Hey Everyone
I cannot get my sx to stay running.
This is what I've done:
1. replace the plug
2. clean the petcock strainer
3. clean out the fuel cap
4. completely disassemble and clean the carb
5. I've fiddled around with the pilot screw

It will start with a shot of starter fluid but it wont idle or keep running. What could I be missing?
I'm going to blow this F#@*ing thing up.

T

Vealmonkey
06-28-2008, 10:19 PM
The idle screw and passage or the airscrew and passage could be messed up. Have you tried lowering the e clip on the needle? You could have a clogged passage. Have you cleaned your air filter thoroughly? How does your sparkplug electrode look, white, tan or black? You could be missing something. A clean and rebuilt carb doesn't always mean that it will work. Some carbs have been abused by previous owners. Your just getting to experience the fun part of triking. Hang in there.

Erics350x
06-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Unhook the fuel line and turn the gas on to see if you have good flow. If so, tear the carb aparts again and clean every hole/jet.

Nick_R_23
06-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Get a carb rebuild kit, I was having the same problems with my Big Red (has the same carb as a 250sx) and I cleaned it out at least 10 times and no matter what it still wouldnt run right. That kit made worlds of difference and it will now fire up 1st or 2nd kick every time and runs and idles PERFECT, with no gas leaks. Best 20$ you'll ever spend.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

WaimakRydah
06-29-2008, 03:35 AM
DONT blow it up ship it to me instead

Dirtcrasher
06-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Sounds like fuel bud....

If it won't even run, get another carb. Get a 350X carb that runs for 30$ and try it out - rule that out as a problem.

If it will run - As soon as it spudders and dies, shut the gas off and the engine off. Then loosen the bowl drain screw on the lower part of the carb. There should be a fair amount of fuel in there at that point or there is a fuel delivery problem.

As far as the rest of the carb, you have probably posted and cleaned it a bunch of times, hopefully with every single part removed inside and out.

If that pilot screw tip is worn or if the oring is not in the correct place, then it will not idle and barely start for that matter. Did you buy a rebuild kit for this carb? There about 15$ and the jets do in fact get gummed up over the years and should be changed in a 20yo carb.......

What does a new plug say? white? brown? black?

tmecars
06-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks, gentlemen.

I'm going to get a carb kit. The original plug was black on the end. (rich) I dont think I've had it running long enough to get a good reading on the new plug. I will try to get it started (with starter fluid) and check the bowl. If the bowl is empty then I guess the carb kit will be justified.

T

Dirtcrasher
06-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks, gentlemen.

I'm going to get a carb kit. The original plug was black on the end. (rich) I dont think I've had it running long enough to get a good reading on the new plug. I will try to get it started (with starter fluid) and check the bowl. If the bowl is empty then I guess the carb kit will be justified.

T

The carb kit is ALWAYS justified, cheap and easy to do.

The bowl empty can mean, petcock, screen, filter or venting problem from the tank to the carb. It can also mean a float or float valve problem within the carb. BUT, it will tell you if the fuel is IN the carb at that time of spudder/death.

Piece of cake, you'll get it................