck@windstream.net please i need help to get this baby running thanks...:(

fabiodriven
07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I've had two 110's and a 125M and once in a while they would do this to me. I'd ride em all day and then-boom, it would stall and not start. I'd wait a little while and it would start back up. All 3 of em did that to me. Quite random-

chs10balla
07-23-2008, 06:14 PM
yea but i just got it and it hasnt started once for me...wso what else could be wrong with it? is urs easy to pull?

chs10balla
07-23-2008, 07:00 PM
anyone else got any ideas i can do to maybe fix it? plzzzz

chs10balla
07-23-2008, 09:24 PM
bump...bump..bump....

ATCwithdrawals
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Take the sprk plug out and either dip it in gas or squirt just a little bit of gas in the plug hole and put it back in and try it. it should start and run for a split second . if not do a compression check . also, look to see if the cdi cover has been off. if so, maybe they took the pulse gen off and then put it back in and got it 180 degrees off timimg.

chs10balla
07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
how can i check compression and how do i adjust the cdi timing?

Taiser
07-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Mine does the same thing...even if it sparks I change the spark plug then it works fine. Haven't figured out why but the older plug seems to have sparks jump everywhere but in between the gap. I gave up figuring out why. I get about a year out of the plug, change it and everything is fine.

chs10balla
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
i just got a new plug though and it wont run...

Vealmonkey
07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Combustion takes fuel/air/spark, so if you have all 3 it should work. If it doesn't work, you are missing something. Did you hold the thumb throttle open while putting in starting fluid? Is the fuel petcock turned on? Did you try unhooking the fuel line at the carb and turn the petcock on to see if you have fuel flow? Did you check the strainer behind the petcock on the carb? Did you try taking out the air filter? The air filter may be clogged up. Did you try starting without the gas cap on, gas cap may be clogged up and not venting properly. Did you have the choke on? Did you try with the choke off? What are your carb and needle setting. Did you take apart the carb and put something back together wrong? Try this list and see what you can find.

chs10balla
07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
i just put the starting fluid right into the spark plug hole, yes the pet. was on yes it has flow,i cleaned the airfulter and box, i tried it with no gas cap, i tried it with choke on and off,i cleaned the carb and made sure i put everything back together right... so i dont know what it could be then>>???

Vealmonkey
07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
If you say you have spark, then it has to be fuel. Something you are not catching is going on with the carb. Whatever you did, you missed something.

chs10balla
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
but i put starting fluid in it and then dipped the sp in gas and tried to start it and not even a pop.....

firehart
07-23-2008, 11:28 PM
When you get yours fixed, you can fix mine. I bought mine last year and still haven't had time to look at it. I think some one was robbing parts off of it. I picked up for $50.00

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 01:42 AM
so what else could i check to see why it wont start? timing>? i have no idea...

Vealmonkey
07-24-2008, 03:24 AM
You said you were getting spark, right? You have to make sure the valves are properly adjusted and that the timing isn't 180 degrees out. The only way the timing could be that far out is if someone had the cam out and put it back in wrong. Have you made absolutely sure that you have constant spark. Intermittant spark could keep the trike from running. Let me ask you this, how did you check for spark? Did you remove the plug and hold it against the head while pull starting? What did the spark look like, nice and bright or kind of dull? If you don't have spark every time you use the pullstarter, that is not good.

Taiser
07-24-2008, 08:16 AM
If your getting fuel and spark it should be at least trying to start. Timing can't be changed on a CDI system. Only thing left is compression. If you put in fuel right in the spark plug hole (not much just a couple of drops) and it barely kicks over (just a rough rumble for a second or two) then it's probably got no compression. Get a cheap compression tester (the rubber tipped ones are fine for these things) and see what the compression is. Only thing after that is a weak spark and a coil change but coil failures are RARE. Compression is pretty much the last thing you have left to check so I'm pretty sure that's it.

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Your valve may be out of adjustment. Obviously you've got fuel and spark, how's the compression? Try backing the valves off a little and if it runs adjust em right.

sgp56
07-24-2008, 06:09 PM
for a engine to start you need gas,spark and compresson. strat with gas then check compresson the spark. One of them isnt right obviusly.

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 06:13 PM
how do i adjust the valves?> and how do i fix the compression cause its getting gas im pretty sure and its got spark but its really easy to pull like there is barely any compression so how do i fix that

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
yes i held the plug up against the head and it sparked bright every time vealmonkey...

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd bet it's the valves- I'd put money on it. See those two caps, one on the top side of the head, the other on the bottom? They're probly either 17 or 19mm's. Pull those off ond you'll see the rocker arms. On one end of the rocker there's a little skrew with a locknut. Loosen the locknut and back the skrew off, but made sure the cam is on the lowspot for each valve when you adjust them. Turn the motor over by hand until the valve gets pushed in and comes back up. just go a little past after the valve comes up and that's the lowspot.

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 07:02 PM
ill try that then get back to you...but even if i have spark and compression but it never even pops that still could mean its the valves?

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 07:05 PM
If you have compression, it's not the valves.

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 07:07 PM
i barely have compression like very lil..i shouldnt have said that..misinterpreted sorry.. so i should try that? is there a more easier way of explaining it im new to topends....= /

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Sorry, I know I'm not the best at explaining that stuff. It's really not that hard once you try it. Maybe you can find a manual? Basically what you're trying to accomplish is having the highspot (lobe) on the cam open the valves when they should and make sure the valves close on the lowspot. In order for the valves to be closed, they should either be barely contacting the cam or not contacting it at all. This is what's called "valve lash". Technicly, you're supposed to measure the clearance between the valve and the rocker with a feeler gauge with the cam in a lowspot, but if you just back off the adjust ment skrew until it barely contacts the cam, you'll be good. Just be sure you're adjusting it with the cam in a lowspot. If you get your motor to "TDC" (top dead center), you'll be good to adjust both valves.

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 07:17 PM
so i should loosen the screw on the top..slowly turn the motor till its at its top peak [lowspot] then tighten down the screw back down? is that what you are saying?

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Not really, loosen the skrew until it doesn't contact the valve. Then, tighten it until it almost touches the valve again, but not quite. You need just a little freeplay to ensure the valve is fully closed. Your intake valve will probly be the culprit. They usually wear more than the exhaust. Try this link, it's not for an ATC but it's basically what you need to do-

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/easy_valve_adjustment/index.html

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
ok thanks for helping me out man i really appreciate it.. ill get back to u in a bit with what happend thanks man

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
No problem.

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 07:54 PM
ok so i took them both off looked at them i unscrewed the top nut and i pulled the cord till that arm was all the way out to the full capacity...then i tightened that needle thats in the middle of that nut. i tightened that down so that it barely has ply between then but when i let go the arm.. w/e u call it would drop down and rest on that circle part.. sorry i dont know wat things are called yet im a neeb.. so i did that on both of them so that both has like half a cm between them and then i tightened the nuts and put the caps back on and i still dont got any compression...i prob did something wrong.. can u help?

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Let's deal with just the top one first- this is the intake valve. When you say you pulled it unti it was at its full capacity do you mean up, or down? It should be up when you adjust it. When it's down that means the cam is holding the valve open. when it's up, the valve should be fully closed, and that's also where you need to have a little play (lash). If it's all the way closed and you still have no compression the valves may be shot, or you may have another problem. If you put it all back together and pull the cord over fairly slow and listen in the airbox or the bell of the carb you might hear air hissing out. A tiny bit is OK, but if there's air hissing out of the airbox you've got valve issues.

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Here's another website. Your's is overhead cam with rocker arms.

http://www.dansmc.com/valveclearence.htm

chs10balla
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
i tried wat u told me and nothin happend the same thing as *Edited**Edited* i touched it.. im pissed

Texas 200x
07-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Do a compression test. And check the timing it could be firing at the wrong time. Check all your timing marks. You should get a pop or something with starting fluid. Definitely find a manual.

Atc GuY
07-28-2008, 01:15 AM
I have a ATC 110 with no compression that starts every pull. Do this: Take gas and put like atablespoon down the pulg hole, a few drops wont work, reinstall the plug and pull it over. IT SHOULD POP! I've worked on everything under the sun and this has worked! Before it sparks has air run out of the plug hole? I don't think anyone has a 3 wheeler that has less compression than mine, easily you can turn it over with a finger. Burns oil but the plug is always brown. It has never let me down. If it STILL wont run it's timing.

Atc GuY
07-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Mine is an 83 also