PDA

View Full Version : How frustrated am I going to get??

tanks350x
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I just picked up a carb rebuild kit for my 350X. put out by MOOSE utility division
When I picked it up, I noticed that there weren't any instructions in the package, just a clear plastic bag with about 10 or 12 pieces in it, They all look pretty self explanatory to me. Here's the deal, I'm doing this to a carb that I picked up on ebay. If by chance, the carb is missing an o-ring somewhere or something of that nature, How frustrated am I going to get trying to get this right? Obviously I want to have every piece to be in their proper place, and mounted correctly. I guess I'm gonna have to follow the manual real close while doing this. I cant justify spending the shop labor rates any more

super90
07-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Its all very easy. All you need is a couple screw drivers and needle nose pliers. Theres nothing to these old carbs. Tuning them is a different story!

Erics350x
07-02-2008, 12:34 AM
just look at a parts break-down on a site like bikebandit.com or servicehonda.com

brapp
07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
it houldnt be too hard of you ahve the manual just think twice turn once and make shure every time a screw driver touches a screw it fits snug these carbs can be striped out easilyand then it just sucks when you cant get somethgin out.

tanks350x
07-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I haven't found the time to tackle it yet though. gonna do it tomorrow. good thing I have access to a nice set of Snap-On screwdrivers to do it

honda250sx
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
What you really need is a good set of metric screw drivers. All japanese,chinese, Tryonthese,etc... Use JIS fastners. If you really want to destroy screws and "Cam" them out then you can. Proper screw driver of choice is the metric ones. Believe me or flame me. You will see when you own a set. MUCH DIFFERENCE grass hoppa.

Dirtcrasher
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Tanks, if you want to come by I'll give you a lesson on what has always worked for me with carbs.

I'm off for 4 days now and plenty of wrenching is the plan.......

pickleweasel_00
07-03-2008, 09:36 PM
metric screwdrivers? I think I might have seen them in the same section as the metric crescent wrenches and metric pliers :wondering

Dirtcrasher
07-04-2008, 12:21 PM
He's actually not kidding. There is in fact a difference. Kinda like trying to use standard allen wrenches in a metric allen bolt.

Tanks, I'll give you a yell in a bit, just waking up........

tanks350x
07-04-2008, 09:12 PM
:D Thanks DC for all your help today. And thanks for the compliments and making me feel alot better about what I payed for it.. I got home and I think the voltage regulator let go,, the lights got very bright, then shut off all together:eek:

Dirtcrasher
07-05-2008, 08:43 AM
:D Thanks DC for all your help today. And thanks for the compliments and making me feel alot better about what I payed for it.. I got home and I think the voltage regulator let go,, the lights got very bright, then shut off all together:eek:

LOL, I knew they seemed too bright.....

Glad I could help, let me know if you can't find those pilots and post up that sprocket guard! EDIT - Never knew there was a difference from the 85 guard to the 86 guard.....

honda250sx
07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Count on me not responding to your post Tanks. Thanks.

tanks350x
07-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Count on me not responding to your post Tanks. Thanks.

Sorry if I offended you, I just never heard of metric screwdrivers thats all. Thought you were being sarcastic.

super90
07-07-2008, 07:23 PM
wow i never knew they made metric screw drivers either :lol: most of mine are homemade out of hardened steel :crazy:

honda250sx
07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Do a little shopping outside sears and home depot. Then maybe you will find out where to get the RIGHT tool for the job. Remember these are Japanese Industrial Standard fastners...