PDA

View Full Version : Drag racer Question for the pros.......

atctim
06-29-2008, 09:26 PM
So on Wednesday at my local fair (a mile from where I live) they are having ATV Drags for the first time ever. So I figure - perfect to go spank some arse on my 500. It has a plus 3 swinger. I lowered the forks in the trips about 3 inches. Now - here is my question - I have put my 25" ITP Mud Lites on it. They are tall and new and grippy as it gets. But they are not near as light as say - 4 snows or the like. Will I be OK with these or should I switch to a lighter smaller (22" or 20") tire? They hooked up really well in my wet grass in the yard - and I roto-tilled about a 15 - 20' patch when launching hard - then hardly any spin in 2nd. Are these too much?

Will be launching in muddy clay I assume. It may dry out a bit?

Got suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

brapp
06-29-2008, 09:43 PM
i woudl say run them if you got the power to spin them i kick ass with the wooly buggar copies with the extra knobs cut out on my 250r bu use ratchet straps or take the springs out to get it low so you can come of fthe line hard.

atctim
06-29-2008, 10:10 PM
having a stock rear shock and plus 3 swinger makes it low when I am on it. Low enough to only have about 1/2 clearance between the fenders and the tire.

1upfront
06-29-2008, 10:20 PM
sounds like you got a good plan, the tires they should work good, go out there and smoke some quads lol

Daddio
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
The taller 25s may actually be better for your 500. If it were a 250 they would probably be too tall. As far as hooking up well the 4snows work extremely well for 1upfront but his machine is geared for his 22" tires. For something like your 500 pro wedges would probably work better because they are a little stiffer. If you are only going to drag race it occasionally then just keep the mudlites on it.
When you launch stay as far up on the seat as possible. If you have any problems with it wheelieing stay up on the seat. Wheelies look cool but they will cost you the race. A good launch is the first step to winning the race.
I don't know how you have it jetted but you might try leaning the main jet out a size or two just for the day. That will make it a little crisper on top. You will need it to pull good on the top end of the powerband in the higher gears. :naughty:
You should be able to beat just about any atv out there with it. What do they have for classes?
Good luck!

atctim
06-30-2008, 09:59 AM
4 classes - stock sport, Utility under 500cc, Utility over 500cc, and open. I will obviously be running in the open class -

$20 entry fee - $100 to the winner - should be easy money if nothing breaks.

Man this thing is fast :)

http://www.venustel.com/~tkeister/tractor.jpg

keister
06-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Glad to hear the 500 is up and ripping.
Make sure Shelly takes her video camera - this I gotta see.

Kintore
06-30-2008, 03:37 PM
So shes all ready to go? what did you do to fix it????

lookin hot!

atctim
06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Darn Dang and Darn - it was a flipping mis-print.

But I did find this:

ATV Drag Races
Dayton Fair in Armstrong County
Monday, August 11, 2008

* 100 People Limit
* $20.00 Entry Fee
* Pit Pass $15.00
* Practice runs from 4:00-5:30 PM
* Race Starts at 6:00 PM
* Double Elimination
* 4 Classes: Stock Sport, Utlity 501 and up, 500 and down, Open
* Trophy for top 3 of each class
* $100.00 to winner of Open Class
* Registration open until 8-9 or until full

PRE-REGISTRATION IS A MUST

Contact Stiller Motorsports at 724-545-1070

Dayton is located in Armstrong County, approx. 30 mins. from Kittanning, Indiana, and Punxsutawney.

Kintore - I am doing away with the decompression head. Once I got all the coolant out of the lower end - it starts up relatively easy. My right leg is huge :)