PDA

View Full Version : What do You use to clean the inside of a motor???

speed20
06-13-2003, 04:03 PM
I just got a bottom end off ebay, and received it, and took a look at it and noticed that it had alot of excess junk....like leaves, grass, that kind of stuff
....any info would be appreciated...Thanks
Brad

J.D.
06-13-2003, 04:24 PM
With all that BS in there, I would completely open up the motor, blow out all the leaves and crap, then clean it all down with brake cleaner. That be me though...

out_of_order
06-13-2003, 04:28 PM
When i had a small gas engines class at school we always used solvent to clean the inside of the engines when we had them broke apart. The solvent is like a paint thinner which is the same stuff i believe but that would be something i would do! Hope this helps

samster143
06-13-2003, 04:41 PM
I bought an old bottom end and it too was full of sludge and crap. I got a few gallons of K1 (kerosene) and poured it through the engine and let it cone out the side cases along with all the crap. I put the engine in an old keg type bucket to collect the K1 when I poured it. It worked well and got the engine real clean. The used K1 also gets fires started real well! I would change the oil a few times within the first few hours of operation to get out any more forgin matter. This worked for me.

Dirtcrasher
06-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Kerosene works great and so does gasoline but gas is a bit more deadly/explosive. Solvent is best if you can buy it local. If any debris got in the cases then the main bearings gotta go and hope that the tranny etc bearings are ok. Even just a little dust in a brand new bearing will affect it.

My blaster sucked in mouse nest debris, I had to split the case and put new mains in but the rest were ok.

crazyorigin
06-13-2003, 08:05 PM
I would soak it in gas, better hope all the bearrings didnt seize up being open like that, was it dry?

wanta250r
06-14-2003, 12:47 AM
I use carb cleaner, gas, engine degreaser. Anything works. -D

speed20
06-15-2003, 03:25 PM
The motor turns over freely, shifts through all the gears, but it has the sludge and stuff in it....My dad and his friends got into about a case (of beer) and started talking about my 3 wheeler...and they all said kerosene so thats what we are going to use....Thanks alot for your help!