PDA

View Full Version : Carbarator question(gas leaking)

Derekh1234
06-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Hey,
I recently bought a fairly beat up ATC 185 and i am restoring it. When i got it running i ran it for about 5 minets, and then i noticed that gas started pooring out of the drain at the bottom of the fuel bulb. I tightend the screw and it was already very tight. So i further examined the carb and then noticed that on the side that the choke lever is on there is a nipple directly above the choke lever, not the gas nipple. It appears as tho there used to be a fuel line or some sort of tube connected to it. When i noticed this i restarted the motor and placed my finger over this nipple, and the fuel stopped leaking. Could someone tell me what is supposed to be hooked up to this thing and where it is supposed to go. Thanks
Derek

J.D.
06-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Probably an overflow tube. If gas is coming out, means your float is too high. Just go buy some gas line of that size, and make it go to the top somewhere towards the steering stem.

Derekh1234
06-13-2003, 04:05 PM
ok ill give that a try and ill let you know later this evening what the result is
thanks for your help

mick
06-13-2003, 07:55 PM
i had a similiar problem with my 200x. there are two overflows on my carb. the lower one below the fuel bowl would leak like crazy. I bought a carb rebuild kit, cleaned the carb, and it still leaked. the only possible causes that remained where the float was bad (seemd to be fine upon my visual inspection and tests out of the carb) or the float valve seat was bad (not replaceable). so with a new float costing $44 i decided to bid on a used carb from ebay. i just got one that said it worked fine when taken off the machine and it did for me too. only cost me $30 with the shipping and handling included. i put the rebuild kit into this new carb (just to be safe) and has worked great since, still don't know the cause of the prob with the old carb, don't really care either, i'm back on the trails. i'm not saying this is your prob because when i was having the trouble i saw a lot of posts of guys with the same problem but they solved it other ways. anyhow, just my two cents. good luck

250SX_rider
06-15-2003, 07:07 PM
U could ride with trailprotrailpro finger on it, LOL