PDA

View Full Version : Motoplat ignition?

3or4wheels
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi guys I'm new to the 3 wheel world and just finishing off my 87 Tecate refurb which I've had since the beginning of the year.The decals I'm changing and the exhaust is at this minute at the chromers.The motor is strong and appears to be standard and untouched,still has the blue witness marks on the head bolts,the only thing I can find which has been changed is the complete ignition system which is Motoplat and made in Spain.Have any of you guys any experience with this setup,is it reliable?I could go the Ricky stator route but the connectors for the CDI seem to be different and CDI's and coils don't seem to be too available at reasonable prices.

3or4wheels
06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Here's some pics

BigGreenMachine
06-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Motoplat is a good setup. Pretty rare to see one on a Tecate these days however. If it works then I would not bother to change it.

Your Tecate looks spotless. Very very nice!

Tecate250
06-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Does it still allow lights? I would not change it. Nice t3.

3or4wheels
06-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Yep still got the lights,there's an ac voltage regultor in the system.The flywheel looks the same size as an original setup and has the words "4 pole" on it.Do these setups have the timing marks on the stator?

3Razors
06-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Very cool Tecate. I have never seen a motoplat ignition that powered lights. PVL ignitions took over motoplat and they are virtually the same. You will need a dial indicator to set the timing. Check pentonimports or pro-flo but i think the later went out of business?

3or4wheels
06-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I did find a part number on I think was the CDI which I threw into a google search and it returned me somthing to do with a Cagiva part which is strange because the kicker was hashed up job which had the Cagiva logo on it.Would an ignition system off another machine work.It pulls like a train thru the gears although its a bit difficult to ride slowly as the powerband starts to kick in at real low revs.Is this normal?Like I said thru the gears is great but I do find myself looking for a sixth gear over fast terrain,I've got standard gearing 13/37,maybe I've got to hold in on a bit more in top and let it rev a bit more,I'm not sure.I have'nt riden a stroker for a few years,I'm more use'd too a four stoke(TRX450R)although I reckon thru the gears it would give the Honda a run for its money,maybe its the gearing,it just feels top is too short as the honda will pull for ever.Let me know guys as I've only riden thing only a handfull of times.