PDA

View Full Version : help pros and cons of 350x 250r

seddon
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
I have been looking for a new trike to ride. I have been kicking around the idea of a 350x or a 250r. i just wanted to know some pro an cons about each and what would be better for trail riding. and some drag racing for fun. and would the 350x beat a 250 yzf

SWIGIN
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
id go 350x

you can have anything you want from mild to wild

just like an R but for mainly trail riding you cant beat a thumper

and yes they CAN kill a 250cc whatever.......if you build it right you CAN kill 450s

Erics350x
06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
350x for the trails hands down. The X being a four stroke is alot cheaper to maintain and much more reliable, plus you don't have to buy dang two stroke oil.
As far as drag racing the 2-stroke will when but on tight trails with the right rider the X will smoke em (R guys will argue but i'll go toe to toe any day)
IMO the only con to the X is the suspension could use some improving, but i ride VERY hard

seddon
06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
yea i just dont what to get the wrong one and not like it i just wanted to hear form different people what they think. what ever one i get i want to extened the swiger and bigger piston cam the whole 9 yards what one would be better for hills

seddon
06-03-2008, 10:27 PM
would i be able to kick it over i only wiegh 135 pounds but it is all mucle

SWIGIN
06-03-2008, 11:46 PM
my 100 pound daughter starts my built 350x fine

stealthduner
06-04-2008, 12:30 AM
The 350X's actually aren't too bad to start. They have an automatic compression relase, they start pretty easy if you do it right.

Erics350x
06-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't extend the swinger by more than 2 or it wont handle well in the trails

longbedGTs
06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
would i be able to kick it over i only wiegh 135 pounds but it is all mucle

I used to have a tough time starting mine when I first got it, but after getting used to it and what it needs to start, its easy cold or hot. I weigh around 140lbs too.

SYKO
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
250R!!!! BOOOOOOO 4 stroke!!!! thats all I had for trail rigs was 250R's, then one day I got a 350X....super snoore fest! blub blub blub, hell no!! I wanted 5th gear 2 stroke speed through unreasonably tight trails! but if you trully went with a 2 stroke for a trail rig then get a air cooled 2 stroke, I had a bit more fun on that then my liquid cooled in the trails, but my liquid had a dead rear shock so that could have contributed to the lameness of it at the time.

1BFC
06-04-2008, 10:30 AM
I think the biggest difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke when it comes to trail riding is the simple fact that you can go very slow on a 4 stroke where you are limited to how slow you can go with the 2 stroke without abusing the clutch.

Sure, you can gear the 2 stroke down but then you have zero top end.

The ability to lug the engine down very low in the RPM just equates to less shifting/clutching and thus an easier time for trail riding / trail blazing.

If I'm going to be riding an area that is nothing but tight, twisting and rough trails (roots, rocks, etc..) I'll leave the R at home. It's just a scream'n demon and not really fun to ride in 1st gear all day with the clutch in half the time.

ScottZJ
06-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Well I have to say I always love riding the 350x with the torque and wheelie power just rocks. Its great for the woods and just has the speed when you need it.

The down fall with the 350x that I found, was 1: kicking it over was harder for me since I dont have the strength in my right leg like most (surfin accident when I was a kid took my knee cap off and never regained 100% strength), and 2: is if you dont ride a 350x very often, they tend to break down alot more than the 250r. I had issues with carb problems alot when they sat up with or without gas and bearing issues too. My R I have never had problems like that no matter how long it sat up.
Now an R set up for the woods is IMHO more fun than a 350x. It is lighter and more nimble to hit the corners hard and has tons of power out from the corners. If you have the right pipes and gearing set up on an R, it is so much easier to handle in the woods and you arent as worn out at the end of the day.

SWIGIN
06-04-2008, 11:30 AM
250R!!!! BOOOOOOO 4 stroke!!!! thats all I had for trail rigs was 250R's, then one day I got a 350X....super snoore fest! blub blub blub, hell no!! I wanted 5th gear 2 stroke speed through unreasonably tight trails! but if you trully went with a 2 stroke for a trail rig then get a air cooled 2 stroke, I had a bit more fun on that then my liquid cooled in the trails, but my liquid had a dead rear shock so that could have contributed to the lameness of it at the time.

if i remeber right you wern't bright enough to keep your 4 stroke runing so you sold it....lol

if built right a 350x will hang with any 250r

Dirtcrasher
06-04-2008, 04:04 PM
I love my 350X but it is a bit heavy and lacks the snap of a 2 stroke. If your a big jumper, stick with the 250R....

tri-Z ripper
06-04-2008, 04:21 PM
hell get one of each then decide to sell one IF YOU CAN!!

Erics350x
06-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Well I have to say I always love riding the 350x with the torque and wheelie power just rocks. Its great for the woods and just has the speed when you need it.

The down fall with the 350x that I found, was 1: kicking it over was harder for me since I dont have the strength in my right leg like most (surfin accident when I was a kid took my knee cap off and never regained 100% strength), and 2: is if you dont ride a 350x very often, they tend to break down alot more than the 250r. I had issues with carb problems alot when they sat up with or without gas and bearing issues too. My R I have never had problems like that no matter how long it sat up.
Now an R set up for the woods is IMHO more fun than a 350x. It is lighter and more nimble to hit the corners hard and has tons of power out from the corners. If you have the right pipes and gearing set up on an R, it is so much easier to handle in the woods and you arent as worn out at the end of the day.

R more reliable than and X? You must be smokin Crack :rolleyes: My 85 Has been kept outside all its life and road very hard and never had a single new part put in the engine. Lets see just 1 two-stroke make it that long.

seddon
06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
thanks a lot guys the 350x is what i been thinking about still trying to get some ideas but what would i have to do to the 350x to get it to keep up with a yz250f

big schott
06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
hell get one of each then decide to sell one IF YOU CAN!!

Thtats what I did... My 350X will kick the HELL out of my 250R. The R is more problem proned. The 350X I have yet to change a spark plug.
I give the props to the 350X!!:beer

ScottZJ
06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
R more reliable than and X? You must be smokin Crack :rolleyes: My 85 Has been kept outside all its life and road very hard and never had a single new part put in the engine. Lets see just 1 two-stroke make it that long.

I think you need to go back to school little boy and learn to read again LOL. What I SAID was having very many trikes, as I do, letting one sit around for months and months or close to a year(NOT BEING RIDDEN!!), a 350x had tons more problems then the 250r. Thats what I am saying, fella. I loved my 350x when I had it, but just didnt ride it enough to warrant keeping it and the more it sat up the more problems arose. Oh and its my opinion too, thats all.:D