PDA

View Full Version : smoking

ilmoakw
07-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I have a 200s and lately its smoking quite bad. With all your guys experience what would you say is the cause? Compression seems to be good so i might just redo the head and maybe throw in some new rings.
As for the rings, whats the best way to install them? Is there a special ring compressor needed to get the piston back up in the jug? How do you guys do this?

Eric250R
07-09-2008, 09:25 PM
I would say some new rings and valve seals. BUT, you should definately have the cylinder checked out while you have it off.

ilmoakw
07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
I would say some new rings and valve seals. BUT, you should definately have the cylinder checked out while you have it off.

Well i have a completely rebuilt head just waiting to go in it so thats taken care of. So all that will be left is to check the cylinder and hopefully it will be within tolerances so i just need to rering. How hard it it to stuff the piston back up into the jug?

SWIGIN
07-10-2008, 10:36 AM
not to hard...i just use my finger nails

since the cly has a chamfer at the bottom it goes in easy but if this is your first time just take it slow and dont twist the cly once you start

Erics350x
07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
you are better off getting a oversized piston kit and boring the cylinder. most of the time just re-ringing a older atc doesn't get rid of the smoking completely

Bulldozer
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
did you buy it in dieppe?if so its the valves seals i know the trike if you got it in dieppe few days ago

sgp56
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Its not hard to change the rings. You can just use your hands to put piston back in cylinder, you dont needs any special tools.

ilmoakw
07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
did you buy it in dieppe?if so its the valves seals i know the trike if you got it in dieppe few days ago

No i got it in Petty about 6 mos ago...it still goes like stink just don't like all the smoke. Maybe us New Brunswickers should keep in touch and let each other know of any ATCs that go on sale. I could have got a big red cheap last week but didnt have the money.