PDA

View Full Version : 86 tecate gas tank restoration

joe_f7
06-16-2008, 11:19 PM
well i finally got my last piece that i need to complete my 86 KXT restoration project. only a couple minor pieces. anyway i tried to wet sand my tank and polish it, but the brown would not go away. so i used redcoat for a lining so it stops the fumes from recking the new exact match paint job i got. i gave the auto shop a new shroud and they matched it perfect. here are a couple of unistalled pics. can't wait to get this beast together. http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn90/joe_f7/100_0853.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn90/joe_f7/100_0854.jpg

TrikesRule_FOOL
06-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Looks SAWEET!!!

kxt250r
06-16-2008, 11:49 PM
looks brilliant, who makes that redcoat lining?

350xman
06-17-2008, 12:08 AM
If dont't mind me asking you how much you paid for getting the tank restored? I am thinking of getting that done to my 87 tecate 3 tank. Yours turned out very well.
Later 350xman

scooterroo
06-17-2008, 08:20 AM
hows the red cote stuff work? how many coats did you use and how long for it to dry?

joe_f7
06-17-2008, 06:01 PM
me and a buddy went in togther and split a 1 quart can of red-kote and there is still some left after doing mine and his big red tank. it was $35 shipped off of ebay. it is mostly used for rusty metal tanks but will seal off a plastic tank just fine. you just pour it in the tank and turn the tank all around to coat it inside. takes about 24 hours to dry. i only did one coat and it was plenty thick enough. the color matched paint job was $150. so i guess it's kind of like buying a new tank if you could.

The big 3
10-12-2008, 04:10 AM
how has the paint held up so far?

in this ebay auction it says the redkote is not for plastic tanks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-KOTE-FUEL-TANK-LINER-1-QUART_W0QQitemZ200262254457QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m200262254457&_trkparms=72%3A1419%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

not sure about this one tho?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-KOTE-DRY-FUEL-TANK-LINER-REDKOTE-RED-COAT_W0QQitemZ270238429323QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 3286.m20.l1116

ceaserthethird
10-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Look's great, Close to new as you can get!

let's see how it holds up when gas is poured in ....

chris200x
10-12-2008, 07:03 AM
I think I read somewhere that redcoat or kreem will not adhere to the smooth plastic. Only way for it to work is to find a way to etch or scuff up the inside of the tank so the liner has something to grab to. Not exactly sure how to go about doing that tho.

This has been a mystery to most of us on this site for the longest time. Someone needs to give it a shot and give a full report. I'd hate to see some folks wasting their hard earned money just to have it not work. I do know for sure that just painting the tank does not work. Gas vapors seep through the plastic and bubble the paint in no time.

Whose gonna take one for the team? lol!!!

scooterroo
10-12-2008, 08:46 AM
i have heard a few good things about his stuff....

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

and one good thing as opposed redkote and creem, it bonds to plastic!!!

SYKO
10-12-2008, 09:40 AM
i have heard a few good things about his stuff....

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

and one good thing as opposed redkote and creem, it bonds to plastic!!!

scooteroo your right... I forgot I had that stuff saved in my favorites.. on a dirtbike resto forum I visited a few times they were having great sucess with that stuff and painting their old plastic tanks..and lasting as well...

fabiodriven
10-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I was going to try that "Caswell" stuff and looked into "redcoat" as well. They both say they bond to plastic. However, I beleive the 86 Tecate tank is polyethylene? I might be wrong on this, actually I hope I am. Both of those products say they won't bond to polyethylene. But let us know how it does, I might try it anyways.

fabiodriven
06-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Bump...

How's the coating holding up? Anyone else use any of this stuff yet?

chris200x
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
We're just waiting on you! :D

I was going to try that "Caswell" stuff and looked into "redcoat" as well. They both say they bond to plastic. However, I beleive the 86 Tecate tank is polyethylene? I might be wrong on this, actually I hope I am. Both of those products say they won't bond to polyethylene. But let us know how it does, I might try it anyways.

Some one has have to already tried this....

fabiodriven
06-11-2009, 10:45 PM
I know Jeswinehart has pulled it off. I just sent him a PM to get some more details.

Hoosier_Daddy
06-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I was under the assumption that redcoat won't stick to polypropylene. How is it holding for you?

fabiodriven
06-12-2009, 07:20 AM
I got a PM from Jeswinehart this morning, his has held up for the last 3 years so I'monna go ahead and do it. The only question is if I'll go with Caswell or Redkote.

sblt500r
06-12-2009, 10:13 PM
i just used the caswell coating on my 86 tank. its been drying for almost a week now, and its nice and hard. i won't be using it for awhile so it will have plenty of time to set. its alot of prep work.

it says it won't stick to polethelyne, which is thin plastic, like butter tubs. but i mixed it in one, and it stuck to the real thin plastic great, it won't come off!

harryredtrike
06-12-2009, 11:52 PM
show some pics after a year.be cool to see how it held up.

Hoosier_Daddy
06-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I have had mine done close to 3 years now and after market decals are just starting to show some small bubbling on one decal.
That is the decal I peeled off and re stuck back on so I would think that might just have something to do with it i reckon.
I can still see the fuel level even thought the tank has been lined.
Nobody seeing my Tecate has ever commented on the fact i have 2 of the same decals on the tank :).
The folks i had cut them made the 2nd. set of decals the same for one side so they just gave them to me and i used them.
The correct set are still in the package.

johnVery cool. Something I can try as well.

I have a question for anyone in the know, I see a lot of people saying the plastic is polyethylene but I always thought the plastic is polypropylene. Anybody know for sure? If it's polypropylene then maybe that explains why people who are thinking it's polyethylene are having better then expected results?

krazykane
06-13-2009, 06:32 PM
just a thought but why not just buy a tank cover .

devilman
06-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Very cool. Something I can try as well.

I have a question for anyone in the know, I see a lot of people saying the plastic is polyethylene but I always thought the plastic is polypropylene. Anybody know for sure? If it's polypropylene then maybe that explains why people who are thinking it's polyethylene are having better then expected results?

found this on the web. according to step 3, i guess it is made from both.

Petroleum to Plastics
The technological road from oil field to finished plastic product has numerous fascinating side trips. Here’s the route taken in the petroleum-to-plastics process:

1. Petroleum is drilled and transported to a refinery.

2. Crude oil and natural gas are refined into ethane, propane, hundreds of other petrochemical products and, of course, fuel for your car.

3. Ethane and propane are "cracked" into ethylene and propylene, using high-temperature furnaces.

4. Catalyst is combined with ethylene or propylene in a reactor, resulting in "fluff," a powdered material (polymer) resembling laundry detergent.

5. Fluff is combined with additives in a continuous blender.

6. Polymer is fed to an extruder where it is melted.

7. Melted plastic is cooled then fed to a pelletizer that cuts the product into small pellets.

8. Pellets are shipped to customers.

9. Customers manufacture plastic products by using processes such as extrusion, injection molding, blow molding, etc.

IMO tank covers are ugly

torker
06-14-2009, 09:58 AM
just a thought but why not just buy a tank cover .

Who has them for sale? I don't think anyone make them anymore.
TORKER.

Hoosier_Daddy
06-14-2009, 03:06 PM
found this on the web. according to step 3, i guess it is made from both.

Petroleum to Plastics
The technological road from oil field to finished plastic product has numerous fascinating side trips. Here’s the route taken in the petroleum-to-plastics process:

1. Petroleum is drilled and transported to a refinery.

2. Crude oil and natural gas are refined into ethane, propane, hundreds of other petrochemical products and, of course, fuel for your car.

3. Ethane and propane are "cracked" into ethylene and propylene, using high-temperature furnaces.

4. Catalyst is combined with ethylene or propylene in a reactor, resulting in "fluff," a powdered material (polymer) resembling laundry detergent.

5. Fluff is combined with additives in a continuous blender.

6. Polymer is fed to an extruder where it is melted.

7. Melted plastic is cooled then fed to a pelletizer that cuts the product into small pellets.

8. Pellets are shipped to customers.

9. Customers manufacture plastic products by using processes such as extrusion, injection molding, blow molding, etc.

IMO tank covers are ugly
Very cool info. thanks for taking the time to find that and post.:beer

joe_f7
06-14-2009, 11:35 PM
mine is still doing great. no paint bubbling or decals. sat over winter with gas in it as well. i used redkote. the pics i took on the first page are just how it looks today. i usually give it a good look every time i fill it up. i didn't want to use the tank cover because of the way it looked. it's a cheap alternative, but to the extent i was restoring i wanted the new stock look. i haven't seen one that looks like mine yet.

99gsxr750
06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-1984-1985-KAWASAKI-KXT-TECATE-TANK-SKIN-COVER_W0QQitemZ310025846849QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item482efb0041&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

joe_f7
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
from what i've saw from members on here is looks good on those models.