PDA

View Full Version : TECATE Ride Report...

brrcuda
07-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Well I finally had a chance to properly test a tecate on a ride. I have owned one for 2 years and only rode it around the yard once before i tore it down to restore. This is not my tecate but i had a lot of fun riding this beast. All fixed up with a fresh CDI and Coil fixed it right up.

OK - well i am very pleased with the ride experience. Its a totally diff ride from the 250R and Tri-z. This tecate i would call basically stock with oem exhaust, carb, but boyeson reeds and reed spacer installed - big deal.

First startup - it definetly vibrates alot, but i only noticed it on initial startup, otherwise I felt I could ride it all day long. Once i got used to rear kick its easy as long as dont use MX boots - snag the fenders.

Riding - the overall feeling at first was that there was no front tire at all. But that also comes with getting used to the different ergonomics of it. The front end did tend to dive in corners and i think the forks need thicker oil to assist better. Other than that i felt good. Tight and easily tossed in a corner slide.

Powerband - classic no low end and plenty of top end. It seemed to love 4th and 5th top speed. When in powerband whicj hits at about 1/3 throttle would spin the tires in all gears. Takes alittle getting used to but once understood, i could ride this trike just like the rest and probabaly pass them in the highs. It just felt stong in the upper revs. I never officially topped it out - i ran out of runway.

Overall i really liked the feeling of it and it had an exhilarating topend speed. I even like the twist throttle on this trike - since it has a lagging lowend, the feeling of being tossed off tends to go away. I wouldnt change the throttle on a tecate.

Anyways - in case you wondering how a tecate rides - i like it - Here's some pics of the trike - its still getting wrenched on for reliability but it would be the perfect sandpit trike.

hadar
07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Nice work man. I allways thought they had good mid range power as well.

scooterroo
07-08-2008, 03:47 PM
nice brrcuda. nice pics as well.

ccdhowell
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Good ride report, you described the "Tecate Experience" very well. Nice trike too.

Chris

Dirtcrasher
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
NICE...... I like the "ride report", we need more of those :)

ccdhowell
07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
NICE...... I like the "ride report", we need more of those :)

I agree, guys lets "wax poetically" about the trikes we love so much. It would be great to get guys impressions about their trike and the places they ride. On some forums I've been a member of guys would write ride reports and trip reports and race reports all the time, accompanied with pics. I enjoyed every one of them. I write a race report after every race, posted down in the Quad Central section. Good writing is nice to read, but it doesn't matter to me, just write-up your experiences, post a few pics and we'll all be better off for it. Thanks for reading me ramble.

Chris

brrcuda
07-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Well here is some video of the tecate. Nothing special but shows you how i rode it for the most part. You will notice i love to blow out corners. Not the best quality but......

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/dipasquale20/86%20Tecate/?action=view&current=100_0458.flv

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg214/dipasquale20/86%20Tecate/?action=view&current=paul2.flv

My plan on a later date is to do an official shootout of the big 3. 3 diff riders and 3 mostly stock 250s. Everything from first impression and build quality to MX, drag and more. Do an old school DW style shootout. Someday when i have all 3 together... I always thought that would be cool thing to do at TF too. A nice long unbiased writeup with pics and videos to assist.

enjoy........

scooterroo
07-09-2008, 07:32 AM
great idea, i think that would be well worth the effort and give everyone an up to date impression on these machines.

DeePa
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
haha sweet, i cant wait to rip this thing up. itll take some time and cash, but eventually.

thanks for getting it going and making it look nice. i really apprecaite it.

brrcuda
07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Yah deepa, you will love this ride. I really like the way it sits especially, it towers over my R.

Its running so fat that the exhaust is spooging oil. There is a lot of potential in that tecate and some fine tuning/jetting will wake it up even more. You need to ride it one time before i pull the elec system back - oh and my exhaust system too :lol:.

Im gonna burn the rest of the gas off in the tank and then stuff it in the garage til you pick it up.:TrikesOwn