PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With 250sx Carb

tmecars
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Hey everyone
In my ongoing saga of trying to get 2 trikes running at the same time, I pulled out the 250sx. I put in fresh fuel and with a shot of starting fluid, it will run but it won't stay running. I checked the fuel cap and it looks clean. I checked the fuel strainer it's clean. I'm going to go ahead and pull the carb and clean it but I'm having trouble getting the throttle cable loose. the bolts that hold the black plate on side of the carb have been stripped out (see pic below). The lock nut on the throttle cable turns but the cable threads into the carb. I cant rotate the carb because of the cable. Any ideas???
(I'm ordering a manual today!)

ALso, is there a heat shield that's supposed to fit between the airbox and the exhaust pipe? Look at my airbox!!

thanks,

T

freewheel3
06-23-2008, 05:55 PM
"I cant rotate the carb because of the cable. Any ideas???"

Take the throttle cable off at the throttle, remove it from it's usual route under the tank and remove them both together. Probably easier to get at those screws once the carb is off.
And, if I remember right, yes there is supposed to be a heat shield on the air box.

Havoxx
06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
"I cant rotate the carb because of the cable. Any ideas???"

Take the throttle cable off at the throttle, remove it from it's usual route under the tank and remove them both together. Probably easier to get at those screws once the carb is off.
And, if I remember right, yes there is supposed to be a heat shield on the air box.

Yea, it does have one, it's a metal plate, that's formed to the shape of the side of the box, I'd suggest doing what freewheel said as well, just take the cable off from the handlebar box, whatever it's called :D.

tmecars
06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Thank you, Gentlemen. I was hoping I could avoid that because I dont have a manual yet. I messing around these things with no guide. This 250sx is the most complex atv I own and this is the first time I've had to work on it.

T