PDA

View Full Version : ***1986 350X clean up***

big schott
07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
I bought a 1986 350X last month. I wish I had taken more pics. of the process but I will show you what I have.
I got it from a great guy that bought it from a friend. I paid him $900 for this and I brought it home.
The rear fneder was broken, The handle bars were bent, the grabbar was destroyed, all the plastic was sundamaged, all the metal was oxidized, the seat was ripped, and the tank was rusted out. other than that,,,,Ok it looked like crap and the pics don't show all the problems.

big schott
07-10-2008, 12:39 AM
A few more pics. Not looking any better but...

big schott
07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
I soaked the whole machine in foamy engine cleaner. (to degrease/degrime)
I could not beleive it, the 350X looked pretty good. This pic is after I took off the handel bars heated them and bent them back to original. Then stripped, primed, painted,and clear coated them and installed them. Also I have installed the new fork boots and new grab bar.

I also cleaned the pipes and muffler up and repainted them.

big schott
07-10-2008, 12:51 AM
It is now 2 weeks later and after finding a different gas tank. Stripping it doing a little bondo work and prim and painting it. (I will get the pics off my phone and post them later) I got the original decals and had it clear coated at the local body shop.
I got the new plastic and installed the decals and recovered the seat and this brings me to the TODAY pics.
I installed a new carb kit and it runs like a champ.:Bounce :beer

big schott
07-10-2008, 12:57 AM
The wife and I took out my 1985 and the new 1986 350X's and put on about 25 miles tonight. The 86 runs out great and my wife foud herself liking the 350X better than her 200X. This has been a great build and look forward to my next.
I'm not done with this one at this time yet though. I am currently looking for a 1986 seat to put on this machine so if any body has a good one. (hint,hint)
PS I just got done cleaning the two.:beer

atctim
07-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Those look great. It is cool that your wife rides with you. A few of us guys on these boards got lucky in that department.

Keep up the good work on the trikes!

sgp56
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Those are some nice trikes.