PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this 200x?

kilabeez0
06-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Ok, this kid that i know has 3 200x's, 2 are junk but 1 is decent. It runs but smokes ALOT and needs a rebuild. It's all there and it's in decent shape. Other than the rebuild it needs a few small things, like the front brakes aren't working, he says they need to be bled but the bolt is frozen. There's probably a few other odds and ends also. His dad and my dad worked together for 25 years as firefighters, and he graduated with my little sister, so i'm not going to get screwed. But he wants a little more than it's worth. He wanted $800 but he'll take $500 and 4 subwoofers I have for a trade. It's an 85 200x, and he's got TONS of spare parts since he has 2 parts bikes, but i'm not interested in the parts bikes, and he doesn't really have a computer and isn't interested in ebay.
Also he could help me fix some things on it cuz he's a really nice kid and knows alot about bikes, quads u name it.

So what do u all think? I should buy afkete's in jersey for $650 huh?

Yamaha_Rules69
06-13-2003, 09:14 PM
$500 isnt bad for a running 200x. Really nice ones around here go for $800 to $1000 most of the time. It probly needs new rings, thats why it smokes. It wouldnt be too hard to fix up, and wouldnt cost too much either. 83-85 200x parts are also fairly easy to come by, so you should have no problems. My 2 cents

kilabeez0
06-13-2003, 09:25 PM
if i rebuild, would i be better off using performance parts? or should i just buy a piston, ring set, and have the kid selling it to me hone it (he offered). how much am i looking at spending?

Yamaha_Rules69
06-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Well high performance pistons and parts always cost more. If you get a high compression piston, you have to run a higher octane most of the time. A new piston with rings would probly be around $100 or so. If you get it bored out at a shop, It will probly be around $50. You may not even have to bore it. If the cylinder dosent have any scratches, theres no real reason to do it. Just install new rings, and save some money if the cylinder is unscratched. This is what I did to mine, and it runs fine, and dosent smoke at all.

kilabeez0
06-13-2003, 09:57 PM
so i might not even need a new piston, only new rings?

Yamaha_Rules69
06-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Yeah, if there are no scratches in the cylinder, thats pretty much all you need.

out_of_order
06-14-2003, 01:34 AM
You may not even have to bore it. If the cylinder dosent have any scratches, theres no real reason to do it.

If he buys performance parts for it then its best to have it bored out! I would say.....bore it out and put a little bit bigger piston in there since your goin to have it apart and probably buy a new one so why not spend a little extra money.

kilabeez0
06-14-2003, 08:30 AM
wut's the point of boring and putting in an oversized piston? increased horsepower? how big are the gains?

Howdy
06-14-2003, 10:39 AM
wut's the point of boring and putting in an oversized piston? increased horsepower? how big are the gains?

Unless you go drastically oversized you will not see enough gain in power. I high compression piston will make a noticable difference though.
Dollar for dollar spent a hi compression piston is the way to go.

Bottom line is to only bore out a cylinder if it's needs bored. Then only bore just enough to get the cylinder in spec's. Boring out a cylinder to gain power is just wasting your money.
Howdy

out_of_order
06-14-2003, 04:27 PM
bigger piston= more horsepower