PDA

View Full Version : 250sx

endless
07-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Bought a 85 for 850 bucks. Haven't really touched it much. Put some new tires on the back, ams v trax's. Toughest tire I could find for a reasonable price 58 bucks a piece. Bought a carb kit and rebuilt the carb. Needs a new seat cover, if I keep riding then a whole new seat. Which is very likely, I try to get a ride a day in. I don't work, and collect disability so my schedule is pretty clear for riding. Guess fighting in Iraq takes it's toll on your mind. I need to take a look at the forks. Think a seal is blown, got oil coming out the boot. Nothing to bad but annoying. Grease leaks are a bit of an eye sore. Other then that I've put no money into it.

I ride it on some pretty rough desert trails, and I must say this is one fun trike. I've tore it up on 350x's 250r's they may have larger balls in the speed department, but some of the stuff I've been over I'd never attempt with one of the sport trikes.

We got some crazy flash floods yesterday, I'm talking washes flowing like rivers. I had to back track about 3 miles thru the boonies, in a attempt to find a crossing. I found one but it was a bit deep. I noticed my front end getting ready to dip below the water line, so I goosed it and that front end popped out the water no probs. Held onto the wheelie for the duration of the flowing water.

I got to say overall this is a great trail trike. I ride a bit fast thru some pretty bad terrain, and when needed that front end lifts right up, thru every gear. In 5th it has to be a little manhandled but I can keep the front end up to fly over ruts, and small dry washes. I've topped her out a little over 55 mph, and I'm 260 pounds. Fast enough for the trails, had a nasty wipe out when I was a kid on a xr650 so not being able to go 60+ might be a good thing for me.

I got a trx250 in the deal as well. For parts, I was going to fix it up, but just the cost in plastics alone is a bit to much for my taste. So I heard tell the swingarm on the trx is a bit longer. Is this true? Could I swap straight across? Or would I need to do a little fab to get it working? Its got some rusting in the gas tank as well. I know I can take it down to a radiator shop, but if they dip it will that remove the paint? If so is there another way to clean it out, without to much hassle? I've dug a bit and seen stuff on coating it, etching so on so forth. What is the best way is what I'm getting after?

Only gripe I got with the trike is man I wish there was a 6th. But there's few things out there I've ridden where I haven't had the same wishes.

We have miles of dirt roads up here, so there's always something to explore, and what better way then romping thru it on an sx.

Heres a pic shes still dirty, we got some clouds building up, and I'm hoping for mud lol.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8004/dsc01640largejf9.jpg

devilman
07-13-2008, 03:38 PM
nice sx you got there. i have a blast on mine. you want to buy a blue seat cover for it?

endless
07-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I wish you had the black seat cover, I might have jumped on that. Thanks for the offer.

Name Brand
07-13-2008, 03:59 PM
As far as I know, I'm the only one running a TRX swinger in an SX. I really like the extra wheelbase for climbing, and even more it let me run larger tires. All the info about the swap is on the 250SX link in my signature below.

endless
07-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Appreciate it name brand.

userj8670
07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Name Brand...i read over your thread and i must say its quite impressive. I was thinking about doing that extended swinger but it sounds a little on the complex side. I wanted to ask you, them tires, would they fit under a stock 250sx. Them things are huge and have to be a blast going through the mud. If so i am sold!

Jim

Dammit!
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Another Arizona triker. Welcome to the boards! Not sure where Golden Valley is but it sounds like you have some good riding there.

Edit: just saw you're near Kingman. That's an easy commute to the Rasor Road Trike Rally in January. You should attend.

225DX DUDE
07-15-2008, 10:02 PM
nice sx you got there. i have a blast on mine. you want to buy a blue seat cover for it?

PM sent...

Sorry for butting in on your thread endless..

Nice 250sx You have there!!

Hoosier_Daddy
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Very nice!

atctim
07-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Love them back tires - they look awesome.