PDA

View Full Version : Oh FLIPP!! I screwed something up! Timeing chain

Trails4life
06-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Okay, so I had a tick so I left it over night to cool off, this morning I adjusted the valves and then fired her up. Was sounding a lot better, but still a slight tap. I let it idle and then unscrewed the timeing chain bolt a little bit, and then it started to slap loud, (note, I only loosened it maybe one turn) I then tightened it back up but it kept slapping. So I hit the kill switch, and then tried to start it up again....no go.:cry:

I am kinda new to working on engines, so I am afraid to just start taking things apart. But I sure could use some ideas!

Note - I am supposed to go to the dunes in just over a week!!!:cool: Gotta get it fixed!!

money89tractors
06-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Sounds like you let the timing chain slide (wheel inside the head that guides the timing chain) fall, which allowed the timing chain to jump teeth.

-Phil

Erics350x
06-20-2008, 12:00 AM
you'll have to pull the timing cover and set the chain

Trails4life
06-20-2008, 12:15 AM
How hard is this gonna be? Like on experience level? Because like I said I am new to all of this. I have a manuel and I will read it, but I just don't wanna break anything (more)

Erics350x
06-20-2008, 12:22 AM
just take your time and double check the timing marks

Trails4life
06-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Okay, thanks a lot!
I will post my results. May they good or bad..

Trails4life
06-20-2008, 07:38 PM
I pulled off the timing cover and the chain seemed to be nice and firm. Looks to be brandnew aswell. I put it all back together and try to kick start it, did not work. I tried to push start it and it fired right up. But would not idle. I pushed started it again and topped out 3rd gear and then brought it down to neutral and idled just fine. But it is till tinging pretty bad. But atleast it starts now!

Twilight
06-20-2008, 07:47 PM
theres a O mark on the cam and then on the cam holder theres a mark to line it up with.

when you lined that up, was the timing marks correct under the bottom end?

do you have a manual?