PDA

View Full Version : oil leak on my 185s

714550lds
06-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I picked up a barn find 81 185s for $100 after a fleabay tank & carb she is running & pretty well but I have a pretty good oil leak from the bottom of the pull starter.
I assume that it should be dry behind the pull starter anyone have any idea what is behind there that would leak.
other then the leak I am pretty happy my 7 yr old loves to ride with me & the trike is a little tank I had a blaster but it sucked in the woods behind my house. The ATC just goes over everything.

TravEX
06-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Is the leak from the pull starter or the shifter shaft? Check out the shifter shaft good, that seal is easy to replace, just pick it out and press in the new one.

714550lds
06-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Looks like fron the pull starter
took it off & oil was inside.

oscarmayer
06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
oh SNAPS!!!

ok the seal for that is way harder to repalce. your going to have to take all the pull starter parts off and depending on what year you have, you "may or may not have to crack the case to get the seal out. some had a lip that made you press the seal from the inside and some had the lip where you pressed it from the outside. not sure which that is. good luck. make sure you get an impact to help you dissembly the starter cage and also to place it back on. (don't go overboard if using a air impact turn it down to liek 50-60 psi instead of 120)