PDA

View Full Version : need help out on cleaning gas tank

Manny55
06-15-2003, 05:20 PM
well i need to clean my gas tank becuz i'm not getting enough gas flow. Well i am not a very good mechanic when it comes to naming parts I was wondering what a petcock is and where it's located on a 1982 250r three wheeler? And how do u flush the gas tank out and am i suppose to un hook like a cord so it flushes out do i just use regular gas for the R its 2 stroke acourse plzz respond back to this if u can answer these questions.

ATC crazy
06-15-2003, 05:35 PM
The petcock is a small valve that lets gas flow from the tank to the carb. It has a lever that can turn the gas "OFF" which stops the flow of gas. It also has settings for "ON" which is for normal riding, and "RES" which is reserve. When you run out of gas when the petcock is in the "ON" setting, you turn it to reserve to burn the excess gas in the very bottom of the tank to get you home. If you run out of gas while in "RES" then you are screwed. It should be located on the lefthand side just below the gas tank.

As for your tank cleaning...I don't know b/c I have never had to do it. (Thats the beauty of plastic tanks ;) )

ATCs Reborn
06-16-2003, 03:53 AM
yeah, just unscrew the petcock from the tank. clean the passage with it turned to on, then clean it again with it turned to reserve, then repeat if neccessary.
you likely have rust in the tank if your pet is clogged and just flushin won't last ya too long. here's a half arse way of gettin the bulk of the rust out. empty the tank, leave the petcock off, get ya a couple handfuls of gravel and throw them in the tank. put the cap on and hold your finger over the petcock hole. now just shake the sh!t out of it in all different directions and the gravel will knock off most of the rust that's just waitin to fall off and clog up the pet or line. then shake the gravel out and rinse the tank a couple dozen times with clean water and let it dry out overnite or so.
as for your other question about what kind of gas, i hope that was just a mistake. i hope you weren't running it with straight gas, you have to have 2 stroke oil in the gas.
good luck,
steve