PDA

View Full Version : 83 M 200 Issues, carb, trans, valves

polaris_paul
07-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Im fixing up my neighbors 1983.. from what i gather its an m (solid axel) 200.
Im new to this fourm and think its a good one from waht i read.

After a few hours of tinkering i got this thing running, but theres a few problems.
1. Ive rebuilt the carb due to the float being stuck on and i was trying to se t the idle. The slide isnt hung up on the throttle cable. When the trike is cold the idle can be set and its very finiky... once it warms up this idle is way to low.. So i reset the idle for hot, and its very finiky again.. Then if i rev the engin up allitle it will increase in rmps alot and have a high idle (like in a diesel pickup or truck). The high idle wont go away unless i mnuall slow then engin down.. by hitting the kill switch.. etc. Once it is down to a good rpm, it wont stay there for l ong.. it will sloly rev up... to stop it form reving up and holding that lower idle, i put it in second gear.. this way it will stay at a low idle. I wana know what is wrong. Basically i cnat get it to idle.. when its hot it revs up. Also whats the correct jettign for this thing? main.. needle. piolet.. is there a air or fule screw??
2. What is the valve lash for this engin.. 200. i read sumwehres in an atical here 0.003 but i htin kthats way to small.. cuz most things are like 0.015. Whats exasht and intake?
3. Tranny. When shifting between gears it is really hard to do.. almost liek theres no clutch and i have to get the rpms just right.. so i adjusted that one nut and screwdiver thing on the right hand side of the trike if *Edited**Edited* sitting on it. I adjusted it so it was easier to shift but i ran into the problem of it not grabbing the gear quick enoughf.. so i adjusted it to wehre it grabs the gear enough, but when i do that it makes it really hard to shift. So how can i make it easy to shift and grab the gear at the same time??
Also what does that one adjustment do on TOP of the bottom end near the JUG closer to the lef thand side of middle.. like closer to *Edited**Edited* shifter side. ??

thanks.

YTZ Money Pit
07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
i had the same carb problem with the '84 200M i got a cupple weeks ago but mine was also bogging out at the top end but the carb only did this a cupple of times a ride. it was also back fireing a lot before it would die. not saying that this is what yours is doing, but rust from my corroded gas tank was getting into the carb and messing stuff up. so i fixed the gas tank, rebuilt the carb again, and its been good.

Mikeproc
07-04-2008, 12:17 AM
exhaust and intake for these motors seem to run well for me at .006-.008mm there is a pilot screw on the bottom of the carb close to the cylinder cooling fins you can get to pretty easily with a 4in1 screw driver if you pull the flat head side out of the driver. turn it all the way in seat it gently and screw it out 1.5 to 1.75 and it should work well also. that adjuster on the top of the bottom end your talking about is the automatic timing chain tensioner. just loosen the 10mm bolt on top when the motor is good and warm running at roughly 1400rpms and its supposed to adjust itself shut it down and tighten the bolt and your good.