PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Secrets?

EAT_A_450
07-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Anyone have any cooling secrets? I just put an ESR 310 topend on my 250r and I can't keep it cool. I talked to a guy today that has built allot of them and he said the stock radiators are too small for the 310 topend- said every one he has ever seen has heating problems unless you detune them. I will buy some eventually but right now I can't shell out another $500. Any good additives or advice? Probally going to try some of those inline coolers as well.

dizasterzrfun69
07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
i've heard that "engine ice" and "water wetter" are both WONDERFUL coolants or additives to run.

The Goat
07-08-2008, 05:16 PM
inline coolers should shed temp considerably...

that's all theory as I don't own one, but they are all made out of alluminium with cooling fins, so it should work.

plus they are cheap.

WIkid500
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I would think an inline cooler would do the trick. Get your self a bottle of water wetter. I hear from other people, mostly used in drag cars, that it works very well.

Billy Golightly
07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
BS on the to small of radiators I think. My 500 hasn't over heated here in the extremely hot and HUMID florida weather yet. Engine Ice and other high performance coolants (Like -40 below too) are very good and will make all the difference in the world. Royal Purple makes a pretty good one too, I think they call it water wetter I ran that before I started using engine ice.

EAT_A_450
07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Cool- sounds good to me. I'll try some engine ice and some inline coolers!

KASEY
07-09-2008, 12:17 AM
agreed ,,, i am running stock radiators on my 500 also,,,, no issues water wetter or purple ice!! love both of them,,

Rex Karz
07-09-2008, 12:45 AM
You sure it's not jetted too lean ?

KillerBox
07-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I have always been told that products like water wetter and purple ice, reduce the heat going to the radiator but, increases the heat to the oil. Which in turn breaks down the oil quicker.

So keep an eye on your oil, if you use these types of products.

Dammit!
07-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I have always been told that products like water wetter and purple ice, reduce the heat going to the radiator but, increases the heat to the oil. Which in turn breaks down the oil quicker.

So keep an eye on your oil, if you use these types of products.

That makes no sense for a 2-stroke engine.

KillerBox
07-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Sorry, I didn't know we were talking about 2 strokes.

oscarmayer
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
the cleaner the motor the cooler ti stays.

NEVER paint/ polish any alloy cooling parts. it keeps the allow from disipating the heat as good as is should and can even cause hot sports under hard acceleration which cna lead to detonation if prolonged udner extreme conditions.

to clean alloy, i woudl recommend buying a bottle of purple stuff at autozone in the spray bottle. it's about $2. spray it on, let it stand for about 15 min, come back with a scrub bruhs and even use a old tooth brush for the hard to reach places.

if you use metal brishes it will score the surface and again start to over time hinder the coolign effect of the alloy's natural state. i personally have seen as much as 15* increase on a polished alloy head over a stocker. (we are talking cars, but the same principle applies) and those were water cooled not air so i imagien air could be even more drastic.

the pained head retained 37* more than the non-painted head. just an FYi.

Billy Golightly
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
OH!

I wanted to add this last night but forgot before I went to bed.

Change your spark plug from a B8ES to a B9ES or similar spark plug with a "9" heat range. I promise you THAT will be the biggest difference maker out of all of it right there.

EAT_A_450
07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, nothing is painted or polished and I am running a br9es. I'm gonna get some engine ice, retard my jetting a maybe order a new radiator cap. Hope this works some- Thanks guys!

Kintore
07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
So a 9 is cooler? I just found out duncan racing wants you to run a
Use only NGK BR9EVX Spark Plugs. Recommended gap .028”. Or BR9EIX w/factory preset gap.

im running a Br8es maybe thats why im having coolin issues

Ill try the 9 and run water wetter and that should cure me!

Billy Golightly
07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Yes, on the NGK plugs the bigger the # the cooler it is. I almost always run 9's anymore, its very easy to tell the difference between running and 8 and a 9. I've never ran a 10 before, but Ronnie has ran those quite a bit and recommended them to me before. No one around here carries them though.

Kintore
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds good ill make sure to try that! You running that even on your stock/ish 250rs?

Dammit!
07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
So a 9 is cooler? I just found out duncan racing wants you to run a
Use only NGK BR9EVX Spark Plugs. Recommended gap .028”. Or BR9EIX w/factory preset gap.

im running a Br8es maybe thats why im having coolin issues

Ill try the 9 and run water wetter and that should cure me!

Did they say what is different about the BR9EVX?

oscarmayer
07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
heck find a 10 and run that! :p

Billy Golightly
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't know about the VX, but the EIX is a fine wire electrode plug. Alot of the alcohol and drag race guys like to use them because the end of the electrode will burn off from heat and kill the spark before the piston gets holed. Normally, anyways :)

clutchcargo
07-09-2008, 03:29 PM
What is the best product to use for removing the paint completely from my radiators, that won't damage the aluminum? Any suggestions?

oscarmayer
07-09-2008, 04:25 PM
acid that is used for cleaning pools. you will have to let it soke for a while, but it should work.

also aircract paint stripper, but this will eb a bit more messy. if your rad came "painted" it's more likley it's coated than painted.

03 ORANGE SHEE
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
i run a 10 in my black tri-z
proper jetting keeps the bike cool, bottom line!