PDA

View Full Version : YTM 200E or DX

Tri-Z 250
07-01-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm looking at a 1985 200E DX yellow/black guy says its a good runner. I just stopped by and looked at the machine. The owner not being home I was unable to start the thing without the key. His price is afordable and I think fare...I'm not real familar with this unit. I questioning the SHAFT DRIVE system. Is there any certian thing to look for when buying and test riding the unit? The standard checks have been made as far as the rear end is tight, triples are tight(shocks need rebuilt), slight oil on the bottom of the right side case(poss gasket or just bind guy filling oil res without funnel). The trike is as stock as it gets and was adult ridden one owner. It's not mint but I'd consider it to be in pretty desent shape. I pulled on the recoil and I'd say he used the electric start every time(snaps right back cord is good). The compression is not very impressive but I'm wondering if the bike might have a decompression mech in the motor? One good pull will retrieve three good rolling chugs...Brakes could use new cables but they do stop and work. Plastic is solid and it has all the racks and flaps and the seat is cumfee. The grab bab hasn't been scrapped to no manic wheeles looks like he did use it on the farm(trailer hitch). Battery new and tires look to be almost new he said he just replaced them not long ago. Any pointers would help this would be a mudder for me but a stable ride for Momma...How are these machines in durable/life with the shaft and reverse?:beer

freewheel3
07-02-2008, 12:49 AM
First of all, there is no such thing as a 200E DX. If it has rear suspension and reverse, it is a 225 DR.
If it is a hardtail with reverse it is an '85 200 ERN.
They are both great trikes for their purpose. The ERN is more a workhorse with slower gearing and 25" tires while the DR is bit sportier with faster gearing and 22" tires. Also a nicer ride with the rear suspension.
The decompression lever is manually activated on either of these units. It is near the top of the head on the right side. Just flip it up.
Make sure you test drive it and get it warmed up good to see how the clutch behaves. If the motor / trans seem good, listen for a growl from the rearend indicating bearing troubles. (not fun) Try to have a look at the rearend oil if you can. If it's nasty looking, REALLY listen for a growl while riding it.
The only problems I've had with Yammies has been rear diff troubles due to lack of maintenance by prior owners.

Tri-Z 250
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the advisement on what to look and listen for. It is a hardtail trike which I take is the ERN model. It had the lever on the head which I noticed. Wow I question the $price as I've seen the DX DR models sell for 500 on 3ww in slightly better shape. It looks worked no question about it but it's solid. He wants 500 and his bottom line is 400. I kind wonder if I should just keep shopping for a rear suspended model.