PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200x idle and hard starting problems.

Hippie459MN
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Well, here goes my first post. Awsome forum by the way and glad I found it. :D

First I just picked up a 1985 Honda 200x for $300 cause the guy wanted money to fix his motorcycle. I couldnt pass it up plus I have a really soft spot in my heart for 3-Wheelers. :D

The problem I am having is it is a pain to start. I can kick that think about 20 times before it will fire and once it does you cant turn the idle down to far or it will die right away and just wouldnt want to restart. I did have to replace the spark plug boot as the guy tried to make it work with the wrong style plug in it and messed up bad but that seemed to help a tiny bit with the starting with the boot now fitting tight on the plug.

I checked the spark and it would look super strong and then after a few kicks it would look kind of weak. I then decided that I would rebuild the carb with no change really. It did need it anyways though as it sat for about a year and a half with todays crappy dont last long gas in it.

I decided to look into the spark thing again and decided to replace the source coil and see if that would change anything (Got a brand new Ricks Pulser Coil for $20 so thought I would try it) and it now will restart with one or 2 kicks after its been running a bit and it idles a bit smoother but you still cant turn the idle down much and it still has a slight miss to it. After replacing the source coil the spark still looked weak to me but that could just be me.

Here is a link to a video of it idleing so you can hear the miss. This was before I replaced the source coil. The miss is better now but its still there.

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT-M0Tbf9Qc

Here is a pic of my new $300 toy. Just needs a good paint job on the tank. :)
http://www.hippie459mn.com/downloads/100_0842.jpg

Again, Awsome forum. Wish I would have found this place alot sooner. And I miss my 200s (about 6 months ago someone decided they wanted it more than me I guess).

edog
06-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the board!!!!!!!!

SeaBass8
06-28-2008, 10:47 AM
:welcome:

WOW! Solid trike you got there for 300 bones. Nice score! :w00t:

SeaBass8

Erics350x
06-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Looks like a real good deal!
Sounds like the slow jet has some trash in it or the valves may need adjusted. Both are critical when it comes to a smooth idle. I'd install a inline fuel filter after cleaning the carb again. Try setting the mixture screw at 1.25-1.5 turns out then adjusting the idle.
Did the flywheel have any rust in it?

Hippie459MN
06-28-2008, 01:32 PM
There was no rust on the flywheel or anything. The oil was a bit nasty but im sure thats been from years of use so I changed that.

As for the mixture screw, is that the on on the bottom of the float bowl? If it is it is turned all the way in and was that way when I took it apart so I put the new rubber seal on it and screwed all the way back in. I will try to back it out some and see how it goes. Other than the idle screw that is the only other one. I did put in a bunch of new parts in the carb and nothing was blocked that I could see.

As for the valves, How would you go about adjusting the ones on these machines? I dont have a manual for this thing and the shops around here have to order one or order one online and end up waiting and I am not ver patient. lol I wanna ride it now. :D

Thaks for the welcome and thanks for the help.

Texas 200x
06-28-2008, 02:49 PM
The mixture screw is on the bottom of the carb. Intially turn it 2 1/4 turns out. The idle screw is on the side of the carb. The valves are set through the two round caps on the top of the engine. You will need a feeler gauge. The one with the angle bent at the end work easier. To adjust you loosen the 10mm nut and tighten or loosen the stud until is is snug with the feeler gauge between the stud and the valve top. Then keeping the stud in place tighten down the nut. You will see what I'm talking about when you open the caps. It can be tough to get the feeler gauge in there. Valve lash is .08mm (.003in) Hope this helps. You can find a manual on ebay. Or google for one some people have posted them online for free but you have to look. Thats looks like a great deal for 300 bucks!

Hippie459MN
06-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Well, Upon closer inspection and looking at some of the left over parts in the carb rebuild kit I realized the mixture screw was gone! I then took the one from my rebuild kit that I didn't know where it went at first and along with the Honda 200x service manual I found online (I will post a download link here) I got it back in and now it seems to work 100x better. I set it at the 1 3/4 turn the manual recommended. It runs and idles way better and once you get it running (Still a tiny pain sometimes to get it started when its cold) if you kill it or something it restarts on the first or 2nd kick.

I was so happy to figure it out. Now to do some more fine tuning but it worked more than good enough for me to rip up the track in the back yard for an hour or two. Well, a full tank of gas worth. :)

This is the best $300 toy I have bought since my 200s.

Thank you everyone for the help and Texas 200x, Thank you for the great info. :D

I hope to have some video of the 200X in action very soon! Now to find a few new pieces to make it look somewhat new again. :beer

1983-1985 Honda 200x Service Manual Download Link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9K0BP5JW

:TrikesOwn

WaimakRydah
06-28-2008, 11:42 PM
try changing the choke position when you start and what happened to your 200S? Did it get stolen? I love my 200S but id prefer a 200X because of manual clutch kick start and rear suspension

Hippie459MN
06-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Yes, It got stolen. We were up at the race track and someone decided to come take it when we were all sleeping. The neighbors 05 Yamaha Raptor 660 got stolen and the people a few camping spots down had a Kawasaki XK250 dirtbike stolen. All in the same night. It sucks but I got a better toy now.

WaimakRydah
06-29-2008, 06:11 AM
did u try find the bikes after they were stolen?

oldtime3wheeler
06-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Wish my 200x looked that good

Hippie459MN
06-30-2008, 07:57 AM
did u try find the bikes after they were stolen?

Yeah but didnt have any luck.

Wish my 200x looked that good

Thank you. :D

I am gonna do alot of work to it soon to clean it up and I have a nice set of rims from my old wheeler that should fit that I think will look awsome on it. I will take lots of pics along the way for sure.

thcowboy
02-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Nice. I wish i could find one in minnesota in that shape for $300 :(

Hippie459MN
02-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Nice. I wish i could find one in minnesota in that shape for $300 :(

Yeah, only reason I got it as cheap as I did is cause I know the guy and it had been bugging him to sell it for about 2 years at that point and he said cause he couldnt get it to run anymore and it had been sitting for them 2 years he said, you do work on my motorcycle and its yours and all in all, with parts and labor into his bike, I was into it for about $300. Then a $12 carb rebuilt kit and a clutch cable and I was in business. Its all tore to pieces in my basement right now. Finally going to give it some major cosmetic work. Not this past fall but the fall before my mom backed into it with her truck and the reciever hitch snagged the plastics and busted them all up so in sadness, I really didnt even ride it at all last year and I am not going another year so time to fix it up finally. :)

thcowboy
02-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Yeah, only reason I got it as cheap as I did is cause I know the guy and it had been bugging him to sell it for about 2 years at that point and he said cause he couldnt get it to run anymore and it had been sitting for them 2 years he said, you do work on my motorcycle and its yours and all in all, with parts and labor into his bike, I was into it for about $300. Then a $12 carb rebuilt kit and a clutch cable and I was in business. Its all tore to pieces in my basement right now. Finally going to give it some major cosmetic work. Not this past fall but the fall before my mom backed into it with her truck and the reciever hitch snagged the plastics and busted them all up so in sadness, I really didnt even ride it at all last year and I am not going another year so time to fix it up finally. :)

Wow that sucks :rolleyes:

If i could even find a 200x in minnesota for under $1000 would be awesome :lol:

Hippie459MN
02-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Here was the aftermath of a receiver hitch to a 3 wheeler. These pictures are about a year old. Its all apart right now getting redone and going to be putting all new seat and plastics on and some fresh paint on everything.