PDA

View Full Version : suspension 70

money89tractors
07-11-2008, 04:39 AM
I did a search before looking into this. I searched for suspension 70, atc 70 and CT 70 but didnt find what i was looking for.

From what i understand amd have read, the suspension 70s are aftermarket frames no longer produced. This includes the front tripples and forks.

My question is: will the CT 50/70 front end fit in the ATC70 frames? If they will, this would allow someone to make a 70 look like that mid 80s trikes (skinny front tire and normal rears)

As far as the rear suspension, the stock 70 frame can be cut and braced to accept a swing arm and shock fairly easy.

I say "braced" because i feel the light stamped steel frame is weak stock, and would only become weaker after cutting some of it away. The idea would be to take some steel plate and reenforcing parts of the frame (along the fram under the tank, along the bolt for the "swingarm" that will be installed, and probably some other places)

If anyone has any information that would help me, or someone else with the same ideals, out, please post.

Also, anyone with an aftermarket suspension 70 that would kindly measure the wheelbase of theirs so i can compair it to the stock 70 would be awesome.

-Phil

WaimakRydah
07-11-2008, 05:06 AM
some members of this board have suspended 70s. Dont know how they do it but they should be able to give you some answers.

scooterroo
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
a+ used to make the set-ups, and probably a couple others. i have even heard you can use a pitbike frame but need to get some triples machined. i have been looking into this as well, cuz i would love to do my 70 up suspended. do a search you will come up with a few threads on this subject.

Vealmonkey
07-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Here are a couple pictures of my suspension 70s. Hope this helps. Notice the pictures are not even close to a stock frame. All aftermarket using some of the 70 parts, but none of the frame or front end. The black frame and the trike with the blue atc70 fenders is an A+ frame as well as the red fiberglassed fendered frame. The gold looking frame is the PK Racing chromoly frame. The trike with the red fiberglass fenders is the one I sold to a board member on this forum. That trike looks nothing like that now and has disc brakes. He is converting the blue fendered trike to disc brakes for me and repairing a couple problems I had with the frame too. These are not converted stock frames in any way shape or form.

250rulzes
07-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Veal,

Lets see some of them zinger pics! :pics:

money89tractors
07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I know the suspension frames are completely after market. And from all the pictures ive seen of the A+ and other suspension frames, they would be fairly eay to duplicate. What i am wanting to do however, is make a suspension frame from the stock frame. Therefore, it could be a "kit".

I realize it wont look as nice as the A+ frames, but will serve the same purpose.

What i see as the biggest amount of outside work on this is the front tripples. Thats why i need to know if the CT70 front end will slip right into the ATC70 frame.

Vealmonkey - If you would, can you measure the wheelbase of the A+ and PK frames (center of front tire to center of rear)

-Phil

Vealmonkey
07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
The stock 70 frames won't hold up. They have a tendency to bend as it is let alone with the stresses of front and rear suspension. There is a board member that did a trike with an xl70 frame that was really trick. The best bet is to convert a pit bike or wait until one of the 2 frames that are in the works comes out. You do know that the tiger 80 was a converted ktm80 and the same with the kx70 or 80 frame? I have a ktm80 in the basement waiting some type of transformation to a 3 wheeler. You are better off starting with a dirtbike that has a steel tube frame than using the stamp steel frame of an atc70 or the 90/110 for that matter. I'm afraid you would further weaken an already weak 20 some year old stamped steel frame. But if you are dead set with making a kit for the atc70 frame then good luck. I don't have the suspension 70s here right now they are up in PA, but the wheelbase is maybe 10 inches longer than stock due to the front forks and the swingarm. The triple trees are pretty basic. All you would need is just some flat aluminum and drill 4 holes down through the top and 2 holes through the face and cut 2 slits the thickness of you saw blade and repeat that for the second piece and add your stem from and atc70 and that is pretty much your triple trees. You can make the fork holes any size you want and could even allow for upside down fork tubes if you wanted. The rear part of the stamped steel frame is your problem though. You have to have a real sturdy mounting point for the swingarm and the stamped steel frames just aren't that heavy duty. You could add some kind of reinforcement, but I personally think you are better off starting with a sturdier frame and engineering from there.

Vealmonkey
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
These are the only zinger pics I have left. Zinger was pretty much stock except DG nationals pipe, unrestricted exhaust gasket and heavier clutch springs which let the zinger rev up more before the clutches kicked in. I had replaced alot of parts with nos stuff and had her running pretty good. Nos rear fenders and seat and alot of other goodies. Sold it to a board member on here for a Christmas present for his son. There is another zinger stashed in the attic, but that is another story. I've been threatening one day to take pics of it and show what a really tricked out zinger looks like. Hard to deal with those memories though. We fixed that trike up for his son, who raced and drag raced the zinger, but tragically he died shortly thereafter and his dad gave me the trike since he couldn't bear to look at it, so it has some weird memories and vibes with it. It hides in the attic and hasn't seen the light of day in years. Maybe someday.

blue27
07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I will agree with Vealmonkey and say you should start with a pitbike frame. There is not a lot of work to do to make it work. I have two here for future projects but I need to finish up Vealmonkeys first, (I am working on it,lol) Here are a couple of pics of a Pitbike frame stock frame and ATC70 frame,(Silver one is an A+). There is a link to my A+ in my signature the"mini Tiger". I will measure a wheel base tonight but you can go to what ever length you want . I have seen a member extend an A+ swinger 6 inches and use a 250R Pro-Link shock set up. SWEET set up!!. If you are fabing it up you can do what every you want.

the great gazoo
07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Veal,

Lets see some of them zinger pics! :pics:

Awwww you oughta learn to keep quiet.

KASEY
07-21-2008, 07:54 PM
my first 2 attempts at suspension 70's were with stock frames,,,, both never made it past the second real down and dirty test,,,, without building a complete cradle around the motor ,, i tried everything,, so i went to a sl70 frame its a motorcycle frame,, it works great,,
http://i23.tinypic.com/5ckrif.jpg
i also built a+ frames too
http://i18.tinypic.com/357nlvm.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/1zp4kzk.jpg

scooterroo
07-22-2008, 12:27 AM
kasey where do you get the front fenders from?

KASEY
07-22-2008, 12:44 AM
those fenders came from the UK. i have been trying to find more ,,, so far those are all i have been able to locate,,,, if all else fails i will take one off and have some made,,, they are perfect for 70's ,,,