PDA

View Full Version : Head problems... HELP NEEDED!

WaimakRydah
07-04-2008, 05:58 PM
alright so my bikes been having some issues lately but managed to get it to run but sometimes it starts sometimes it doesnt... i took my spark plug off to see how black it was then i put a different one in (same size) and it was a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* of a thing to get in so i forced it in by putting alot of pressure on my spark plug remover so it went in. Later i took it out and noticed i had destroyed half of the thread in the spark plug port and there was a hole heap of metal shavings around it... Is there a way i can re thread it or am I going to have to get a hole new head. I have never taken a head off before.

Dirtcrasher
07-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Not good stuff....

You can get a helicoil kit (about 60$) - put grease on the tap, keep the piston at BDC and have at it. Pray for the smallest amount of metal shaving contamination.

Honestly though, if you haven't done some machinist type work, you may want to get some help.

I'm surprised you didn't feel it cross-threading?, plugs need to thread in and out smooth so this doesn't happen.

i58829
07-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I'd say you may already have a fair amount of metal in the cyl. at this point. I'd pull the head (or motor) and find someone up to the job to get it fixed before more things get damaged. I dont know a ton about the motors so i personally wouldn't rip into one, i'd rather pay someone to fix it right the first time, TC...

WaimakRydah
07-05-2008, 12:47 AM
i know someone whos dad is an engineer and he said he could take the head off and re thread it at his work for free :D when i took the plug out i pulled the starter rope several times in hopes of blowing metal shavings out of the cylinder thru the plug port. The plug goes in abit but it moves around abit and air escapes from around the plug as its no longer air tight. i pulled it once like this and it make a big bang... Hopefully all works out and I get the bike going sometime next week. Atleast Im not missing out on any riding because the weathers crap at the moment

WaimakRydah
07-06-2008, 06:46 PM
when its rethreaded will i need 2 purchase a slightly bigger plug?

WaimakRydah
07-08-2008, 05:59 AM
so my friends dad came around today and he took the engine out and he is going to take it to his place or his work. If he has a repair kit at his house he said he wont charge me but if he does it at his work there will be a charge but it shouldnt be much as it will only be for using the equipment at his work. He said it should be done by the end of the week and i should be riding by then.

WaimakRydah
07-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Incase anyone was wondering. I got the engine back today it wasnt starting with an old plug but I got a new one and it started first pull and runs good as always.

oscarmayer
07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
never foirce any bolt, screw or or threaded item. it should always be a smooth transition. the onyl exception is if your using lock nuts of any type.