PDA

View Full Version : 86 Tri Zinger yt60 no start

86trizinger
07-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Well here's the deal. I have a 86 Tri zinger yt60. So far I have bored it 50 over and new piston and rings in it. New Stator, wiring harness and CDI module. I have spark and plenty of compression now.. I still have no start even with a little bit of starting fluid. I disconnected teh rear silencer as well.

The one other thing I noticed is there is no choke lever hooked up and there is no plunger in the choke section of the carb. Do I need this or is there a way to block it off temporarily to make sure I can start it before i spend more money on it.

Does anyone know the base setting I should use on the carb. My needle in on the top clip like the way I got it. How many turns do I set the mixture screw to? It was cranked in till it bottomed out and I now have it set at 1 1/2 turns out. I also need to know where to set the Idle screw at to get it started at least.

Please help me I dont know what to do next.

Thanks
Chris

fabiodriven
07-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Dude, I seriously doubt you'll get that thing started without the choke plunger. First of all you'll need the choke to start it cold, especially with the new top end. You should be running it rich to get more oil to the motor. Second, ditch the starting fluid. If it's not starting, fix it! You probly just spent alot of dough on that rebuild and you're going to blow it up with ether. Get the choke and work from there.

86trizinger
07-22-2008, 06:21 PM
SO basically it requires the plunger pretty much to start it then.. I guess sIll have to spend the othe $50 on it.. I just didn't want to spend a ton more money on it just yet. I only used starting fluid one quick spray to make sure I was getting some sort of fuel. IS there any way I can bypass the choke to get it started even a breif second>? And other recommendations on the base setting>?

TrikesRule_FOOL
07-22-2008, 06:56 PM
pull the spark plug, stand it up on the grab bar, pour a tiny bit pf pre-mix in the cylinder, put the plug back and give it a pull

fabiodriven
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
If you can block off the hole the choke plunger goes into and seal it on the seat area and from the top of the carb you may get it to start, but then again, you're going to be trying to start it with no choke. The last time I tried to start my Tri-zinger the choke cable snapped and it wouldn't even sputter. And it was pretty hot out, too.

sgp56
07-22-2008, 08:18 PM
yeah get that choke plunger. I haf the same problem on one of my bikes.

86trizinger
07-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Well I tried standing it up and pouring some pre mix in.. That didn't work.. I think it is trying to start a little by the puff of back smoke I get when I tri to start it. Guess I have to order the pluger for it as well as the choke cable and spring. No one has any spare parts laying around do you?

Vealmonkey
07-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Sorry, wish I could help you. When I sold my zinger I got rid of all my extra nos parts. Have you tried the dealer or bike bandit? Where in MD are you, Baltimore here.
Bike bandit lists the spring and the plunger for around $24 and whatever shipping would be and a new carb for around$150. Make sure you have the choke cable assembly or you may want to try and order that too.

86trizinger
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I am north of Baltimore about 20 miles near the Susquehanna River.. Not too far from you..

At this point I am trying to determine if it is worth putting more money into it or just sell it for parts and keep my son's chinese 4 wheeler that I hate.

TrikesRule_FOOL
07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I saw a choke cable sell on ebay last week for $11.55
How much does the dealer want?

86trizinger
07-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I got it up and started.. now I will order the rest of the parts I need. Anyone know where I can buy the DG pipe for it? It seems to bog down with the muffler on it.. but wihtout it its fine.

tecat-z
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
atvoverstock.com Got my zinger pipe there a few years ago.

fabiodriven
07-23-2008, 04:05 PM
A chinese quad or a Tri-Zinger!? I can't beleive you would consider such a question! Those two shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentance!:TrikesOwn

Vealmonkey
07-23-2008, 04:43 PM
You can go online and get the pipe direct from DG, that was how I purchased mine. Make sure you have a new larger exhaust gasket and you'll be fine. It's kind of a pain to put the exhaust gasket on as the design is a little crazy but it'll work and it will really wake the zinger up. And you know the zinger has a start position on the switch and a run position right? You can find some deals on nos stuff on ebay if you look.

ATCwithdrawals
07-23-2008, 09:13 PM
vealmonkey made a good point, about the start and run switch{they won't start in the run position} and it also sounds like your exhaust is plugged . probably where the silencer goes into the muffler. thats where mine plugged solid. it would start good but choke up when you give it any throttle. googd luck. these are snappy little trikes. Another thing, if you just spent a lot of money on a rebuild, I personaly would eliminate the oil injection and mix your gas. just my opinion.

86trizinger
07-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah I know about the start switch.. once of the reasons I bought a new switch. The silencer I am looking to buy soon as well has some reeds.. How do I adjust the Air mixture for this?

86trizinger
07-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Well I tried finding the DG pipe... DG site doesn't even list it anymore? any other recommendations where to find it?

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 04:16 PM
I looked too and found 'em on Ebay. They were about 135-

86trizinger
07-24-2008, 04:28 PM
i forgot to mention that has already been done.. WHat mixture ratio works the best.. Got any recomendations for adjustiing the mixture screw

fabiodriven
07-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I think you could run 40:1 or 50:1. I run my oil pump and it seems to work OK. What's the benefit of ditching it?

ATCwithdrawals
07-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah I know about the start switch.. once of the reasons I bought a new switch. The silencer I am looking to buy soon as well has some reeds.. How do I adjust the Air mixture for this?

There is two adj screws on the left side of carb. the one closest to the rear of the carb is the air/mix srew. that is set at 2 turns.

The only reason I disc. the oil pump was to for sure that it will always get the right fuel/oil mix. sometimes you never know when that oil pump is going to stop working until its to late and the damage has been done. I have been running mine that I just put a new rebuild kit at 50:1 amsoil semi synthetic. burning good color on plug at wide open throttle.

86trizinger
07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Well I got everything running with the rebuilt engine.. I got about 25 feet or so and the rear started to chatter very loudly and then slip.

I took the rear apart and started to see all the things the previous owner did.. weld the hubs to the axles..they tried to rebuild the rear but forgot the spacer.. Everything is messed up and missing parts. At this poit I just want a repalcement rear.
So if you have one please email or call me at mnboyd@verizon.net or 410-688-5032 Leave message. I am located just north of Baltimore.

chilly988
05-29-2010, 01:01 AM
how does the start switch affect the starting of the trike, what does it do? Thanks.

chilly988
05-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Also i just got a tri zinger 60 and i put new gas mix in it, replaced the coil and cleaned the carb. When i adjust the air adjustment screw to a good idle speed it chokes out and most of the time dies every time i give it throttle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dcreel
05-29-2010, 01:14 AM
how does the start switch affect the starting of the trike, what does it do? Thanks.

The switch has 3 positions. OFF, RUN, and START. You have to have the switch in the start position to start the trike, then after the trike has started you put the switch into the run position. A lot of the switches have the positions of the switches rubbed off the sticker next to the switch. If the recoil starter is pulled while the switch is in the run position, any voltage generated goes to ground; meaning there is no spark at the plug.

dcreel
05-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Also i just got a tri zinger 60 and i put new gas mix in it, replaced the coil and cleaned the carb. When i adjust the air adjustment screw to a good idle speed it chokes out and most of the time dies every time i give it throttle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have you plugged the auto luber? If you add pre mix to the gas in the tank and have premix in the auto luber you are going to have way too much premix to gas ratio. Have you checked the air filter, exhaust pipe for blockages, or for air leaks around the intake?