PDA

View Full Version : Gas and clutch plates, bad combo?

toocheaptosmoke
07-13-2008, 12:00 AM
OK, I left the gas tank turned on the other day on my friend's bike, turns out the carb has a leaky needle and seat and it filled the engine with gas. But, the first thing I noticed was gas leaking from the water pump weep hole. Turns out the gas traveled from the carb, to the bottom end, into the gear box, then through the water pump oil seal. :eek: Had a half gallon of gas in the gear box.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/toocheaptosmoke/0711081302x.jpg

Now besides tearing the engine apart to fix where the gas was getting in, I'm worried about the clutch plates. Has anybody had experience with gas soaked plates? Don't want to put the engine together to find the clutches are bad, but don't want to spend the money if I don't have to either. Thanks. :beer

jason 32
07-13-2008, 03:07 AM
its 2 stroke?
you got more problems than that!
the carb will let fuel in the cylinder not the crank case!
unless the center case gasket is bad- then it would run like crap anyway

a 4stroke yes it could go through the carb into the case by the crank because the crank is not separate from the gear box
a 2 stroke no
you sure someone did'nt pull a crappy stunt on you?

Dirtcrasher
07-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Gas won't hurt the plates at all, thats what I use to clean them when I'm rebuilding a motor...........

toocheaptosmoke
07-13-2008, 09:47 PM
its 2 stroke?
you got more problems than that!
the carb will let fuel in the cylinder not the crank case!
unless the center case gasket is bad- then it would run like crap anyway

a 4stroke yes it could go through the carb into the case by the crank because the crank is not separate from the gear box
a 2 stroke no
you sure someone did'nt pull a crappy stunt on you?

Yes, I know I got problems. :lol: That's why I'm tearing it down, either got a bad crank seal or case seal, and a bad water pump oil seal. Previous owner just rebuilt it so who knows what we'll find inside...:banned:

Gas won't hurt the plates at all, thats what I use to clean them when I'm rebuilding a motor...........

Great, that's what I wanted to hear, just wanted to make sure the gas wouldn't hurt the fiber plates. Thanks. :beer