PDA

View Full Version : My 87 200X build

willrideanythin
06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I bought this 200X about a month ago for 625 out the door from a dealer. It appear to be in great shape with normal original wear and tear. It has minimal dents in the tank, and the paint/pc is worn in key spots. Everything works on it. The head light had a busted cover. The fork boots are ripped, Thus causing the fork seals to fail. I rode it for about 2 weeks pretty hard, Then the clutch started slipping. I decided if its going to be down for the clutch, I should hog wild it. There the pix of my buddy and his kid on it at a motor cross practice track.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/lukeshorey/DSCF9302.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/lukeshorey/DSCF9334.jpg

I have put it down for the start of the build.

I have gotten the following:

New red front and rear fenders as well and new red tank shrouds.

Athena fork seals

-1 tooth front sprocket

Black engine paint

LTZ400 front brake res.

IMS folding shifter

Temp gauge

Raptor 660R rear shocks

Head light cover

Custom SS dash plate

PRM wide rear grab bar

Long Horn fat bars with adapter

ASV shorty C5 clutch

Tusk hand guards

Douglas blue label 10" rear rims

20" Kenda Klaw XCR or 20" Kenda Fast Trekkers (havent decided what pair to run yet)

Parking brake block off

Black fork boots

Red valve stem caps

Spike valve stem caps for the forks

Clutch kit

Rear shock cover

Plan to order soon:

Red chain

Syko tank

23.5 Kenda Front Max

Seat cover (black)

Rear wheel spacers

ASK shorty black C5 front brake lever

ASV dust cover

PC work

Spider or Tag grips

Nerfs of some sort

Maybe some Trail Tech lights

Future plans:

LTZ400 pegs with maximizer from Pro Armor

Full exhaust

Cam (any advice)

ITP C-series rims

Bigger carb (need advice)

EHS Racing air box lid

XR200 CDI box

Attack grahics

Rear # plate

Iradium plug (spelling?)

And last but not least respect at the MX track

Ill keep you posted as I go. If you have any advice or opinions please let the flow. I will also be needing a fork cap for it if anyone happens to have one.

i58829
06-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Man that sounds like you've been planning on a crazy rebuild/resto from the start. I can't wait to see what it turns into, and good luck with the build. The best advice i've heard is to take your time and do it the way you want instead of trying to make it sub-par and redoing it again later because it wasn't good enough, TC...

And as a side note the C-series 4 spoke rims looks great but weigh a ton compared to a stocker, i was gonna stick my 10 inch pair on the R but i decided they'd be better suited for the X's torque.

willrideanythin
06-28-2008, 09:12 PM
OH Im taking my time. I have 6 hours in the dash and head light cover and am yet to finish the dash. It it all hand cut stainless. It will be PCed black to cover light scratches though.

As for the rims I planned on C series but bought the Douglas rims cheap from a friend. They are crazy light. I have 10" C-Series on my DVX and like the idea of switching rim/tire back and forth due to the same bolt pattern. I havent decided yet.

WaimakRydah
06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
that sounds like it will be one hell of a 200cc trike post pics of your progress too i would quite like to see before and after pics and build pics

Dirtcrasher
06-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Thats a great price for an 87!

86/87 200X's are my favorite ATC. Be careful in that motor, there are a couple of oil orifices that must go back in the right way to meter the oil down. I'd also avoid using those fork seals, new OEM honda kits are still available and everytime I use any other brand, they leak......

If you have any questions, this is the place to be. Good luck on the build.

willrideanythin
06-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Thats a great price for an 87!

86/87 200X's are my favorite ATC. Be careful in that motor, there are a couple of oil orifices that must go back in the right way to meter the oil down. I'd also avoid using those fork seals, new OEM honda kits are still available and everytime I use any other brand, they leak......

If you have any questions, this is the place to be. Good luck on the build.

Thanks for the fork seal advice, I bought them because I have run Athena stuff befor with no issues. I have never modded anything with forks though.

willrideanythin
06-29-2008, 10:28 AM
That is a nice looking bike now, can't wait to see it when you're done! DC is the man when it comes to these x's and if you haven't checked out his build you should. He could probably offer some good info/advise on the cam and carb. Wish I could offer you some, but my bikes have few or no upgrades.

My build will mostly be cosmetic for now. I just want to ride the dang thing. The motor work will most likely be this winter when its too cold to ride, Although I bought some Kenda Sand Geckos for winter riding. I also have a ski, LOL.

Does any one know if there is a BBK available for it? MY DVX is pretty much built to the max and I cant have just one major build i the stable.

dirtface
06-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Be careful when your in the motor to, I am just about finished building a 1986 200x and nobody makes a aftermarket rod kit for these bikes and the Honda ones are discontinued.

Dirtcrasher
06-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Be careful when your in the motor to, I am just about finished building a 1986 200x and nobody makes a aftermarket rod kit for these bikes and the Honda ones are discontinued.

I never spent much time looking into it but I do have 3 bad cranks. Not to mention that most people ruin the threads on the drive side because they are lefthand threads

Regardless, my next step is a stroker crank for these motors, somebody has to be able to help us out or were gonna have to machine it ourselves.

That is a nice looking bike now, can't wait to see it when you're done! DC is the man when it comes to these x's and if you haven't checked out his build you should. He could probably offer some good info/advise on the cam and carb. Wish I could offer you some, but my bikes have few or no upgrades.

Thanks Brad, but what you can offer us are some AWESOME SHROUDS!! I still need a red set from you too....

dirtface
06-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I check with Vesrah and from the way it looks they have never made an aftermarket rod for the '86-'87 200x. From the way it looks Honda you had to buy all the pieces all separately (each bearing, bearing race, rod, rod pin and the two aluminum looking washers on each side of the rod) I know for sure the two washers are discontinued. Even if it was still all availible with shipping it was somewhere between two and three hundred dollars (can't remember exactly how much). I even tried the XR and XL around those years, with little luck. I ended up buying one off of Ebay,( it was the one that OC had,low hours) I took a chance and it paid off, nice rod (no wear)and good threads on the crank. I have two bad ones laying here too.

dmfaulks85
01-29-2014, 03:45 AM
Sand geckos are terrible in the snow, find some pro wedges or maxxis 4-snows, u will be unstoppable

Bren_downe
01-29-2014, 04:36 AM
You do realize this thread is 6 years old, right?

250r'en +TCB
01-29-2014, 12:04 PM
And to further that, the guy who started this thread has not logged in since 2011....Why dmfaulks85?

yaegerb
01-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Holy dead posts batman.....

oldskool83
01-29-2014, 03:40 PM
it put's the lotion on it's skin, it does with its told!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!