PDA

View Full Version : Engine colors.. Not for looks

TrailerRider
07-01-2008, 03:04 PM
for "Performance"

If I wanted the motor to run cooler, painting it black would draw out heat more efficiently right? Like touching a black car in summer = ouch! Before I put the motor back in the 200s I was considering painting the motor black. Opinions?

DarkestGKnight
07-01-2008, 03:05 PM
just dont paint the head and cylinder black it will run much cooler like that.

Hoosier_Daddy
07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Black absorbs light and holds heat. That's why black cars are hot in the sun. The color won't matter as long as the sun isn't shining on it. If the sun is shining on it the color that would keep it coolest would be white.

Basically, the darker the color the more heat it will absorb and hold.

Erics350x
07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
it wont make any difference in this scenario

willrideanythin
07-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I think white would release the heat. Even if the paint is on the out side of the engine it will still hold the heat on the surface. try heating a white pan and a black pan to the same temp. The white one will cool faster. I may be wrong though. There is a reason "cooler" clothing is not black, The heat comes more from you the the sun or external heat sources.

300rman
07-02-2008, 12:04 AM
no paint=better cooling.

money89tractors
07-02-2008, 12:30 AM
no paint=better cooling.

correct!! thats why briggs and stratton stopped painting their engines. They learned the engine holds more heat and runs hotter with paint on it than it does as juat a bare cast block.

-Phil

willrideanythin
07-02-2008, 05:13 AM
because the paint acts like a blanket.

LonesomeTriZ
07-02-2008, 05:44 AM
Black absorbs light and holds heat. That's why black cars are hot in the sun. The color won't matter as long as the sun isn't shining on it. If the sun is shining on it the color that would keep it coolest would be white.

Basically, the darker the color the more heat it will absorb and hold.

What he said.

No paint = cooler running engine.