PDA

View Full Version : Always wondered... 250r vs 350x

roger86200x
06-28-2008, 12:32 AM
I have always wondered.... what do people prefer... the 350x or the 250r?

I suppose they both have pros and cons as with anything....but I've never ridden a 350x before.

Id like to hear what the differences/similarities with them are...

Which one is quicker in general, which one has more top end vs bottom end, etc... Id like to buy something faster than my 86 200x someday here and Id like a trike for sure...

I know the 250r is really fast, but I cant compare as Ive never actually even SEEN a 350x in person lol....

besides 2 stroke vs 4 stroke and mixing gas or not.... what are the different riding qualities.... you know, besides just the performance...

Thanks,

Roger

Dammit!
06-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Completely different animals.

The R has much faster acceleration and probably 7-10mph faster top speed. It's lighter than a 350x by at least 30 pounds. The R has WAY better suspension.

The 350x obviously has much more low end power. Easier to control. A great machine in it's own right. Plenty of power, wheelies with ease, reliable.

Which one is right for you depends on what you like and what type of riding you'll be doing.

Dirtcrasher
06-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I love my X, it suits my style perfectly. It is not as easy to jump, the suspension should be allot better for the added weight but if I make a mistake - It won't send me 100 feet in the air or into the woods :lol:

The X is a tamed wheelie machine with gobs of torque and easy throttle control.

The R is a pure bred racing machine, it can be driven lightly but it wants to be revved and launched. If I were a young kid without obligations, I'd definitely want an R again.

I find both of them to be super fun to ride.

You also have your 86 200X, which is the 350X's little brother. It's lighter and allot easier to handle in the air and has pretty good suspension too. Thats why I choose to have both the 86 350X and my jumping trike, the 86 200X.

i58829
06-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree that they are 2 different animals, and the high revving 2 strokes are just that. It's not a tight trail or putt around the yard kind of machine. They like to be blown out and ridden at much higher rpms. So it will need to be ridden more aggressively that a 4 stroke.

The 350x on the other hand in my opinion is the better choice because you can get on it and putt around the yard (lots of bottom end pick up), if you dont mind kicking it you could use it like a utility machine, and then when it comes time to rip around the X will run with the best of them.

I really haven't had a lot of ride time on either of mine that i have right now but when i was up north i preferred my 84 200x to the air cooled R on most occasions...

tri-Z ripper
06-28-2008, 01:02 PM
i love them all but something about 2 strokes tickles my fancy! but when im riding tight trails and rocky trails the 200X is much more fun easier to handle not as much clutching! the 350X just being heavier and more power then the 200X makes it an ideal trail machine! the 250R is definetly a speed DEMON so wich do you prefer holly crap fast? or controlled speed!!

roger86200x
06-29-2008, 02:03 AM
lol.... well I like the HOLY CRAP FAST!

When I ride my 200x I never let off....almost never...

Around corners I just downshift, punch it and "Drift"/slide around.... I HATE having to slow down...

After rebuilding my 200x I noticed a BIG difference...

I bored it out .020 (if memory servers me right) over with a 10.5:1 compression Wiseco piston, put on a Cobra exhaust, new valves and head job, and then... bolted on a bigger front sprocket... its a very unusual combination of teeth front and rear and hard to get the chain right sometimes... BUT HOLY CRAP it made a difference...

I figured I wasnt in 6th gear down a road alot maxed out, but more of a 5th gear through tight trails at break-neck speeds kinda rider... so I wanted more bottom end to REALLY stomp the crap outta my friends. The bigger sprocket ALMOST dumped me off the first time I rode it... I took off down my driveway and shifted to 2nd and HAMMERED on it and the front wheel came off the ground and I was on the grab bar, lol... but I didnt fall off....lol

The best thing ever is ripping down a road and passing a car on a trike.... lol the looks on peoples faces... :naughty:

But my point was that I've outgrown my 200x I think... I like it alot, but its just not fast ENOUGH. I drive a 2008 F250 SuperDuty truck... lol 6speed and all... and I drive it like I tole it all the time... not typical of an f250 lol... but I cant stand cars unless they are REALLY sporty... and that means big money... and I NEED a truck for my "farm" and the winter months here in the Western NY snow belt... so the point is...fast isnt fast enough...

WaimakRydah
06-29-2008, 03:43 AM
Usually i would prefer 4 strokes but recently for some reason I've really wanted to obtain a 250R for my next bike. I rode a YZ250 and think its perfect. Way better power then my mates CR125 but alot harder to kick but ive heard that 250Rs arent hard to kick. I rekon it would feel weird to have a ride 2 stroke racing as ive never ridden one before. The only trike Ive ever ridden is my own 200S I rekon it would feel weird having a trike with a clutch and that much power

SWIGIN
06-29-2008, 04:00 AM
its not what you ment but you can have both....lol

keister
06-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Usually i would prefer 4 strokes but recently for some reason I've really wanted to obtain a 250R for my next bike. I rode a YZ250 and think its perfect. Way better power then my mates CR125 but alot harder to kick but ive heard that 250Rs arent hard to kick. I rekon it would feel weird to have a ride 2 stroke racing as ive never ridden one before. The only trike Ive ever ridden is my own 200S I rekon it would feel weird having a trike with a clutch and that much power

Being recently rebuilt, it takes all of my 200 pounds coming down on the kicker to fire up the 350X. I think 250Rs require only about half the leg strength. R's kick real smooth - like butter. Early in the day, this is no problem, but after a long hard day of riding, it is all I can muster to kick the big ole 350.

SWIGIN
06-29-2008, 06:42 PM
my daughter at age 15 could start mine...you need the decomp hooked up and ajusted right and they are butter

Dammit!
06-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I have a hard time starting my 350x with shoes on. Hurts my feet. That thing is the main reason I bought my Thor 50/50's. :lol:

Tri-ZNate
06-29-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a hard time starting my 350x with shoes on. Hurts my feet. That thing is the main reason I bought my Thor 50/50's. :lol:

My X broke TheGreatGazoo's akilese (sp?) tendon and almost launches me if I dont push it just passed TDC. I love the torque of the X but the get-up-and-go of the 2 stroke is just plain fun

NOS_350X
06-30-2008, 01:26 AM
If a x is hard to start its eather, lean, rich, valves out, or decompression isnt working. Should be like butter and just as easy as a R to start.

Tri-ZNate
06-30-2008, 07:41 AM
If a x is hard to start its eather, lean, rich, valves out, or decompression isnt working. Should be like butter and just as easy as a R to start.

Starts 1st or second kick, just the 11:1 piston has a little more psi under it

And no decomp isnt working.

keister
07-01-2008, 11:35 AM

I didn't mean to imply that it is hard to start, it fires up first kick; just takes a big kick to do it. I have kicked many 250Rs and 350Xs, and all the X's required a strong leg. I always thought the muscle it takes to turn over an X is just the nature of the beast. Maybe I am wrong.

But back to his orignial question:
I wanted a 350X all my life, and now that I have one I absolutely love it!!
I chose it over the R mainly because I wanted less maintenance and more dependability on the trail.
That being said, now that I have a 350, I want REALLY want a liquid R.....

clong
07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I own both a 85R and 86X. Love them both equally. The R is a handfull but gives you real seat of the pants arm pulling power. The X is no slouch though. In fact I think the X rides like it actually has more power becasue you cna lug the thing into a full drift in any gear. Serioulsy, I can be only going 5 mph in 4 or 5th gear and lug right up anything. The R you got to shift and then hold on. If you ride over woops allot though, the R suspesnion makes a huge difference. I love both though. If I ever had recommend a trike though, it would a 350X, becasue they are so solid.

somekidwithanm4
05-30-2009, 11:41 PM
idk. the 250r is two stroke so it will have more power